Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 08:15 AM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
One could easily argue that this is a "weak-minded" defense you've set up here. It's not "Moneyball". It's not group think. You've set the burden of proof that you're willing to accept so high that it basically cannot be met, so you can never be proven wrong, hence you can shrug off all completely reasonable (and almost certainly correct) answers that you disagree with as "incorrect" and the truly "weak-minded". Porsche isn't going to tell you their numbers. Period. None of us are ever going to see that data, but you can look to automotive business analysts for very good information. It's amazing how easy it is to answer this with a simple Google search such as "porsche margin per model. Here's a Bloomberg article from 2019 on this very subject.

Here's another great article on this subject .

Another article from Motor1 on 911 profits.
You're still on that topic? That hijack ended days ago.
Try and keep up, ok?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:04 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Back to the OP question of when will allocations be released. I had been told early October. I called my CA and he said that the release on allocations have been pushed to early November. Northeast (NJ) dealer.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Back to the OP question of when will allocations be released. I had been told early October. I called my CA and he said that the release on allocations have been pushed to early November. Northeast (NJ) dealer.
I would think this is correct. I'm waiting on my Touring allocation timeline and was told this past week they should have a better idea in November which, to me, indicates they won't get their next set of allocation until then,
Old 10-04-2021, 11:59 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Again, I'm looking for verifiable sources and only verifiable sources. The more I hear, "well everyone knows this is true" the more I think I'm right
this line of thinking is how conspiracy theories gain traction, just saying... If everyone says 2+2=4 and you believe otherwise, odds are you're the one that's wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
fractionofawhole (10-04-2021), peterdouglas (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 02:43 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by zachr
this line of thinking is how conspiracy theories gain traction, just saying... If everyone says 2+2=4 and you believe otherwise, odds are you're the one that's wrong.
Nice try, A for effort but F for just plain being wrong. You're trying to compare a quantitative measure (2+2=4) to a qualitative one ("mo' car mo' profit!"). That's not even the same thing, son. I'm not mad at you, just disappointed in you
Old 10-04-2021, 02:45 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I would think this is correct. I'm waiting on my Touring allocation timeline and was told this past week they should have a better idea in November which, to me, indicates they won't get their next set of allocation until then,
Indeed its sounding like November is the prevailing timeline. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
One could easily argue that this is a "weak-minded" defense you've set up here. It's not "Moneyball". It's not group think. You've set the burden of proof that you're willing to accept so high that it basically cannot be met, so you can never be proven wrong, hence you can shrug off all completely reasonable (and almost certainly correct) answers that you disagree with as "incorrect" and the truly "weak-minded". Porsche isn't going to tell you their numbers. Period. None of us are ever going to see that data, but you can look to automotive business analysts for very good information. It's amazing how easy it is to answer this with a simple Google search such as "porsche margin per model. Here's a Bloomberg article from 2019 on this very subject.

Here's another great article on this subject .

Another article from Motor1 on 911 profits.
I will echo this.

As part of my work, I have seen the internal financials for both VAG and Porsche SE (the controlling shareholder of VAG), and while some of the particulars may be off, the general message is on point.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Nice try, A for effort but F for just plain being wrong. You're trying to compare a quantitative measure (2+2=4) to a qualitative one ("mo' car mo' profit!"). That's not even the same thing, son. I'm not mad at you, just disappointed in you
Well, now you get the F: both for effort and accuracy since a simple Google search would give the the proper definitions.

"Quantitative studies rely on numerical or measurable data. In contrast, qualitative studies rely on personal accounts or documents that illustrate in detail how people think or respond within society."

This is absolutely a quantitative measure: Profit per car by type. It's measurable in numbers - you can (and I am sure Porsche does) put in on a spreadsheet. There is nothing qualitative about it. Qualitative would be something like "The more expensive cars are more fun to own" or "Higher trim models make people happier".
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Go Bruins (10-04-2021), peterdouglas (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:29 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

You're still on that topic? That hijack ended days ago.
Try and keep up, ok?
Days ago? 😂 There are multiple replies about it from yesterday other than mine. You're a "scientist" and somehow missed all the evidence that was just literally sitting right in front of your face (quantitative: 4 replies on that subject from yesterday). Try and keep up, ok. I can only hope that you're a junior level scientist for the Lucky Charms marshmallow recipe or something ridiculously useless that won't harm anyone when your math is off by an order of magnitude.

Also, A+ on the deflection. Classic move. No one ever wants to simply say "I was wrong".
The following 2 users liked this post by fractionofawhole:
Old 10-04-2021, 07:14 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Well, now you get the F: both for effort and accuracy since a simple Google search would give the the proper definitions.

"Quantitative studies rely on numerical or measurable data. In contrast, qualitative studies rely on personal accounts or documents that illustrate in detail how people think or respond within society."

This is absolutely a quantitative measure: Profit per car by type. It's measurable in numbers - you can (and I am sure Porsche does) put in on a spreadsheet. There is nothing qualitative about it. Qualitative would be something like "The more expensive cars are more fun to own" or "Higher trim models make people happier".
I’m glad someone else thought this was worth saying… i debated and decided against, but I did enjoy a giggle at OP’s expense. Scientists also ought to know how to set a reasonable standard for burden of proof, and should be as happy to be proven wrong as right because it means the process is working. But here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Last edited by ipse dixit; 10-04-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:51 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 450 Posts

This sounds like the C8 Corvette forums now...sheesh.
The following 3 users liked this post by PHX:
Steve 96C4S (10-04-2021), theox (10-04-2021), westcoastj (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:22 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
This sounds like the C8 Corvette forums now...sheesh.
At least it’s not a PCCB thread.
The following users liked this post:
PHX (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:13 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

I do not have prior ownership experience but I think that should be viewed as a positive to some degree (bring a new customer into the marque, etc). So I guess I will just have to rely on dumb luck to get me through this allocation cycle. If it doesn't happen, that's OK, there will be more in the future.
yes - definitely appears that your best course would be to rely on dumb luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?