Sponsored by:

Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 10:02 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus

992S manual, I’ve been playing around with the drive modes. I’ve noticed that throttle response is actually sharper in the sports setting than it is in the sport plus setting.. My question is why?
My M2 competition sport plus is the sharpest throttle response.
Anybody else experience this? Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-19-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
992S manual, I’ve been playing around with the drive modes. I’ve noticed that throttle response is actually sharper in the sports setting than it is in the sport plus setting.. My question is why?
My M2 competition sport plush is the sharpest throttle response less than sport.
My theory is that Sport plus is for track driving and provides the most linear throttle response. Regular Sport mode has more aggressive tip in for street driving and subjectively feels faster than a linear response.

The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
nova996 (09-21-2021), Staffie Guy (04-14-2023), westcoastj (04-17-2023)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:12 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
My theory is that Sport plus is for track driving and provides the most linear throttle response. Regular Sport mode has more aggressive tip in for street driving and subjectively feels faster than a linear response.
those were exactly my thoughts. It just seems strange to me that the highest setting does not have the quickest throttle response. I have 3000 miles on the car and I just noticed it driving today. I was usually driving it in either normal or sports plus.I dont use sport because the exhaust burbles which I dislike .
Every other car that I’ve owned that had drive modes sport plus was always the sharpest?carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-19-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Interesting, are others noticing this?

I don’t think I’ve noticed a reduced throttle response in S+
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

There might be something wrong with the OP's car.

https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ving-modes.htm
Old 09-19-2021, 11:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
There might be something wrong with the OP's car.

https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ving-modes.htm
I don’t think so. Every 992 I’ve driven is like this. Regular Sport mode feels peppier than Sport+.

To me it feels like a throttle map thing - Sport plus is plenty responsive, but the mapping feels more aggressive with regular Sport.

Last edited by rk-d; 09-19-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:42 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Interesting, are others noticing this?

I don’t think I’ve noticed a reduced throttle response in S+
same. I frequently use sport+ on the highway and enjoy it immensely
Old 09-19-2021, 11:51 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

I experienced this in the first 20 minutes of my test drive a year ago in a 992 C2S and it remains the case in my own C2S. There is a smooth linear feel in Sports Plus while Sports throttle feels aggressive partly because of how the PDK shifts in that mode. It is not by any means a lower mode in terms of power delivery. I prefer Sports in the streets and Plus when a larger stretch of asphalt predictably lies ahead.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

I think people are confusing "sharper" with more aggressive. The two are not the same.

Throttle mapping in Sport+ is indeed more aggressive, but throttle response is the same between Sport and Sport+
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:25 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a manual C4S with 900 miles on it and have noticed exactly the same thing. Easiest test is to switch between modes at highway speeds and you’ll immediately notice what feels like a small drop in RPM (maybe 100).
Old 09-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Could it be (and I'm obviously less knowledgeable about this than a lot of folks here) that the increased "throttle response" you are feeling in Sport mode is actually due to the fact that you are driving in a higher gear?

In other words, in Sport Plus the PDK automatically downshifts and thus you immediately hit higher RPMs. Even though acceleration is better at lower gears, sometimes it feels like the opposite. I don't know, sometimes it feels that way to me...
Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Could it be (and I'm obviously less knowledgeable about this than a lot of folks here) that the increased "throttle response" you are feeling in Sport mode is actually due to the fact that you are driving in a higher gear?

In other words, in Sport Plus the PDK automatically downshifts and thus you immediately hit higher RPMs. Even though acceleration is better at lower gears, sometimes it feels like the opposite. I don't know, sometimes it feels that way to me...
Torque is pretty flat, so not sure that’s what it is.

This is not a new thing. The 991.2 had similar behavior. It’s an intentional design. Throttle mapping is more linear and progressive in Sport Plus - you don’t necessarily want a hair trigger throttle on the track.

Response and engine performance is maximized in Sport plus, but the mapping seems to make throttle more sensitive in regular Sport which is not necessarily ideal for track driving, but is more fun on the street.

My theory anyway - I don’t think anyone had a firm answer on the 991.2 boards when this has come up before.

Last edited by rk-d; 09-20-2021 at 10:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Skarz (11-08-2021), zunayed (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Carl drives a manual.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not an expert but it sounds like some people are confusing throttle/pedal mapping and transmission mapping. Obviously, Sport mode will allow a lower RPM while not under load, as well as shift later in the rev range when under load than compared to Standard. Sport Plus will increase the min rpm even more before downshifting, respond quicker to throttle inputs for shifting when under load, and allow the motor to remain in a higher rev range for longer (in anticipation of more input) before shifting to a lower gear if load has been reduced.

This is just my opinion, but I don't know if Sport vs Sport Plus has a different throttle mapping or not because I can't tell honestly. Throttle mapping is purely 'how much engine output does it request at 30% throttle input'? A more "sensitive" throttle mapping (like BMWs do) will dictate 50% throttle (or power output) at 30% pedal input in a Sport Plus mode, whereas Sport may demand 40% throttle at 30% pedal input.

Having driven tens of thousands of miles in 2 different M5s, and now 10k miles in my 992, the throttle mappings between Sport vs Sport Plus feels about the same to me. For track driving (see blue line below), you want as linear as input as possible, so I appreciate that it's not as sensitive personally. The instructors at the BMW driving school would all say keep it in comfort because the throttle mapping is more linear because Sport Plus is going to be harder to modulate with precision.

Found this online for a quick diagram...this isn't for a Porsche, but it illustrates throttle/pedal mapping. Obviously the transmission tuning goes hand in hand and can influence how people perceive the throttle/pedal mapping, but they are still independent of each other.

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by fstezaws:
Captain P (04-16-2023), nova996 (09-21-2021), Tupper (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:32 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Perhaps some combination of nonlinearities/lags in the software of throttle/gearbox/turbos, manifesting differently in various acceleration scenarios...

Have driven 992TTS >5K mis as DD (weekdays in <35MPH urban driving), always in SportPlus mode, as found it has notably sharper overall response than Sport mode (in my 5min expt w/Sport mode, which I found too slow/sloppy to ever try again)

However, even in SportPlus, TTS has a few situations occurring when routinely accelerating @<35MPH where there are annoying dead spots in the responsiveness: sources of the lags/nonlinearities are less relevant than reality that its drivetrain is poorly programmed/titrated for various driving scenarios, despite all the silly/useless modes and fancy alleged response curves the mfrs claim...

Quick Reply: Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus