Sponsored by:

Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 10:04 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Seems like they need to make Gasville great again….

Originally Posted by 1957Goldtop
Shouldn't you be in some all electric forum? Oh wait... Those aren't as "clean" as we thought either ... How about a "I only walk and wear biodegradable shoes" forum 😁
is that the best you can do? I suppose I shouldn't expect too much from flatulent geezers who fart as they walk [this is a joke, no offense intended] (ps. my other car is all electric and my weed grinder is biodegradable )

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-15-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:21 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
I find that turning PSM off solves all of my problems

jokes aside

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a small village named Gasville. The villagers were known for their love of flashy cars and thrills. The most famous car in the village was the Porsche-Whizbang 3000, a unique vehicle with a special feature.

One day, a young villager named Timmy was given a brand new Porsche-Whizbang 3000 as a birthday gift. Eager to show off his new ride, he invited all his friends to take a tour of the village. As they explored the different modes, they came across two unique settings: "Sport" and "Sport+."

Timmy's friends were intrigued, and they convinced him to test the "Sport" mode. Little did they know that this mode was also known as the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. As Timmy stepped on the accelerator, the car started making loud burbles and fart noises, releasing clouds of wasted fuel.

At first, the young villagers found the noises hilarious, but soon, they realized the implications of wasting so much gas. The older villagers frowned upon Timmy's antics and whispered amongst themselves, "Oh my god, what a loser! His car is literally farting every 5 feet!"

Embarrassed and ashamed, Timmy switched off the "Sport" mode and vowed to become a more responsible driver. He used the experience as a lesson and started a campaign to educate the village about the importance of fuel efficiency and eco-friendly driving habits.

Over time, the villagers adopted more sustainable practices, and Gasville transformed into a cleaner and greener place. Timmy's Porsche-Whizbang 3000 served as a constant reminder of the importance of being mindful of the environment, and the villagers of Gasville lived happily ever after, driving their cars with care and respect for the planet.

And so, the magic of change and awareness spread throughout the land, turning the once wasteful village into a shining example of environmental stewardship.

-------

tl;dr: "Sport" mode = the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. Don't use it. The fart noises aren't impressing anyone. If you want to experience the car at "its best", turn off PSM and stay in Sport+.

Reminds me a bit of my neighbor’s 3 teenage kids, who love to rev their loud, bright red Camaro ZL1….while it sits idling for what seems like eternity. . . I don’t live in the happy community of “Gasville”, but still get to experience many of the same joys of those who live in Gasville.

Full disclaimer, I like the kids, and very respectful. But thankfully, they are aging up and will soon be heading off to collage, where they can then annoy (or impress) their frat “bro’s”. 😎

But change is on the way as I, along with many of my neighbors, made, and are making the switch to EV driving. Not exclusively, but for routine chores, absolutely.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 10:28 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Reminds me a bit of my neighbor’s 3 teenage kids, who love to rev their loud, bright red Camaro ZL1….while it sits idling for what seems like eternity. . . I don’t live in the happy community of “Gasville”, but still get to experience many of the same joys of those who live in Gasville.

Full disclaimer, I like the kids, and very respectful. But thankfully, they are aging up and will soon be heading off to collage, where they can then annoy (or impress) their frat “bro’s”. 😎

But change is on the way as I, along with many of my neighbors, made, and are making the switch to EV driving. Not exclusively, but for routine chores, absolutely.

EV driving for little trips is really nice, it costs me $4 to go 200-250 miles in my EV (depending on season), which would be a tough ask in any non-electric car. My new EV also cost a lot less than the average new car these days. My favorite part is having the "gas station" in my garage. I would of course never use it for road trips, but for the little things it gets the job done well. I still drive my 911 in Sport+ to do errands and get food, etc. often though, it is more fun and slightly but not that much less "fuel effective" than normal.

I wonder if your neighbors teenage kids are the ones paying for gas....maybe they look at things differently when they eventually realize its costing them .50 cents per mile in just gas. Thats 1/120th of a new madden game per mile that they could have had in their repertoire, instead they had to go around farting (or whatever kids are buying these days for the example). I suppose I might be doing too much, assuming they'll do the math

---

back on topic:

The whole existence of the Sport mode seems counterproductive to Porsche's whole "we have to come up with a solution to alternative fuels because the govts wont let us use fuel anymore wahhh wahh" argument.......thats cool and all....but how about in the interim stop putting fuel waster modes on your cars....and govts will let you make gas engines longer.........ahh well, I guess fart noises are more important If you want "more throttle response" placebo or something just turn off PSM in normal or sport+.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-15-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

jokes aside

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a small village named Gasville. The villagers were known for their love of flashy cars and thrills. The most famous car in the village was the Porsche-Whizbang 3000, a unique vehicle with a special feature.

One day, a young villager named Timmy was given a brand new Porsche-Whizbang 3000 as a birthday gift. Eager to show off his new ride, he invited all his friends to take a tour of the village. As they explored the different modes, they came across two unique settings: "Sport" and "Sport+."

Timmy's friends were intrigued, and they convinced him to test the "Sport" mode. Little did they know that this mode was also known as the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. As Timmy stepped on the accelerator, the car started making loud burbles and fart noises, releasing clouds of wasted fuel.

At first, the young villagers found the noises hilarious, but soon, they realized the implications of wasting so much gas. The older villagers frowned upon Timmy's antics and whispered amongst themselves, "Oh my god, what a loser! His car is literally farting every 5 feet!"

Embarrassed and ashamed, Timmy switched off the "Sport" mode and vowed to become a more responsible driver. He used the experience as a lesson and started a campaign to educate the village about the importance of fuel efficiency and eco-friendly driving habits.

Over time, the villagers adopted more sustainable practices, and Gasville transformed into a cleaner and greener place. Timmy's Porsche-Whizbang 3000 served as a constant reminder of the importance of being mindful of the environment, and the villagers of Gasville lived happily ever after, driving their cars with care and respect for the planet.

And so, the magic of change and awareness spread throughout the land, turning the once wasteful village into a shining example of environmental stewardship.

-------

tl;dr: "Sport" mode = the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. Don't use it. The fart noises aren't impressing anyone. If you want to experience the car at "its best", turn off PSM and stay in Sport+.
Is Porsche going to make these Whizbang 3000's available to us in the USA? Is there going to be a heavy ADM? How soon after ordering is the wait time? Should I order it with PSE? What wheels would you guys suggest?
And finally will there be a Whizbang 3000 S,GTS?
The following 2 users liked this post by Guzzgreg:
porsche.earth (04-15-2023), Reano (06-30-2024)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:05 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Is Porsche going to make these Whizbang 3000's available to us in the USA? Is there going to be a heavy ADM? How soon after ordering is the wait time? Should I order it with PSE? What wheels would you guys suggest?
And finally will there be a Whizbang 3000 S,GTS?
One more question will model delete still be available? I'm going to have to ask my local dealer about getting on the list for this Whizbang 3000 soon, but I expect it must be a few miles long already

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-15-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Guzzgreg (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:06 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

EV driving for little trips is really nice, it costs me $4 to go 200-250 miles in my EV (depending on season), which would be a tough ask in any non-electric car. My new EV also cost a lot less than the average new car these days. My favorite part is having the "gas station" in my garage. I would of course never use it for road trips, but for the little things it gets the job done well. I still drive my 911 in Sport+ to do errands and get food, etc. often though, it is more fun...............
Not to deflect, but I find the instant torque, smoothness and quiet of EV driving almost as intoxicating as driving my Porsche….certainly more than driving any of my other ICE cars.

Yes, filling up at home is soooo nice/convenient. But for now, I get two years of free charging, so if I need a major refill of electrons, I do so for free at my local EA charging station about 5 miles away, and use the home charger just to top off if going on a long trip.

Speaking of longer trips - I’ve been on 4 longer trips in my EV: Chicago (1,600 miles round trip) and Philly 4 times (240 miles each round trip). The round trip Philly trip I can make without having to re-fill on the road. But unlike some, I’ve had no issues, zero, re-charging away from home. I no longer have range “anxiety”, which I think has been way overblown by the media.

I wonder if your neighbors teenage kids are the ones paying for gas....maybe they look at things differently when they eventually realize it’s costing them .50 cents per mile in just gas.
They don’t. Both mom and dad are MD’s. Parents also paid for the car…although I presume they had their boys contribute something?

The whole existence of the Sport mode seems counterproductive to Porsche's whole "we have to come up with a solution to alternative fuels because the govts wont let us use fuel anymore wahhh wahh" argument.......maybe just....stop putting fuel waster modes on your cars....and govts will let you make gas engines longer.........
When I use to have my own business, i travelled a lot (for business) in Europe. My impression was that most Europeans are far more concerned about cutting gas…especially when petrol is more expensive. They also care more about the environment than most Americans do. Back in the day, I owned a 2nd generation Prius (this was before EV’s really hit the market), and over 11-12 years of steady use, I conservatively saved over $20k in gas, compared to what I had been driving that also required premium gas. I sold the Prius and bought the EV. Just got hit with my two year Porsche maintenance (basically for oil, filters and flush brake fluid) - $1,617.50. Next year will be considerably more. 😱 But I don’t expect to even come close to such a ridiculous number, even after 5 years of EV driving. It’s not always about the environment for some, but about saving on transportation costs.

PS - IMO, if the Gov wants to precipitate a massive change to EV’s, they don’;t need a mandate. Just keep pushing up the Federal/state tax on gas. I remember, back when the price of regular gas went up to $4 or $5/gallon, sales of gas efficient cars like the Prius, etc went through the roof. The sales of hybrids and EV definitely correlate with gas prices.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:21 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Not to deflect, but I find the instant torque, smoothness and quiet of EV driving almost as intoxicating as driving my Porsche….certainly more than driving any of my other ICE cars.

Yes, filling up at home is soooo nice/convenient. But for now, I get two years of free charging, so if I need a major refill of electrons, I do so for free at my local EA charging station about 5 miles away, and use the home charger just to top off if going on a long trip.

Speaking of longer trips - I’ve been on 4 longer trips in my EV: Chicago (1,600 miles round trip) and Philly 4 times (240 miles each round trip). The round trip Philly trip I can make without having to re-fill on the road. But unlike some, I’ve had no issues, zero, re-charging away from home. I no longer have range “anxiety”, which I think has been way overblown by the media.
For me the range anxiety isn't really an issue, sometimes I've gotten home with <20 miles left of range, the energy indicator is fairly accurate so with some driving style adjustments making it to chargers is no problem in most if not all cases
My bigger problem is the charging times, my EV was designed for city use and for home charging (free home charging installation included when I got the car) - the fast charging speeds aren't fast enough to my liking I think, maybe in a few years newer models and better chargers will be much more satisfying w.r.t. time to charge.

The instantness when you step on the pedal is really nice, and I definitely agree on smoothness - sometimes my EV almost feels too quiet, but I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing just different. Gotta be careful what I put in the center console, if it rattles it makes more noise than the car

They don’t. Both mom and dad are MD’s. Parents also paid for the car…although I presume they had their boys contribute something?
Makes sense

When I use to have my own business, i travelled a lot (for business) in Europe. My impression was that most Europeans are far more concerned about cutting gas…especially when petrol is more expensive. They also care more about the environment than most Americans do. Back in the day, I owned a 2nd generation Prius (this was before EV’s really hit the market), and over 11-12 years of steady use, I conservatively saved over $20k in gas, compared to what I had been driving that also required premium gas. I sold the Prius and bought the EV. Just got hit with my two year Porsche maintenance (basically for oil, filters and flush brake fluid) - $1,617.50. Next year will be considerably more. 😱 But I don’t expect to even come close to such a ridiculous number, even after 5 years of EV driving. It’s not always about the environment for some, but about saving on transportation costs.

PS - IMO, if the Gov wants to precipitate a massive change to EV’s, they don’;t need a mandate. Just keep pushing up the Federal/state tax on gas. I remember, back when the price of regular gas went up to $4 or $5/gallon, sales of gas efficient cars like the Prius, etc went through the roof. The sales of hybrids and EV definitely correlate with gas prices.
I just finished the first 10k in my EV, entirely maintenance free still outside of steering being a tiny bit off center when I got the car (not really an issue just needed to be aligned) - I've heard of people getting these cars to 150k miles without needing much maintenance outside of consumables replacements....it will be interesting to see.

Now that gas prices are back above 5 in my area and EV manufacturers have had a chance to catch up from last years overdemand-undersupply situation, at least a bit, EV demand should start trickling back up...just my guess

-----

back on topic:

just turn psm off

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-15-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:37 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

RE: “My bigger problem is the charging times, my EV was designed for city use and for home charging (free home charging installation included when I got the car) - the fast charging speeds aren't fast enough to my liking I think, maybe in a few years newer models will be much more satisfying w.r.t. time to charge.”

Longest I spend at a charge station is 30 minutes (I take it to 80%), which, if I am on a trip with wife and dog, gives us time to get a snack, walk the dog and go to the bathroom…so really not a waste of time.

Charging speeds are coming down, but I don’t expect them to equal the time it takes to fill up an ICE car.

I think demand for EV’s will steadily go up, but I expect it will be more gradual as EV prices (on average) are still going up, and talks of a looming recession continue, with interest rates still not coming down - yet.

But where I live, Annapolis, Md, when gas prices get over $4.00 (for regular), that’s when interest in hybrids or EV’s noticeably climb. Sales are linked to gas prices. But I don’t really care what other people do…I enjoy my EV, and in another year or two, will get a second EV.
porsche.earth (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 10:26 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

So I just found this Porsche press release from 2021: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...day-24385.html

"Sport mode brings the 911 to life

Here, the road widens, and with the asphalt now dry and the way ahead clear, it’s the ideal moment to turn the mode switch clockwise to 12 o’clock and ‘Sport.' With a satisfying bark from the exhaust and a raise in the pitch of the engine, Sport mode seems to bring the 911 to life. Throttle response is sharper and shifts from the 8-speed PDK transmission are noticeably quicker. The suspension stiffens to minimize body roll, dynamic engine mounts engage to enhance handling balance still further and those closed valves in the sports exhaust open up at last, allowing the boxer’s sonorous flat-six to echo off the high hillsides."

Sport+ is described in the press release as:

"Ideally suited to circuit driving, Sport + is designed to maximize performance from the 992’s chassis and drivetrain, with instantaneous throttle responses, lightning fast shifts and markedly sharper steering and stiffened suspension. And on the empty circuit, Porsche’s rich racing lineage is immediately evident, the Carrera 4S revelling in that unique mix of traction, balance and steering precision to hunt out every apex before powering on to the next. The immediacy of the controls in Sport +, the physical and emotional connection between car and driver, underlines the fact that for all its touring potential, the 911 remains at its heart a true sports car."
FWIW
Old 04-16-2023, 11:05 AM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
So I just found this Porsche press release from 2021: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...day-24385.html

"Sport mode brings the 911 to life

Here, the road widens, and with the asphalt now dry and the way ahead clear, it’s the ideal moment to turn the mode switch clockwise to 12 o’clock and ‘Sport.' With a satisfying bark from the exhaust and a raise in the pitch of the engine, Sport mode seems to bring the 911 to life. Throttle response is sharper and shifts from the 8-speed PDK transmission are noticeably quicker. The suspension stiffens to minimize body roll, dynamic engine mounts engage to enhance handling balance still further and those closed valves in the sports exhaust open up at last, allowing the boxer’s sonorous flat-six to echo off the high hillsides."

Sport+ is described in the press release as:

"Ideally suited to circuit driving, Sport + is designed to maximize performance from the 992’s chassis and drivetrain, with instantaneous throttle responses, lightning fast shifts and markedly sharper steering and stiffened suspension. And on the empty circuit, Porsche’s rich racing lineage is immediately evident, the Carrera 4S revelling in that unique mix of traction, balance and steering precision to hunt out every apex before powering on to the next. The immediacy of the controls in Sport +, the physical and emotional connection between car and driver, underlines the fact that for all its touring potential, the 911 remains at its heart a true sports car."
FWIW
Ha, nice marketing... not really saying anything different...

Option 1:
Enjoy the thrill of top performance and excitement. Use this option to get the most out of your XXX

Option 2:
When you want exhilaration that won't soon be forgotten with peak capabilities, switch option 2 on and see why you chose XXX

Old 04-16-2023, 12:13 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

{PS - IMO, if the Gov wants to precipitate a massive change to EV’s, they don’;t need a mandate. Just keep pushing up the Federal/state tax on gas. I remember, back when the price of regular gas went up to $4 or $5/gallon, sales of gas efficient cars like the Prius, etc went through the roof. The sales of hybrids and EV definitely correlate with gas prices.}

If Jo BiDeng gets another term (god help us) you can bank on a mileage tax to make up for the lost revenue from gasoline tax as soon as there are more green vehicles on the road. Although he will never know it.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:53 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Ha, nice marketing... not really saying anything different...

Option 1:
Enjoy the thrill of top performance and excitement. Use this option to get the most out of your XXX

Option 2:
When you want exhilaration that won't soon be forgotten with peak capabilities, switch option 2 on and see why you chose XXX
From an AI friend:

"In a Porsche 911 992 from the 2020-2024 model years, throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode. Sport+ mode offers more aggressive throttle response, quicker gear shifts, and more dynamic handling characteristics, providing a more performance-oriented driving experience. Sport mode is a step above the standard driving mode, providing a sportier feel than the normal mode, but not as aggressive as Sport+ mode.

The press release does not counter the statement that throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode. The press release states that in Sport mode, "Throttle response is sharper and shifts from the 8-speed PDK transmission are noticeably quicker." It then goes on to describe Sport+ mode: "Ideally suited to circuit driving, Sport+ is designed to maximize performance from the 992’s chassis and drivetrain, with instantaneous throttle responses, lightning-fast shifts and markedly sharper steering and stiffened suspension." This further supports the initial statement that throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode."

Until proven otherwise I'm going to now believe this (unproven, probably wrong) information

RE: “My bigger problem is the charging times, my EV was designed for city use and for home charging (free home charging installation included when I got the car) - the fast charging speeds aren't fast enough to my liking I think, maybe in a few years newer models will be much more satisfying w.r.t. time to charge.”

Longest I spend at a charge station is 30 minutes (I take it to 80%), which, if I am on a trip with wife and dog, gives us time to get a snack, walk the dog and go to the bathroom…so really not a waste of time.

Charging speeds are coming down, but I don’t expect them to equal the time it takes to fill up an ICE car.

I think demand for EV’s will steadily go up, but I expect it will be more gradual as EV prices (on average) are still going up, and talks of a looming recession continue, with interest rates still not coming down - yet.

But where I live, Annapolis, Md, when gas prices get over $4.00 (for regular), that’s when interest in hybrids or EV’s noticeably climb. Sales are linked to gas prices. But I don’t really care what other people do…I enjoy my EV, and in another year or two, will get a second EV.
Ahh maybe I need to go take a road trip in my EV just to see how it is, I'm probably overthinking the waiting around time.
I am planning for a second (maybe third) EV as well, just waiting for some specific ones.

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

If Jo BiDeng gets another term (god help us) you can bank on a mileage tax to make up for the lost revenue from gasoline tax as soon as there are more green vehicles on the road. Although he will never know it.
That'll probably happen in the future regardless of who is president...

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-16-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:14 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 36 Posts

From an AI friend:

"In a Porsche 911 992 from the 2020-2024 model years, throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode. Sport+ mode offers more aggressive throttle response, quicker gear shifts, and more dynamic handling characteristics, providing a more performance-oriented driving experience. Sport mode is a step above the standard driving mode, providing a sportier feel than the normal mode, but not as aggressive as Sport+ mode.

The press release does not counter the statement that throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode. The press release states that in Sport mode, "Throttle response is sharper and shifts from the 8-speed PDK transmission are noticeably quicker." It then goes on to describe Sport+ mode: "Ideally suited to circuit driving, Sport+ is designed to maximize performance from the 992’s chassis and drivetrain, with instantaneous throttle responses, lightning-fast shifts and markedly sharper steering and stiffened suspension." This further supports the initial statement that throttle response is sharper in Sport+ mode compared to Sport mode."

Until proven otherwise I'm going to now believe this (unproven, probably wrong) information

Ahh maybe I need to go take a road trip in my EV just to see how it is, I'm probably overthinking the waiting around time.
I am planning for a second (maybe third) EV as well, just waiting for some specific ones.

That'll probably happen in the future regardless of who is president...
how does "throttle response" apply to a manual? Shifts are when I choose, but is throttle response different in a manual?
Old 04-17-2023, 10:12 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

jokes aside

-------

You have made this point before, but I am not sure you are correct - opinions about exhaust noises aside. I agree that sport is causing fuel inefficiency, but I suspect that Sport+ keeping you in a lower gear and significantly higher RPMs might actually translate into poorer fuel economy. I doubt there are any objective data points on this, but I would be surprised at all that one would get more mileage to a tank driven solely in Sport than one driven solely in Sport+.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:26 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

how does "throttle response" apply to a manual? Shifts are when I choose, but is throttle response different in a manual?
I would like some more feedback on this as I do not feel any sharper throttle response in Sport+ in my manual.

Quick Reply: Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus