Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 base or BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 07:18 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

For the record, after over thinking this decision for far too long, I apparently stopped thinking and ended up with a 718 BGTS 4.0. I optimized for driving experience and fun. Also, the 718 was already expensive enough, so going to a T or even a Base 992 was too much. Honestly, the M3 was the better solution for my use case because a 2 seater convertible is the most impractical car I can think of. But it sure puts a smile on my face when I drive it and that's the point.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:41 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
For the record, after over thinking this decision for far too long, I apparently stopped thinking and ended up with a 718 BGTS 4.0. I optimized for driving experience and fun. Also, the 718 was already expensive enough, so going to a T or even a Base 992 was too much. Honestly, the M3 was the better solution for my use case because a 2 seater convertible is the most impractical car I can think of. But it sure puts a smile on my face when I drive it and that's the point.
Love it.

After starting a similar thread on 992 base vs M3, i too endes up with 992 S.
I have rear seats and I'm stressed on how to stuff the kids. Theres not much space.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Congrats on the 992S. That is one fantastic car. The 992 still turns my head every time I see one. But yes, the seats sure are tiny. Maybe we will both end up switching to an M3 in the future. For now, I'm keeping my old car for family, dog, etc. The 718 is for me.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:54 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Love it.

After starting a similar thread on 992 base vs M3, i too endes up with 992 S.
I have rear seats and I'm stressed on how to stuff the kids. Theres not much space.
My next Porsche will be a 992S with an APR tune.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:24 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> But yes, the seats sure are tiny
I'm of average build and have found the seat / cockpit *extremely* comfortable with the 18 ways. Most of my 6'+ taller friends do too (even with the sunroof), but if you are 'plus sized' then perhaps any car of this nature might be a tighter fit compared to a 'sedan'.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:45 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> But yes, the seats sure are tiny
I'm of average build and have found the seat / cockpit *extremely* comfortable with the 18 ways. Most of my 6'+ taller friends do too (even with the sunroof), but if you are 'plus sized' then perhaps any car of this nature might be a tighter fit compared to a 'sedan'.
I meant the backseats of the 992 are tiny. Even kids after a certain age have trouble fitting back there, let alone adults. The front seats are no problem at all. I'm actually surprised how well tall people can fit in a 911.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:25 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I was really into BMW and quite a longtime member of the Bimmerforums, spent a lot of time and hours tinkering in the E30/E36/E46 eras. Things may have changed in the newer iterations but the most basic difference I ever heard that rang true was its consumer grade vs commercial grade (BMW vs Porsche). There is a degree of fortitude to the Porsche cars which supports the notion that they were meant to be driven hard vs just looking good.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I was really into BMW and quite a longtime member of the Bimmerforums, spent a lot of time and hours tinkering in the E30/E36/E46 eras. Things may have changed in the newer iterations but the most basic difference I ever heard that rang true was its consumer grade vs commercial grade (BMW vs Porsche). There is a degree of fortitude to the Porsche cars which supports the notion that they were meant to be driven hard vs just looking good.
I'm no BMW apologist, and nothing they are making now appeals to me, but this is just not true.

I drove multiple M3/M4/M5 (F80/F10 gen) *flat* out at the M performance driving school. It is incredible what these cars endure, day in day out. Stand on the brakes into a corner, mash the pedal coming out, rinse/repeat, for hours on end, all day, every day. They change the tires/brakes constantly; that's pretty much it.

You can drive the snot out of a bimmer and it keeps asking for more. I came away very impressed; I used to feel bad after driving my car hard / tucking it into the garage to recover. I can tell you, very few of us ever come anywhere near the limits of what these cars are capable of (Porsche included).
Old 08-05-2023, 02:08 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsched
I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

I know the 992 and M3 are very different cars. Nevertheless, I'm trying to decide which one of these to go with. I could definitely use the 4 doors and real backseat for the family, but I can manage with the 992. Price is a big deal for me and I'm looking at a significant difference in purchase price: $80K for the M3 and about $120K for the 992. I know 911's don't depreciate as much as M3's, but is the depreciation difference so significant? Anything else I should consider in terms of overall total cost of ownership?

Appreciate any thoughts. I figure many here have had experience with both cars in the past and can provide insight. (And I realize I'm asking this in a 992 forum.
if you need 4 seats why are you considering the 911? while some 911 models may come with a back seat they are not all that useful unless your kids are very very young. i use mine for my our dogs ...

again, if you need a usable back seat the 911 is not the car to get, not even consider. I have daily driven a 911 (various generations) for about two years and the back seat is a formality.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I'm no BMW apologist, and nothing they are making now appeals to me, but this is just not true.

I drove multiple M3/M4/M5 (F80/F10 gen) *flat* out at the M performance driving school. It is incredible what these cars endure, day in day out. Stand on the brakes into a corner, mash the pedal coming out, rinse/repeat, for hours on end, all day, every day. They change the tires/brakes constantly; that's pretty much it.

You can drive the snot out of a bimmer and it keeps asking for more. I came away very impressed; I used to feel bad after driving my car hard / tucking it into the garage to recover. I can tell you, very few of us ever come anywhere near the limits of what these cars are capable of (Porsche included).
BMW may have upped their game since the E46 gen. The earlier ones if tracked more than casually needed:
1)rear shock mount reinforcement plates due to cracking
2)new stiffer guibo and transmission mounts to prevent money shift
3)front strut tower brace to also reinforce mounts and prevent cracking
4)upgrade brakes to 993tt rotors and calipers
5)Vanos solenoid upgrade
6)replacement of water pump and radiator with metal impeller and end tanks to avoid catastrophic material failure

that's what I remember off hand
Old 08-05-2023, 06:06 PM
shepard
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd agree with most others. M3 sounds like the perfect blend of function and fun. Personally, I love the RS6 but can't get that in a manual. That said, can't go wrong with a 992 for some spirited driving

Quick Reply: 992 base or BMW M3