Sponsored by:

Just offered a Targa4GTS Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 11:51 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Default Just offered a Targa4GTS Allocation

Do I want it? A new 2024 available next Spring? Tempting, they are pretty rate, VERY hard to get. My Sales Rep called me first as I have bought three new Porsche from him.

I ask about conditions over MSRP.

* I have to take Euro Delivery of it (adds $ 1,500)
* I have to trade in my '21 Cab S to them. Who knows what number that would be? No trade in, no new Targa.
* I have to pay the dealer add-ons. What are those useless things I don't need?

Well, they add up to about $ 40k it turns out. WHAT? How can you put $ 40,000 worth of useless bull**** on a car? Well, you can....

* Full PPF (don't want)
* Ceramic Coating (why do I need this if Full PPF?)
* Wheel and Tire Protection Package
* Scheduled Maintenance
* Extended Warranty
* LoJack

And doG knows what else.

I laugh and say "You have confused me with one of your Washington Capitals 25-year-old Hockey Stars that just got signed".

So he says "yeah, we have become like Ferrari now - let me talk to the GM and see if I can get that bull**** stuff cut back"

There is is new Sales Tax on a $ 200K can ($ 8,600), plus other dealer garbage fees that rack that up to $ 10,000, and the PP Tax Clock starts all over again, which is Fairfax County VA is 4.7% of the value of the car EVERY YEAR.

Probably would cost me $ 100K over what I have now when all is said and done. And my '21 Cab S only has 7,700 miles on it, why go through all that for a Targa?
The following users liked this post:
Swayze (08-06-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 12:13 PM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

What an outrageous ask by the dealership. I don't quite think porsche is at ferrari level yet however. Maybe in major market like DC with athletes, big money, etc. Glad I have an order locking in November with no shenanigans.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:15 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Do I want it? A new 2024 available next Spring? Tempting, they are pretty rate, VERY hard to get. My Sales Rep called me first as I have bought three new Porsche from him.

* I have to trade in my '21 Cab S to them. Who knows what number that would be? No trade in, no new Targa.

Well, they add up to about $ 40k it turns out. WHAT? How can you put $ 40,000 worth of useless bull**** on a car? Well, you can....

* Full PPF (don't want)
* Scheduled Maintenance
* Extended Warranty
* LoJack

And doG knows what else.

I laugh and say "You have confused me with one of your Washington Capitals 25-year-old Hockey Stars that just got signed".

So he says "yeah, we have become like Ferrari now - let me talk to the GM and see if I can get that bull**** stuff cut back"

There is is new Sales Tax on a $ 200K can ($ 8,600), plus other dealer garbage fees that rack that up to $ 10,000, and the PP Tax Clock starts all over again, which is Fairfax County VA is 4.7% of the value of the car EVERY YEAR.

Probably would cost me $ 100K over what I have now when all is said and done. And my '21 Cab S only has 7,700 miles on it, why go through all that for a Targa?
Wow! That is some over the top stuff!
Which dealership was it! ?
Old 08-05-2023, 12:17 PM
JoeyBagadonuts
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 20 Posts

No good reason I can think of to take any 992.1 right now when the .2 is just months away. unless for some reason you're getting a ridiculously good deal, which is not the case here. HARD PASS.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:19 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Man that’s worse imo then the dealer just asking for a straight up adm. All those demands are as if you are a punching bag that they just keep on hitting. Pretty insulting actually.

I would just offer a fair adm (also they better pay handsome for your trade) and call it a day.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

No way!!!

Enjoy your 2021 S Cab for the next few years.

drcollie (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 12:36 PM
antsy
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Do I want it? A new 2024 available next Spring? Tempting, they are pretty rate, VERY hard to get.
This is as close as your post gets to saying, cost aside, "this is a car I truly desire." Maybe you really do desire this car and it wil make you very happy, but I don't see that in what you wrote. To me, that is your answer. Pass on this one.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:53 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

* Full PPF (don't want)
Ceramic and PPF do different things.
You can have one, the other, both, or neither.
Icegrill (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:07 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Actually not too far away from this by the time I got done getting reamed by the Porsche dealer on the Targa. <g>

https://www.justred.com/buy/f12-berl...74ufaxe0201696
Old 08-05-2023, 03:34 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 126 Posts

Its all over the top, but at the end of the day, how can someone say no to a Targa allocation?

Old 08-05-2023, 03:55 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

* Full PPF (don't want)
* Scheduled Maintenance
* Extended Warranty
* LoJack

And doG knows what else.

Wow...you somehow landed high up on a list of suckers at that dealership. If you are an existing customer, I would find somewhere else to take my business just for the stupidity of that offer.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:16 PM
drcollie
Race Car

My '21 Cab S in its current high option build is $ 177K as a new car, I re-built it out on the Configurator recently. With 7,700 miles on it, I could sell it privately or on BAT for around $ 150K.

I assume they would put a trade in price of $ 130K at the dealership (required to get the Targa) and they would probably then sell if CPO for $ 160K in less than a week's time as there are not many cabs like this in circulation (manual trans).

I'd lose $ 20K there before paying those ridiculous "required" add-ons, and my guess is they would want my car immediately. Then I have to fly to Europe (and pay $ 1,500 for that privilege) to take delivery. because for every Euro Delivery they book, the dealership gets a high line allocation like a GT3. It's part of Porsche Marketing, get customers to the factory and they take lots of photos and post on social media what a great time they had, blah...blah...blah.

I like the Targas, but I don't throw money around recklessly, either. It would not be a .2 as those are probably not going to be out for some time after the initial .2 rollout (and they are strongly rumored to be be mild hybrids). What's the gain? A few more HP, a stiffer ride and some desirability. But its marginal... If they said "We have a Targa Allocation for you at MSRP", I probably pull the trigger on it. But these schemes to get more out of the customers pocket are bordering on the ridiculous and I don't need to play that game..

Old 08-05-2023, 04:39 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Manual cab like that- I'd keep what I have for sure.
Boucherom (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 05:29 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts

Keep your cabriolet. It sounds like you are sitting on a win just letting the Targa "deal" go to someone else.

The Porsche driving experience doesn't increase just because it is a Targa.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:39 PM
vintage38
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 218 Posts

I would definitely keep the Cabriolet. But I'm more partial to a Cab over a Targa as I'm currently waiting for a Cabriolet allocation. Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Quick Reply: Just offered a Targa4GTS Allocation