Sponsored by:

In defense of the shaver

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:24 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
The 991 was dated the day it was released, as they essentially carried over turn-of-the-century 997 design & tech. Porsche decided to get with the times with the 992. Thankfully, we finally have an interior that matches the six-figure price figure we pay for it.
If you really have your heart set on being a fashion *****, there are better automotive brands for that. Porsche is a company that (until recently) actively bragged about the fact that they didn't change the door handles from one model generation to the next, because the old ones worked fine. (Which they did.)

Some of us buy their cars because of that ethos, not in spite of it.
The following users liked this post:
timjab (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:39 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Exactly why I still buy a 911 today. None of the ethos has been lost in the 992 just because it has digital dials. It’s a reality check for the 991 owners. Porsche has improved the 911 in every single way on the 992. Just like the 997 matched the times it was in; the 992 matches the times while still harkening back that same ethos we all know & love from Porsche. If everyone was buying a 911 to have it look outdated on purpose, we’d just buy a classic air cooled 911.

FWIW my PCM is never on. This car is all about the driving experience.

Last edited by smiles11; 07-24-2021 at 03:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by smiles11:
detansinn (07-24-2021), sanford (07-24-2021), timjab (07-24-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

^fugly. No deep blacks and massive voids in the gauge cluster. No passion, no creativity. Simpleton.

The 911's foundation is evolution, not revolution. There's no such thing as "outdated". Analog>screens. Tactile buttons with great feedback>glitchy grease trap buttons. Gear selector milled out of a solid piece of aluminum>cracking cheap black plastic. Do 992 drivers change gear with their pinky finger sticking up in the air? The 992 is far and away a step back from the classic, streamlined 991 interior. They royally f'd up the gauge cluster and the obese tach. Sofa recliner seats, no thanks... I don't know, some like sleek tone sexy women and some like the modern cellulite a$$. Phat, not fat. Even the chimes in the 992 are annoying. The drive mode on the new wheel sucks too.

Try to compare photos with similar lighting, not a brand new interior vs one on from "Bavarian Auto Haus" that was neglected and picked up off the auction. Properly done 991 interiors blow any 992 interior out of the water. Configuring a 992 interior is.... Bleek.

The vast majority of people who quickly went from 991.2 to 992 are the same people who get the newest iPhone, Samsung TV, and so on every year a new model comes out. Outdated shmoutdated, newer is not always better. The new interior lacks taste and screams entry level VW/Audi with a sprinkle of Porsche. The pervious gen was the other way around.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
^fugly. No deep blacks and massive voids in the gauge cluster. No passion, no creativity. Simpleton.

The 911's foundation is evolution, not revolution. There's no such thing as "outdated". Analog>screens. Tactile buttons with great feedback>glitchy grease trap buttons. Gear selector milled out of a solid piece of aluminum>cracking cheap black plastic. Do 992 drivers change gear with their pinky finger sticking up in the air? The 992 is far and away a step back from the classic, streamlined 991 interior. They royally f'd up the gauge cluster and the obese tach. Sofa recliner seats, no thanks... I don't know, some like sleek tone sexy women and some like the modern cellulite a$$. Phat, not fat. Even the chimes in the 992 are annoying. The drive mode on the new wheel sucks too.

Try to compare photos with similar lighting, not a brand new interior vs one on from "Bavarian Auto Haus" that was neglected and picked up off the auction. Properly done 991 interiors blow any 992 interior out of the water. Configuring a 992 interior is.... Bleek.

The vast majority of people who quickly went from 991.2 to 992 are the same people who get the newest iPhone, Samsung TV, and so on every year a new model comes out. Outdated shmoutdated, newer is not always better. The new interior lacks taste and screams entry level VW/Audi with a sprinkle of Porsche. The pervious gen was the other way around.

Ok.

Feel free to never buy another new Porsche again.

Enjoy life.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
992Sam (07-26-2021), timjab (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

You are very passionate about interiors.

People buy the newest iPhone because it’s the better performing phone. So yeah. Same thing.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:19 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I’ll respectfully agree to disagree & let my illustration speak for itself.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:31 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Fully agree with 911Dude41. And I don't buy the latest iPhone because it "performs better" nor am I lost technically at 71 where I can't navigate the PCM when I shouldn't have to as in not waiting 90 seconds for it to boot so I can finally use the HomeLink.

What I do object under the guise of "improvement" is what I've mentioned, so yes I'll agree to disagree and take the 991 interior to my 992 if I had a choice (especially the analog gauges and the ability to permanently disable the ***) and my 356SC or 911T gauge cluster where I could see all gauges through the steering wheel as I don't want to "move my head 3 degrees" (really 3 degrees or is it 5 or ?). My driving position is what it is for me and slicing my neck off because I can't adjust the seat belt as I'm not 6'2 or 5'2 is lame.

And yep, I probably won't be buying another Porsche simply because at 71 I still dream of a 71 Cuda to truly modify. But this burying everything into the PCM or turning the back into a Lincoln MKX... just doesn't cut it for me. Sorry if that hurts those who believe everything out of Stuttgart is a blessing from the Almighty.

siberian

Quick Reply: In defense of the shaver