Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB or not to be

Old 06-29-2021, 07:06 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sionblue_992
I opted for PCCB on my C2S and I definitely don't regret! The bite is incredible, even with low speed ranges such as coming up to a red light. The pedal feel is excellent, much more reliable feedback than coming from standard brakes. Expensive option but in terms of performance and up front cost savings (as opposed to an aftermarket conversion) it's one of the best options you could add. Clearly a personal choice, but I would rather spend the money on improving performance than on Burmeister or fancy leather bits.
It's definitely worth it for someone who can easily afford all of the worries with it. It does feel a lot "sharper" and improved. Problem is the monetary risk is big if **** goes wrong.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
It's definitely worth it for someone who can easily afford all of the worries with it. It does feel a lot "sharper" and improved. Problem is the monetary risk is big if **** goes wrong.
Fair statement.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:21 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

https://racingbrake.com/POR.991.crk.380-380

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-30-2021 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:34 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SBAD
All this talk about the superiority of PCCB performance. Outside of tracking and less brake fade in that setting, I don’t get it. In fact, stopping distances are no less and actually the opposite based on Car and Driver reviews of various 992s. As to brake feel, that is subjective - an issue for some, not for others.
According to our dyno tests the result is opposite, CCM rotor has a higher and more stable (consistent) COF (Coefficient of Friction) than Iron rotor. Dyno test is more accurate and reliable than road tests which can be affected by the road condition and drivers' stopping behavior.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacingBrake:
S S (07-02-2021), smiles11 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 05:30 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
If you drive it a lot getting a stone stuck on the PCCB's will cost you massive massive money. Not worth the headache if you have a budget.
It's true for rotor made of Chopped carbon fiber (mixed with resin)

But not for those made with continuous (long) woven carbon fiber.

CCM Rotor with carbon fabric texture (Surface is actually very smooth.)

Those chipped and crack pics on Brembo rotors are solely for illustrating the strength from different rotor material and mfg process.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 07-19-2021 at 05:30 PM.
smiles11 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 05:38 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
It's true for rotor made of Chopped carbon fiber (mixed with resin)

But not for those made with Woven carbon fiber.

CCM Rotor with carbon fabric texture (Surface is actually very smooth.)
Awesome illustration. I had a friend who cracked his ceramic rotor on an 08 F430. They had that chopped carbon look.

Definitely not worried about modern CCB’s all things considered.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:38 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

True. CCM rotor is a product with only about 20 years history but quickly evolved from Brembo's pccb introduction for 996/997 (Gen1) to today's (Gen4) compared to cast iron invented in China about some 1,500 years ago.
We maintain a self-funded R&D facility on brake in Fullerton, CA not only to enhance US brake technology but offered various products to improve OE brakes for motorsports enthusiasts

We hold 3 patents issued by USPTO in brake design, and in our library we have collected and digitized in our database.
  • OE Calipers - 241 ea
  • OE Spindles - 262 ea
We started our CCM brake business some 8 years ago, going from Brembo (G2/GM ZR1) to Surface Transforms (G3) to our own design/process (G4) today.

Our goal is to prove to Porsche track enthusiasts that the latest CCM rotor not only is far better in performance for tracking/racing applications but they also can last much longer than conventional iron rotor. This is by no means a "marketing claim", it has been proven on other tracking communities, It's only a matter for you to try to believe - Just like before you tried our high temperature (Blue) dust boots, you couldn't believe there was such a boot ever existed, which has helped thousands of track enthusiasts to protect their calipers. Nowadays you no longer hear some experts' advice like "forget about replacing those boots. they will get toasted in just a few track days"

Last edited by RacingBrake; 07-01-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
For me, it's the feel. With PCCBs you can meter out incredible and immediate power, very precisely. The brakes allow this without being grabby or having a wooden feel or no modulation. The net result is that you can brake later in corners and there is no fade. It changes the way the car drives, as a whole. It elevates the entire package - the car feels like a higher performance machine.

Subjective? Sure. But so is a lot of what we like about these cars. PCCB vs Iron may or may not be faster on a track. I haven't done an A-B comparison and doubt that I'm good enough to exploit the advantages of PCCBs to prove the difference. On a street driven car, though, I'm not as concerned about lap times.

Porsche probably has some of the best EPS on the market, in terms of feel. Doesn't mean it necessarily makes the car faster. But it does make the car more enjoyable to drive. For me, it's the same deal with the brakes. Worth the money? When you add in the looks and the fact that you never have to clean them - it's a no brainer for me. YMMV.
One downside though - and I'd be curious about your take on this as a fellow 993 owner - is that if you drive multiple cars, especially if some are older cars with steel brakes, you have to readjust the level of brake pressure needed for a normal, smooth stop as you hop from car to car. I have thrown my wife forward a bit aggressively into her seatbelt on first application of the PCCBs in my 992 after driving one of the other cars around and getting acclimated to their higher effort pedal. The PCCBs have serious initial bite!
Old 07-02-2021, 11:10 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
One downside though - and I'd be curious about your take on this as a fellow 993 owner - is that if you drive multiple cars, especially if some are older cars with steel brakes, you have to readjust the level of brake pressure needed for a normal, smooth stop as you hop from car to car. I have thrown my wife forward a bit aggressively into her seatbelt on first application of the PCCBs in my 992 after driving one of the other cars around and getting acclimated to their higher effort pedal. The PCCBs have serious initial bite!
Haha. My wife tends to avoid riding with me the in the 993. She loves looking at it but hates riding in it. 🤔

993 definitely requires much more initial force compares to the pccbs. The big reds on the 993c4s were some of the best on the market and the pccbs make them feel really dated.
RacingBrake (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

993 was the last model before pccb started being introduced for 996 in the late 90, so no pccb for 993.
To make that up we offer two complete ccb system upgrade kits for 993:

394/390mm (Using ZR1 size rotors) - Fits most 19" wheels
Ready to ship.

350/350mm (Using 996/997 pccb rotors) - Fits most 18" wheels
Production pending to pre-orders

Both kits are designed to the standard stock rotor sizes (for interchangeability), and built with the latest G4 CCM materials - A modern brake kit leaping for three decades, and surpassing even the newest 992 pccb.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:23 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

I had a 991.2 base Carrera with PCCBs. They were sublime. I'm guessing they would be, too, on the 992. I am ordering a 992S in part because I cannot get PCCBs on a 992 Base with MT...or on a 992T, for that matter.

PS: Porsche offers us so much choice, except some really basic ones, like a 992 base with MT or a 992T with PCCBs.

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 01-13-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:01 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
I had a 991.2 base Carrera with PCCBs. They were sublime. I'm guessing they would be, too, on the 992. I am ordering a 992S in part because I cannot get PCCBs on a 992 Base with MT...or on a 992T, for that matter.

PS: Porsche offers us so much choice, except some really basic ones, like a 992 base with MT or a 992T with PCCBs.

God bless you,
TT
I have PCCB on my 991.2 GT3T and my 992 C2S and they are both very effective but the 992 brakes are more aggressively servo'ed - they bite quite suddenly compared to the 991.2 that requires more initial pedal pressure. Interesting to see such a noticeable difference in feel/calibration because I think the components are same or very similar.

Last edited by RudyP; 01-14-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:07 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian

God bless you,
TT
Surface Transforms should have 992 (non GT) fitments available soon. Not cheap, but an excellent solution for those that want carbon discs and can't get them from Porsche.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 01-15-2023, 10:50 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

@Hinz Motorsport , thanks!

Good bless you,
TT