992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illuminated Lateral Gills on Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021 | 04:27 PM
ahigherlevel
8th Gear

Thumbs up Assuming this option is the same in the higher models...

... I believe this is what they mean by "Illuminated Lateral Gills" (the 4 small gills on the furthest right).

I have personally scoured the internet videos/photos of this feature in action but since it's an option for lower models and standard in some higher models, I believe this is the function of this option. Why this doesn't illuminate in the standard setup, I do not know.
But I've only ever seen them light up in detail on video in this youtube clip here at the time seen below and shortly after.

To be clear, the car in the clip is a turbo S but it does have the same clear lights as seen in the porsche online configurator, but I couldn't find exact information about the specifics if they differ between models. To my eye in all the videos/photos I've seen, the arc illuminates red similarly whether it's the standard or clear light bar (excluding early 2019 models, some US & Euro spec base models that show large to small gaps), with the blinkers(aka turn signals) also solid red when braking and flashing red when turning (orange in Europe when turning), and the 2 dash brake lights in red between them. Obviously the reverse lights in a single white dash centered to the middle of the car (also illuminated in the screenshot). Not shown below is the vertical (often referred to as the third) brake light in the inlay grill below the glass because it is obviously replaced in the turbo model with the light in the fixed spoiler. In all models with the retractable spoiler (not on top of the fixed spoiler found in turbo models, etc.), it seems the brake light cover isn't clear. I'm not quite sure why it isn't talked about more commonly either but I'm guessing because it's out of sight hence it's out of mind. When sold separately though, the Exclusive Light Design option only comes in 4 external pieces without a 5th under-retractable-spoiler light (or cover for the light). There's also a small detail highlighted in the description hinting to my conclusion regarding the illuminated lateral gills (or side vents as they describe it).

Hope this helps curious souls like me

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...-set-992044911

This is a GTS btw and this photo shows the exclusive design lights, the arc illuminated WITHOUT braking and with the underside retractable spoiler raised exposing a red brake light cover NOT illuminated and most certainly not clear when off.
The following 5 users liked this post by ahigherlevel:
Efferalgan (01-24-2022), Fcassells (11-16-2021), fractionofawhole (07-13-2021), hinckley (07-12-2021), slwong23 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-13-2021 | 12:41 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Thank you, looks nice with the additional lighting.
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:24 AM
ahigherlevel
8th Gear

Post Additional Side by Side Comparison with video link (not illuminated)

After diving deeper into this wormhole of youtube videos, I came across a lovely individual named Alexander de Pooter who is actually a Porsche Certified Brand Ambassador and works at Porsche Dealership in Flordia. More importantly, his video showcased 2 992 Carreras side by side with different taillights, the Standard and the Exclusive Design Taillights (clear). Thanks to this video he made which i will link below in case you wanted to see it in action, we are able to see in daylight (against some reflections unfortunately) the close up difference we are obviously searching for in this forum thread within the first minute of the video.

In this side by side comparison and separate close ups, you can make out how the "Lateral Gills" in the clear design lights are slightly thicker and more pronounced due to the lights they contain that illuminate (not illuminated in this video tho bc he is comparing the paint in daylight and not the taillights at night.) It's hard to spot at first but thankfully, we can see the differences in a daytime comparison.

I will still keep a lookout for an illuminated comparison or anything else in depth but I hope this helps for now

The following 3 users liked this post by ahigherlevel:
hinckley (07-13-2021), NCheok (07-14-2021), SAlexander (08-30-2022)
Old 07-13-2021 | 02:39 PM
Ekkster
3rd Gear

Not sure about the difference, but a must on a red.

Old 07-14-2021 | 11:31 AM
ahigherlevel
8th Gear

Talking Official option for GTS on the configurator (not illuminated in photo)

After curiousity got the better of me once more, I decided to build a GTS cab instead of a 2S cab and found this option under Lighting. It seems that even if the clear "Exclusive Design Lights" come standard on the GTS, it is still an option to have the Lateral Gills illuminated. So that means that checking "Exclusive Design Lights" option for the 2S would give you more than what comes stock on the GTS. Makes sense since that option in the 2S costs $990 (that includes clear arc, 2 clear taillights w illuminated gills, and a clear vertical 3rd brake light), where as this option in the GTS costs $170 (and only replaces the the 2 standard taillights that are already clear with plastic gills for 2 clear taillights w illuminated gills).

Even if they are not showing an illuminated example of this option, the description is clear. I hope this gives everyone peace of mind as it did for me (at least 90% peace anyway lol)

Old 07-15-2021 | 10:45 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I have the exclusive taillights and don’t think my gills illuminate.
The following users liked this post:
81romeo (08-29-2022)
Old 07-18-2021 | 03:27 PM
ahigherlevel
8th Gear

Thumbs up Photos/Videos are welcome here :)

Originally Posted by c1pher
I have the exclusive taillights and don’t think my gills illuminate.
I guess you won't really know until you test them out, right?
Feel free to capture the gills in action when illuminated either via photos or videos, I'm sure that we would all appreciate a definitive close up demonstration so we could put this inquiry behind us 100%.
Pretty sure it will be a 2 person job. So thanks to both of you in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Siso78 (10-29-2023)
Old 07-18-2021 | 03:51 PM
ahigherlevel
8th Gear

Lightbulb I'm guessing it didn't light up because it was in Park?

Originally Posted by Ekkster
Not sure about the difference, but a must on a red.

So, I'm assuming that since this shot was taken in park, the gills didn't illuminate. I'm not sure if you have the PDK or the Manual (or even if that makes a difference), but in the first youtube video i posted in this thread above showing Adam LZ and his Turbo S reversing out of his garage, you can clearly see it illuminated.

This screengrab was right before he launched her so I'm certain he wasn't in park where you can also see how it was illuminated.

Unfortunately, this is only proof for the Turbo S and not any of the lower models.
So if you wanna try braking again while in gear, you could answer 2 questions simultaneously.
Thanks in advance to you and your helper.

Old 07-18-2021 | 05:15 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

My 2021 Targa 4S with the exclusive taillights. First time I’ve seen them lit up.
The following 9 users liked this post by c1pher:
ahigherlevel (07-18-2021), APEX GT3 (08-23-2022), dhirm5 (11-16-2021), jhenson29 (07-18-2021), M3Inline6 (03-18-2022), RolandT (07-19-2021), SAlexander (08-30-2022), Siso78 (10-29-2023), TheGreatJ (08-17-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-02-2021 | 11:15 PM
911andDone
Advanced

This is why when you buy the exclusive kit after the fact, that it comes with replacement tail lights. Most people couldn't figure out why, but this is probably it.
Old 08-03-2021 | 09:21 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

My 2021 Targa 4S with the exclusive taillights. First time I’ve seen them lit up.
I guess they're cool...kind of giving me fish gill vibes
Old 08-03-2021 | 10:24 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3uros
I guess they're cool...kind of giving me fish gill vibes
As long as they don’t give me crabs, it’s fine.
The following 4 users liked this post by c1pher:
evanbahr (12-25-2023), icanthelpit (11-16-2021), null (04-08-2022), Still Learning (04-11-2022)
Old 08-04-2021 | 11:19 PM
Kurac
Racer

I’d put these in the same category as the leather covered fuse box....
But would probably choose the fuse box over this.
Old 08-05-2021 | 06:13 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurac
I’d put these in the same category as the leather covered fuse box....
But would probably choose the fuse box over this.
I only got the clear taillights to complement the color scheme I was going for. The gill thing wasn’t a even a thought for anyone until Porsche started charging extra for it.
Old 08-17-2021 | 01:18 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

From: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.

I only got the clear taillights to complement the color scheme I was going for. The gill thing wasn’t a even a thought for anyone until Porsche started charging extra for it.
Excellent detective work! Now we know.

Beats me why Porsche hasn't mention this functionality before.. They are so bad with the configurator/product copies occasionally. It would have made a lot of sense for them to describe the illumination of the gills as one of the features of the Exclusive Design Tail Lights kit.. Especially for people who have bought them as an after sales item. I bet this could have even convinced more people to "upgrade" to them or at the least, it would have provided the reasoning on why to switch two perfectly well functioning corner tail lights to lights that appear to be exactly the same. I know for certain that a lot of people have been wondering this.. I guess there might be even some who didn't bother to change their old rear corner lights to the new ones from their Exclusive Design Tail Lights kit because they are "exactly the same". If I recall correctly, even some resellers have given this argument in the past when people have been inquiring about the difference... Ignorance is bliss.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Lateral Gills on Taillights