Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$10,000 Market Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

I was just telling another Rennlister. I was looking for a Targa 4S allocation, talked to both of my local dealer here in Cincinnati. They both told me me at least 1 year wait if not more. Called the dealer (not in my market) that I bought my 992 C4S coupe (manual) from at the beginning of 2020. They told me they could get one for me, as I am a repeat customer and willing to put a deposit down. Had my allocation in less than 14 days, and will have my Targa before end of this year (that was just 2 weeks ago). There is nothing to say you have to deal with anyone local or close... The dealer I bought both from - they also deliver free of charge, so no extra cost to me, they deliver to my home.
The following users liked this post:
michaelp (08-08-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:32 PM
GSound
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, Called LV, Boston, FL, 3 deals in Cali all charging a mark up 10K at least on a 992 base/992S 2022? Is this true, none can be found at MSRP?
Old 08-10-2021, 05:34 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I was just telling another Rennlister. I was looking for a Targa 4S allocation, talked to both of my local dealer here in Cincinnati. They both told me me at least 1 year wait if not more. Called the dealer (not in my market) that I bought my 992 C4S coupe (manual) from at the beginning of 2020. They told me they could get one for me, as I am a repeat customer and willing to put a deposit down. Had my allocation in less than 14 days, and will have my Targa before end of this year (that was just 2 weeks ago). There is nothing to say you have to deal with anyone local or close... The dealer I bought both from - they also deliver free of charge, so no extra cost to me, they deliver to my home.
Did they charge you a markup or did you get it for MSRP?
Old 08-10-2021, 05:40 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GSound
Hello, Called LV, Boston, FL, 3 deals in Cali all charging a mark up 10K at least on a 992 base/992S 2022? Is this true, none can be found at MSRP?
Try Porsche of North Scottsdale a few weeks ago they where charging MSRP.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
Did they charge you a markup or did you get it for MSRP?
MSRP = no markup. 5K deposit
Old 08-10-2021, 07:06 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Porsche makes plenty of cars and soon plenty will be available. Those that feed this careless ADM short term issue on a large production vehicle are only urging themselves when time comes to trade in or sell. That ADM will drop off like a scab.
I love my Porsche and it’s number 14 but it would be my last one if this practice if this continued. They aren’t selling you a better car with extra goodies they are just trying to hijack your cash.
"Soon" might be a year from now, or later.
Herb Chambers just opened a new showroom at their store in Burlington MA. They had no cars to put inside. Herb had to put his personal cars on the floor.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

If I’m negotiating the purchase of a Porsche, I might follow the sentiment of those expressing indignation over mark-up. Otherwise, I find that indignation amusing. Supply is down and demand is up. Do you not buy gas when prices go up? It’s a similar circumstance. We’re not talking about milk or home heating here. The supposed victims are people who can afford Porsches at MSRP. I’d also add I’d never, ever let someone else define my utility. If I had to pay +10K to get my 992 I’d have done so in a heartbeat. In a freaking heartbeat. That’s the value I place on it combined with my personal economics, notwithstanding the likely reality of ensuing depreciation.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:34 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 947 Posts

Here's an interesting hypothesis just for fun. If the current market conditions formed by the current world conditions had predicated a supply issue and the resulting demand curve to go with it in 2014-2015 during the ramp up of the 991.1 models, would the demand curve and resulting effect on MSRP ADM have been as pronounced or is the 992 itself a big part of it, given the rather universal acclaim that the car receives, as compared to the prior generation?
Russian Mafia (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:02 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
If I’m negotiating the purchase of a Porsche, I might follow the sentiment of those expressing indignation over mark-up. Otherwise, I find that indignation amusing. Supply is down and demand is up. Do you not buy gas when prices go up? It’s a similar circumstance. We’re not talking about milk or home heating here. The supposed victims are people who can afford Porsches at MSRP. I’d also add I’d never, ever let someone else define my utility. If I had to pay +10K to get my 992 I’d have done so in a heartbeat. In a freaking heartbeat. That’s the value I place on it combined with my personal economics, notwithstanding the likely reality of ensuing depreciation.
Don't forget the time factor too. Any one of us could drop dead tomorrow or in the next few weeks, months or years. How much of a delay is worth risking never achieving the dream?
Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Don't forget the time factor too. Any one of us could drop dead tomorrow or in the next few weeks, months or years. How much of a delay is worth risking never achieving the dream?
This is so very true. I am 65 have lost all but one of my long term friends in the past 15 years along with my parents. Life is indeed very brief. Takes forever getting to 30 and look out after that.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:20 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Here's an interesting hypothesis just for fun. If the current market conditions formed by the current world conditions had predicated a supply issue and the resulting demand curve to go with it in 2014-2015 during the ramp up of the 991.1 models, would the demand curve and resulting effect on MSRP ADM have been as pronounced or is the 992 itself a big part of it, given the rather universal acclaim that the car receives, as compared to the prior generation?
I’ve found near ‘universal acclaim’ for many automobiles over the years due to the general groupthink among auto journalists, especially for Porsche lineups. What’s different about the 992 is that it’s bringing over the type of enthusiasts that found previous 911s to be too timid, design wise. The sharpened front, the era defining back LEDs, the modern interior and performance leaps, all make for a very formidable and desirable creation from the Stuttgart magicians. Not to mention the ‘tune-ability’ of this generation, even those below the Turbo level, to comfortably reach 10 sec territory without sacrificing linearity and handling!
There is also a growing realization that electrification is around the corner and this is the last generation before hybrid drivetrains and second to last generation before full EV. The 992 will be better holder of value than many realize today.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:39 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
Curious what the latest state of affairs is with these market adjustments. I found an allocation for a 992 S and was told there would be a $10k market adjustment.

Is this par for the course at the moment? Has anyone been able to place an order at MSRP (for a non-GT car)?
I bought a new 992 C4S in June for MSRP. I have previously purchased many VWs, Audis, 2 Porsche Macan Ss, and a 981 GT4 from this dealer.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

For everyone expressing indignation over ADM, just remember when things return to "normal" will you have the same indignation towards yourself when you leverage the (over)supply to your advantage and negotiate a (gasp!) discount on your next 911?
Russian Mafia (08-11-2021)

Quick Reply: $10,000 Market Adjustment