Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$10,000 Market Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 07:51 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Rolled over to the local Audi dealership to inquire about an RS6 Avant they’ve had hanging out on the lot for a bit. Little did I know they had an ADM on it for $50k over sticker. Gross.

In regards to the ADMs for GT cars, that will always be a thing and it has been for probably two decades simply because they don’t make enough.

On run of the mill Carreras, paying any ADM seems insane to me; these aren’t some rare, production cars or anything. What’s happening here is that dealers are playing into the shortage of materials for their own game and burning loyal customers or new customers to the brand straight away.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:46 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Remember in 2017 when everyone including the clerk at Walgreens was talking about buying Bitcoin?

We’re now at that point where everyone is talking about how they sold their 2 year old work truck for $6k over MSRP of when they bought it.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:13 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

These are 911’s we are talking about, great cars and I love them but far from rare or ultimately exclusive. I have no desire to own another car other than mine right now and if I was looking at another car it would most likely be another TT or TTS. But to pay $20, $30 or $50k over sticker is not happening.
At some point not very far in the future things will change and your ADM becomes a bad dream. Not happening here. I’ll wait or not purchase a car with ADM.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 06:33 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You may not like it, but its not exclusive to Porsche. It's market wide. C8 Corvette for example:

"GM Authority found a 2021 Corvette C8 Stingray Convertible with the 1LT trim package up for sale for $115,910 from Dimmitt Chevrolet in Clearwater, Florida, despite having an MSRP of $80,910. There are some markups that are even higher than this. For example, Miami Lakes AutoMall in Florida has a 2021 Corvette Stingray Coupe 2LT listed for $40,546 over its MSRP, bringing its price tag up to $125,896."
Yes been seeing that and it to is nuts if you ask me. Don't get me wrong the new C8 Corvette is a great car and did give even me pause as a long term 911 owner as to whether I wanted to sink $130k into a new 992 Carrera S when at the time pre-COVID19 I probably could have wrangled a C8 for MSRP with a bit of a search but little trouble. Now they're in the stratosphere and wait list is longer than to get a new 992 in some parts of the country. Bannanas!
Originally Posted by seanhaus
Rolled over to the local Audi dealership to inquire about an RS6 Avant they’ve had hanging out on the lot for a bit. Little did I know they had an ADM on it for $50k over sticker. Gross.

In regards to the ADMs for GT cars, that will always be a thing and it has been for probably two decades simply because they don’t make enough.

On run of the mill Carreras, paying any ADM seems insane to me; these aren’t some rare, production cars or anything. What’s happening here is that dealers are playing into the shortage of materials for their own game and burning loyal customers or new customers to the brand straight away.
Yes short term gains $$ wise but at what expense? Agree some customers will walk away from not only the deal but the brand also!
Originally Posted by Penn4S
These are 911’s we are talking about, great cars and I love them but far from rare or ultimately exclusive. I have no desire to own another car other than mine right now and if I was looking at another car it would most likely be another TT or TTS. But to pay $20, $30 or $50k over sticker is not happening.
At some point not very far in the future things will change and your ADM becomes a bad dream. Not happening here. I’ll wait or not purchase a car with ADM.
What you say here...if I was in the market and did NOT have to buy then on way. Right now had to look for a car for my daughter in college when here Audi TT started giving up the ghost so to speak and its amazing how quickly some used models are selling and at little discounts. Found a car with good history, low miles and that thing was gone within 48hrs after finding it on CarGurus locally. Had to eventually expand my search and now getting a vehicle shipped that I found at my old BMW dealer which is out of state....jumped on that one as it had an inquiry the same afternoon I had called about it. Deal done in 48hrs and wire xfer and Fed Ex docs...now waiting on final docs to notarize and sign then shipping! Its a strange world now a a days!
Old 07-11-2021, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Can see why he'd want it but $30k above MSRP is obscene. Sounds like if he was real and honest some buyers are just insane and have lost their minds and I guess are willing pay stupid money for a combo of poor planning and being subject to circumstance and timing caused a great deal by COVID19 impacts globally. SMDH.
Just understand, the people that you say are paying "stupid money" for cars (either a 911 or some other marque) are the same people who are more than likely "ape investors" on WallStreetBets.com, early DOGE investors, or better yet early AMC and GME investors.

So, in other words, easy come, easy go.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just understand, the people that you say are paying "stupid money" for cars (either a 911 or some other marque) are the same people who are more than likely "ape investors" on WallStreetBets.com, early DOGE investors, or better yet early AMC and GME investors.
So, in other words, easy come, easy go.
Yes, this is true. We all tend to see things through our own eyes, but the reality is a lot of people have fun money, and they can get what they want when they want it. If you are in your 30's an 40's with kids and a mortgage, and extra $ 30K seems obscene and you refuse to pay it and will wait it out. But if you are in your 60's, a cancer survivor and inherited $ 2 mil from your parents estate, then paying an extra $ 30K to have the car you want is peanuts, and you can't afford to wait because your clock is ticking. it's all relative to your position in life.

And that old supply and demand thing is very much in play.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
Booth9999 (07-25-2021), Master Deep (07-11-2021), SBAD (07-24-2021), Tedster (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:29 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Yes, this is true. We all tend to see things through our own eyes, but the reality is a lot of people have fun money, and they can get what they want when they want it. If you are in your 30's an 40's with kids and a mortgage, and extra $ 30K seems obscene and you refuse to pay it and will wait it out. But if you are in your 60's, a cancer survivor and inherited $ 2 mil from your parents estate, then paying an extra $ 30K to have the car you want is peanuts, and you can't afford to wait because your clock is ticking. it's all relative to your position in life.

I agree with that, it's all relative to your net worth. If you had $50 million, spending $100k over to have a car now doesn't seem out of line. But if you only had $1mil, it's out of line.

The funny thing is that I bet the $50 mil buyer still checks their receipt to make sure they weren't charged for two rotisserie chickens during a grocery pickup.
Master Deep (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Indeed it is all relative.

Consider that some people paid 250k for a ride into space on the VSS Unity. So 30k more for a car seems almost like a rounding error.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (07-11-2021), Master Deep (07-11-2021), Seacil (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Curious what the latest state of affairs is with these market adjustments. I found an allocation for a 992 S and was told there would be a $10k market adjustment.

Is this par for the course at the moment? Has anyone been able to place an order at MSRP (for a non-GT car)?

Last edited by michaelp; 07-24-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:08 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
Curious what the latest state of affairs is with these market adjustments. I found an allocation for a 992 S and was told there would be a $10k market adjustment.

Is this par for the course at the moment? Has anyone been able to place an order at MSRP (for a non-GT car)?
Just picked up my C2S from my dealer (paid MSRP when ordered in April) on Monday and my SA told me the base Carrera now has an ADM of $10K and the S has an ADM of $20K. Dealer is in the metro NJ/NY/CT area. I don’t have a problem with that. Free Markets, low supply and higher than usual demand. I don’t think it’s changing soon either. It is what it is...
michaelp (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes, there are allocations to be had at MSRP. Just got mine for a C2S Cab, November production, January delivery. I went with a local dealer though that I will also service the car with.
michaelp (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:53 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Market dependent and also dependent on your relationship with your dealer and your purchase history. For every loud story of massive ADMs, there are many who silently purchase these cars at sticker and very likely some with discount (though the latter is harder than ever to get).

Last edited by rk-d; 07-25-2021 at 08:57 AM.
michaelp (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:20 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Market dependent and also dependent on your relationship with your dealer and your purchase history. For every loud story of massive ADMs, there are many who silently purchase these cars at sticker and very likely some with discount (though the latter is harder than ever to get).
I tend to believe that this is actually the reality of what is going on right now. Asking prices are in most cases not selling prices.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

I found a 992 Turbo S with no market adjustment and $1000 deposit. Will probably be 8-10 months.
Booth9999 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:34 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 109 Posts

Agree, there’s lots of variability based on time of order, dealership, relationship, luck, etc. When I was searching for a ‘21 allocation last Spring, only one Bay Area dealer had anything to offer me, the rest said 8-10 month wait. I had no prior relationship with this dealer and was able to manage $2,500 off MSRP ($147K C4S Coupe). Same dealer now getting $10K over ADMs on similar cars. Funny to think I was considering asking my SA to let me trade for ‘22 allocation since I was concerned about taking delivery of a ‘21 at the cusp of the 22s coming out. Glad I didn’t; saved me a lot of $$.

Quick Reply: $10,000 Market Adjustment