Sponsored by:

Akrapovik With Soul cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 10:13 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
The cold start is only one minute. Makes it feel like a NA engine. Trust me and keep the combo. Best exhaust ever.
True. But that one minute is over the top
loud. I think your hearing has been damaged. Lol. It does sound great! But It’s like open header v8 cold start loud. It’s just too much for me.

if cold star was 15 seconds. Fine. But one full minute at 645am every day is not for me.

Originally Posted by Tupper
I haven’t even heard the damn thing and I’m telling you to keep the sport cats.

All of this time, all of the thousands of dollars yearning for a louder exhaust, and now you want to quiet it down? No way, bro

Go loud or go eat cupcakes at the book club
You have a point. But none of us 991.2 guys who bough soul sport cats knew they were not nearly as loud on the 992 as they were in the 991.

If I had knew there weren’t THAT drastic of a change I’d probably have purchased the exhaust first.

im pretty sure the sport cats are coming off and being sold. UNLESS I can get someone to disable cold start.

I daily drive mine and the cold start is too much every day at 6am.

I left the local dinner spot we always go to by my house. When I warm started my car after dinner. The people on the patio dam near jumped out of there seats, spilled there drink! LOL!

Last edited by BIGWORM; 06-05-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:04 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zhiyuan
I am Taking is out today.
From My previous experience i have bunch of downpipe especially the catted one. Even on V12 Ferrari. I Remeber my FF Catless is pretty loud however. it is not as loud as the cold start on 992 and most other turbo cars catted downpipe doesnt make much difference.
i felt the Frequency it is making caused some un pleasant experience for me. This is part of frequency range contain uncomfortable frequency to my ear and it did hurt ear. 992 Couple might have better sound proofing at rear compare to Targa so some people would love it with window up. On Targa i thinking it caused much more vibration on rear of cabin. BTW you can feel Akrapovic only makes more power compare to stock once you take SportCat off.

Sound like people can go bith Sport Cat or Akrapovic if they want Keep Their PSE. Sport Cat is a cost effective. Howevee if combine these two it just too loud.

Wow that was quick. I feel the same way you do. The cold start resonance is ear shattering. Its too much for me. All other aspect of it are perfectly fine with me other than cold start. Bummer we did meet sooner. I would have let you try my sport cats after I removed them. I wish I could come back and get my swapped out today too. But Im on daddy duty today. Well, best of luck to you. It was nice chatting with you at the shop. Hope to see you around.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:41 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I wonder if a less aggressive catback would be better. Looking at the Akra, it seems to not have any muffler section at all. Compared to the Kline for example. I want more sound than my Soul cats offer as well, but not wake the dead loud at cold start. I don’t think you can code out the cold start on these 911’s like they do on the BMW’s. APR said they can’t on the 991.2’s and they seem to have pretty good control over that ECU.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Word for the DIY. Not so easy. Removing without messing with the bumper may be possible if you're brave to mess with the cats and lambda sensors.
I'll have to lift the car and remove the bumper and a bit more. Not worth the effort, but now I don't have an option as some screws were badly seized and broke.
Amazing the beating that part of the car takes. I'm not sure about the longevity of those parts in the long run. Hard driving on the track and snowy winter plays a role, but that's a lot nonetheless.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:40 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zhiyuan
where you located. i am heading to my buddy shop in el monte get that thing out. i live in west hollywood area
OC. Did you get the sport cats removed? How much quieter is the exhaust without the sport cats? Is it a lot quieter? Or just a little?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 458 Posts

My car with just Akrapovic and OEM Cats. Before w/PSE and After. Not bad. Akrapovic adds just the amount of depth and tone I wanted (much like the Akrapovic setup I had on my 991.1) without the outrageous cold start you guys mention.

Pre-Akrapovic Cold Start

Post Akrapovic Cold Start

As said not that much louder than stock but with much better tone was my take on the Akrapovic+stock cats. Happy with my choice!
The following 3 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Benedict14 (06-07-2021), MattBauer (05-08-2023), Tupper (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
My car with just Akrapovic and OEM Cats. Before w/PSE and After. Not bad. Akrapovic adds just the amount of depth and tone I wanted (much like the Akrapovic setup I had on my 991.1) without the outrageous cold start you guys mention.

Post Akrapovic Cold Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHGPNb8ANs

As said not that much louder than stock but with much better tone was my take on the Akrapovic+stock cats. Happy with my choice!
I must admit, I like the sound of the Akra with the OEM Cats. The SOUL Cats seem to accentuate the high pitched turbo wheeze. And perhaps that was one of their goals ? Since some enjoy the sound.

The Akra on the 992 gets close to the NA 991 sound. Even the OEM sport exhaust does a nice job compared to the 991.2 breathy, turbo sound. Porsche really improved the exhaust on the 992, correcting what for me wasn’t a great sounding exhaust tone.
mdrobc1213 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:12 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:
I removed the soul sport cats and cold start with the akrapovic and stock cats is MUCH more tolerable now. Its pretty close to PSE with sport cats level. I hear less turbo whistle. But that’s ok. This exhaust sounds very good with stock cats. So if anyone wants my soul cats, hit me up!

My sale thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1254812

Last edited by BIGWORM; 06-07-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I must admit, I like the sound of the Akra with the OEM Cats. The SOUL Cats seem to accentuate the high pitched turbo wheeze. And perhaps that was one of their goals ? Since some enjoy the sound.
I doubt enhancing turbo noise was a goal of SOUL when developing the sport cats - it's just a side effect of high flow cats.

The SOUL Sport Cats bolt right to the turbos, so with the reduced density of the HJC catalysts, you're losing any muffling effects the stock cats had on the turbo noises. Consider it auditory proof of reduced restriction.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:00 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Oh man. After driving a day with just the Akrapovic with stock cats, I am now tempted to slap the soul cats back and just deal with the cold start! Or just go back to PSE with soul cats. I'm starting to feel like the PSE with soul cats sounded way nicer than just the Akra with stock cats.

Things I have noticed.
1.) PSE valve button made a big difference on the PSE with or without sport cats. The valve button on the Akra doesn't tone things down nearly as much.
2.) PSE with soul was loud enough and had tons of turbo noises. Akra with soul had even more which I loved, but at the cost of extremely loud cold start. Which i am starting to think I should just accept.
3.) PSE with soul sounds better than Akra with stock cats IMO. But i do feel Akra with soul cats was even better. But at the cost of obnoxious cold starts.

I dont know what to do. But its either the soul cats are going back on the Akra and Im just going to deal with the obnoxious cold starts or I am going back to PSE with Soul.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 06-09-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Tupper (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Oh man. After driving a day with just the Akrapovic with stock cats, I am now tempted to slap the soul cats back and just deal with the cold start! Or just go back to PSE with soul cats. I'm starting to feel like the PSE with soul cats sounded way nicer than just the Akra with stock cats.

Things I have noticed.
1.) PSE valve button made a big difference on the PSE with or without sport cats. The valve button on the Akra doesn't tone things down nearly as much.
2.) PSE with soul was loud enough and had tons of turbo noises. Akra with soul had even more which I loved, but at the cost of extremely loud cold start. Which i am starting to think I should just accept.
3.) PSE with soul sounds better than Akra with stock cats IMO. But i do feel Akra with soul cats was even better. But at the cost of obnoxious cold starts.

I dont know what to do. But its either the soul cats are going back on the Akra and Im just going to deal with the obnoxious cold starts or I am going back to PSE with Soul.
^ Ahhh, first world problems. Quite a dilemma here.

You already know what I recommend. You need to maximize the flow of exhaust gases. That is best achieved with the Soul cats and the Akra.

The cold start....well, buy your neighbors a monthly subscription to a beer of the month club
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
BIGWORM (06-09-2021), NigelPlays (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm really thinking of buying and installing the Akra now, for no other reason than to hear this cold start everybody keeps talking about!
Old 06-09-2021, 12:23 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
I'm really thinking of buying and installing the Akra now, for no other reason than to hear this cold start everybody keeps talking about!
Dude Im not kidding. Its LOUD. 0-10 scale IMO.

PSE cold start = 5
PSE w soul cold start = 6
Akra with stock cats cold start = 6.5
Akra with soul cold start= 12!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ So getting down to the core issue here, what is your problem with Akra + stock cats?

Is it not loud enough?
Are you missing the turbo whistles? (I've grown to love them)
Does it just not sound good?
Old 06-09-2021, 12:35 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Is it the start itself or the 1500 rpm idle that causes the noise? The latter is listed and perhaps can be changed with PIWIS, but I'm not sure if the consequences. As far as I know, it's related to being the cats to temps as quickly as possible to save polar bears.

What about some noise insulation at your garage door, start the car with it closed then open and drive away? Remembering of course that whatever that sits in line of the muffler gases needs to be fireproof (no lining with styrofoam).

Quick Reply: Akrapovik With Soul cats