Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 11:13 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

I put Air Tags in all of our cars even though they have the factory tracking installed. Works even if they disconnect the battery and park it in a garage as long as there is a cell tower around the area.
The following users liked this post:
c1pher (09-08-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 12:01 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
I put Air Tags in all of our cars even though they have the factory tracking installed. Works even if they disconnect the battery and park it in a garage as long as there is a cell tower around the area.
...and warns a person that an AirTag is being used to track them. You're now even given the option to disable another person's AirTag. Android is getting support to disable them as well. These controls are necessary to protect victims of domestic violence, stalking, etc, but the functionality totally nerfs the utility of AirTags to track stolen goods.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:10 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Airtags are horrible GPS trackers.

Amazon Amazon
I got these for $25 and use them on my boats. $100 a year subscription.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:25 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel L
This makes sense. These cars already have GPS trackers built in along with LTE radios to connect to the cloud to send location data
Does the 992 or any current porsche offer connection of the native gps to an app or a cloud service to locate the car?

Old 09-06-2023, 03:36 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
...and warns a person that an AirTag is being used to track them. You're now even given the option to disable another person's AirTag. Android is getting support to disable them as well. These controls are necessary to protect victims of domestic violence, stalking, etc, but the functionality totally nerfs the utility of AirTags to track stolen goods.
Exactly this. If the thief has an iphone he will be notified that there is an airtag in the car.

If he has an android I am not sure what it will happen: can the air tag connect to an android and send it location? I think no but I am not sure. If it does not connect to android then you will get a new car location when there is an ipad/iphone nearby which is not ideal i.e might be too late

Last edited by silversurfer6; 09-06-2023 at 03:44 PM.
detansinn (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 03:43 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Does the 992 or any current porsche offer connection of the native gps to an app or a cloud service to locate the car?
The My Porsche app has a "Map" tab that shows the location of the vehicle, but since I always have my phone when I'm in the car, I can't be 100% positive that the position updates if the car moves without the phone in it. Nor do I know how often that location is updated.

Edit: And the vehicle page on My.Porsche.com also has a map showing the vehicle location, but the same caveats apply.

Last edited by Just J; 09-06-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:13 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

If you maintain a Porsche Connect subscription you can easily find the location of your car in the My Porsche app. You can also view tire pressure, locking status, beep the horn, etc. I find the base 'Car Remote' Connect package at ~$100/year is sufficient, no need for the more expensive navigation package since I always use Carplay/Waze, etc.
adrianp89 (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 04:35 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Because the scumbags will likely beat the sh*t out of it and trash it in all sorts of unsavory ways. 'Sullied' in other words - I wouldn't want 'damaged goods' back, no matter how much insurance pays to repair. .
100% agree. If your car is stolen it will be cained to within an inch of its life. Not warmed up before being thrashed or warmed down afterwards. Basically f**ked! Which you may not become aware of until months later, after the insurance is settled, when it starts to rattle and burn oil. And you’ll be left with the bill for repair
Old 09-06-2023, 07:24 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Airtags are horrible GPS trackers..
That's because they aren't GPS trackers per se. They are crowd funded GPS trackers. Every iPhone that "sees" the AirTag reports its location back to Apple. This way the owner can always see where his/her AirTag is located. In the case of a moving/stolen car other poster was right it will alert driver that a tag is following them, so they can deactivate it, so it's not much use unless the thieves are android only.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:11 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
That's because they aren't GPS trackers per se. They are crowd funded GPS trackers. Every iPhone that "sees" the AirTag reports its location back to Apple. This way the owner can always see where his/her AirTag is located. In the case of a moving/stolen car other poster was right it will alert driver that a tag is following them, so they can deactivate it, so it's not much use unless the thieves are android only.
It is not perfect, but it is something to cause them delay and distraction in the theft process. I also use them to track my luggage when we travel. I use the Porsche Connect as well, in Atlanta where I live they take the stolen cars to the airport parking lot and leave them for a while with the battery disconnected before they put them in shipping containers and send them to Africa. I also have Apex installed on one car, the dealer made me buy it, not sure if it has its own battery incase they disconnect the car battery.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:31 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
It is not perfect, but it is something to cause them delay and distraction in the theft process. I also use them to track my luggage when we travel. I use the Porsche Connect as well, in Atlanta where I live they take the stolen cars to the airport parking lot and leave them for a while with the battery disconnected before they put them in shipping containers and send them to Africa. I also have Apex installed on one car, the dealer made me buy it, not sure if it has its own battery incase they disconnect the car battery.
Oh I have them all over the place as well, just calling out the weakness....Same with Apex, same with Atlanta, I'm in East Cobb. Based on my insurance rate, I think Lexus SUV's like I have get stolen more often than 718's, but completely guessing.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Oh I have them all over the place as well, just calling out the weakness.....

I agree. At the end of the day, the AirTag was not designed to prevent theft - it was designed to find misplaced items.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:59 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
100% agree. If your car is stolen it will be cained to within an inch of its life. Not warmed up before being thrashed or warmed down afterwards. Basically f**ked! Which you may not become aware of until months later, after the insurance is settled, when it starts to rattle and burn oil. And you’ll be left with the bill for repair
This is nonsense. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Thrashing them (short of running into another object or purposely overreving them with a money shift if they are manual) is not going to harm the car. What do you think happens when people track these cars or go for top speed runs on the autobahn? They're basically "thrashing" their cars, i.e. driving them very very hard. Also if a thief is able to get the car started, it's highly unlikely they are going to immediately floor it and burn rubber. They will likely quietly drive away to not attract attention.

And what does "warmed down afterwards" mean? Who actually sits and waits for their cars to warm down after driving them? In the old days, that was something people did after driving turbocharged cars hard so oil can continue to circulate through the turbochargers. Then people installed turbo timers that did this for you. Now, all turbo cars have this feature built in where the car will continue to cool and circulate oil through the turbos after you shut them off.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:16 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
My favorite year!
Old 09-08-2023, 08:41 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is nonsense. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Thrashing them (short of running into another object or purposely overreving them with a money shift if they are manual) is not going to harm the car. What do you think happens when people track these cars or go for top speed runs on the autobahn? They're basically "thrashing" their cars, i.e. driving them very very hard. Also if a thief is able to get the car started, it's highly unlikely they are going to immediately floor it and burn rubber. They will likely quietly drive away to not attract attention.

And what does "warmed down afterwards" mean? Who actually sits and waits for their cars to warm down after driving them? In the old days, that was something people did after driving turbocharged cars hard so oil can continue to circulate through the turbochargers. Then people installed turbo timers that did this for you. Now, all turbo cars have this feature built in where the car will continue to cool and circulate oil through the turbos after you shut them off.
To me, your post sounds incredibly naive. However, if you’d really take back your stolen 992 in the belief that any amount of abuse will be negated by the turbo timer, I will respect that 👌

Quick Reply: Theft prevention