Sponsored by:

Theft prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:28 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
This is how tik tok clowns and meth heads steal cars.

High end car theft is a much more advanced game. Organized criminal groups scope out cars and target specific vehicles. They are usually watching the vehicle for a period of time, and usually steal the car by breaking into the house, taking the keys and driving off while the owner is sleeping, some more advanced thieves also have access to relay devices which can repeat the signal from keys for cars with keyless start. The car is then put on a container at the port and shipped overseas.

The best protection is to keep your keys in a faraday box, or metal container and not in an obvious location where a thief could quickly locate them.
I've heard that pros use trackers they can quickly attach under the car when out in public. Then they track patterns of use for the car and plan the theft for the most opportune times and locations.

Not really sure how effective that would be for cars that are only driven once a week, though. I'd think there would be battery issues on the tracker. And also, if the tracker is using GPS, I'd think there were connectivity issues with it being underneath a car. So not really sure how much a tracker approach would get used.

When there's a will, there's a way. So vigilance, a big dog, weapons and your significant other are the key. Can't leave the dog in the car, that would be inhumane. So leave the significant other in the car w/some of the weapons and take the dog into the restaurants or wherever. The dog is probably better company anyway.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:54 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerfield
This type of targeted theft has become a huge problem in the nicer suburbs around NYC. The cars are stolen and taken straight to the container port in Elizabeth. This is pretty brazen, the more common scenario is that they break into the house at night and steal the keys and drive off. This is not a political statement, but before COVID groups of people walking around with masks on would attract attention and now it is normal behavior. It is impossible to determine who these thieves are when they have masks on.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:49 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
This type of targeted theft has become a huge problem in the nicer suburbs around NYC. The cars are stolen and taken straight to the container port in Elizabeth.
This isn't new, but a symptom of the disease of people no longer paying attention to their environment. I bet those guys could clearly be seen while driving up to the house, either on the street or following him in another car. The driver didn't notice or wasn't looking. My 14 YO could have jacked that car out from under that guy, he was completely surprised and panicked from the start.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:17 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
This isn't new, but a symptom of the disease of people no longer paying attention to their environment. I bet those guys could clearly be seen while driving up to the house, either on the street or following him in another car. The driver didn't notice or wasn't looking. My 14 YO could have jacked that car out from under that guy, he was completely surprised and panicked from the start.
So it's the victim's fault he got robbed and not the perps? The guy wasn't driving in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night. While the victim could have certainly handled things better, I'm not sure anyone can maintain 100% vigilance (and paranoia) at all times. How many of us are outside in our driveways happily washing our cars for a couple of hours? What does it take for a car filled with punks to drive by and commit a car jacking?
Old 09-19-2023, 06:55 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
So it's the victim's fault he got robbed and not the perps? The guy wasn't driving in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night. While the victim could have certainly handled things better, I'm not sure anyone can maintain 100% vigilance (and paranoia) at all times. How many of us are outside in our driveways happily washing our cars for a couple of hours? What does it take for a car filled with punks to drive by and commit a car jacking?
True. I’m actually at the point when i wash my car, i leave the key inside the house. Crazy times indeed.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:56 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

So it's the victim's fault he got robbed and not the perps?
No. He was specifically targeted driving an expensive convertible, most likely not paying attention. He was unprepared for that scenario, probably never thought it might happen, was surprised and panicked, every criminals wet dream.

The guy wasn't driving in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night.
Irrelevant, property crime is a crime of opportunity, not location. He was victimized for a reason, probably seen as an easy target with a high value asset, but can't know for sure.

While the victim could have certainly handled things better, I'm not sure anyone can maintain 100% vigilance (and paranoia) at all times.
Completely disagree, being aware of your surroundings is an easy habit to form and simple stupid to do in real life. Paranoia on the other hand is not an awareness strategy it's a how to avoid life strategy. Like having jumper cables and a spare in my SUV, it's being prepared for what likely could happen (dead battery for me or others or tire damage), not paranoia. If I never drove the car because I was afraid of a flat tire, that would be paranoia.

How many of us are outside in our driveways happily washing our cars for a couple of hours? What does it take for a car filled with punks to drive by and commit a car jacking?
I am outside almost every non working hour and wash my car irregularly. This doesn't preclude being aware of my surroundings in order to see that car of thugs before they see me. And when they see I see them they've lost the element of surprise and will drive down the street carjack my neighbor who is talking on his phone trimming his hedge next to his new Escalade...Not paying attention=Easy pickings.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

@ndmiller TBH. It kind of looks like this guy has been living in his house for a while. With a decent car collection. If he was so obviously to his surroundings, why didnt this occur earlier? Like i said unprecedented times.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerfield
FACT: There's not a single car in that garage worth your life.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
True. I’m actually at the point when i wash my car, i leave the key inside the house. Crazy times indeed.
It's worth it to keep the key in the house so that the frunk doesn't open while you're washing it. :P
Old 09-20-2023, 10:27 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
FACT: There's not a single car in that garage worth your life.
Just curious, which car would be if it were in his garage? Maybe a GT2RS?
Old 09-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Deerfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
A highly optioned model in an exotic color - maybe
Old 09-20-2023, 04:06 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrianp89
PTS+ for sure.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:30 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

One of our flight crews got robbed at a gas station in Oakland last week. They were robbing a guy in the parking lot at gunpoint, then on their way out of the gas station they backed up to the crew's rental car and loaded all of their bags from the trunk of the rental car into the getaway car. The crew called the Oakland police, they told them it would be 3 hours before anybody might show up. They filed a report online. But at least their Nissan Altima was not taken...

Quick Reply: Theft prevention