992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023 | 10:38 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Our kid's baby nanny had her Hyundai sedan stolen recently by teenagers, right out of the parking garage of her condo building along with several others. Based on what she told me the reason you might not want it back is you will never get that weed smell out of the car. They recovered her car and it was pretty nasty inside.
Old 09-08-2023 | 10:39 AM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackland
Our kid's baby nanny had her Hyundai sedan stolen recently by teenagers, right out of the parking garage of her condo building along with several others. Based on what she told me the reason you might not want it back is you will never get that weed smell out of the car. They recovered her car and it was pretty nasty inside.
..... silver lining..... contact high.....
Old 09-08-2023 | 03:21 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is nonsense. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Thrashing them (short of running into another object or purposely overreving them with a money shift if they are manual) is not going to harm the car. What do you think happens when people track these cars or go for top speed runs on the autobahn? They're basically "thrashing" their cars, i.e. driving them very very hard. Also if a thief is able to get the car started, it's highly unlikely they are going to immediately floor it and burn rubber. They will likely quietly drive away to not attract attention.

And what does "warmed down afterwards" mean? Who actually sits and waits for their cars to warm down after driving them? In the old days, that was something people did after driving turbocharged cars hard so oil can continue to circulate through the turbochargers. Then people installed turbo timers that did this for you. Now, all turbo cars have this feature built in where the car will continue to cool and circulate oil through the turbos after you shut them off.
My Saturn was stolen from in front of my apartment in Jersey City years ago by a family of heroine addicts. I got it back in 36 hours with only the ignition was broken but the car was filled with hypodermic needles, dirty diapers and old baby formula bottles. Spent $500 to get the car cleaned & detailed in order to traded it the next day 150 miles from home. The sales person chased me out of the lot asking if I wanted the baby stuff in the glove compartment or trunk.......I politely said no and left. Traded for Red Honda Accord SE, the quickest car I could get.

How a thief drives the car they stole from you is nothing compared to how they treat it while in their possession.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023 | 06:34 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
Modern Porsche 911s don't attract thieves. They're hard to steal and there isn't nearly as much demand for parts as there is for something like a Honda Civic. It's a low reward proposition compared to the econoboxes. If you look on the Internet for the most common stolen cars in the United States, you'd be hard-pressed to find an expensive car on the list. Thanks to chipped keys, people don't really steal cars to go joyriding in the 21st century unless the owner left the keys in the car.

When traveling, choose your parking well and you've got almost nothing to worry about when it comes to theft -- the car will be there when you get back. Vandalism? Well, that's far more likely than the car being stolen. Depending upon where you live in the country, do not leave anything visible in the interior of the car. In places like San Francisco, thieves will smash windows just to see what's under that sweatshirt you threw in the back seat. When in doubt, unload the contents of your car and bring your stuff into your hotel room, etc.

At home, lock your car. Don't leave your keys in the car. Don't keep your keys with the car in your garage.
This is the way.

Certain Kia and Hyundai models had a recent surge in thefts, and it became a thing on TikTok. Google / YouTube Kia Boys. This was due to cost cutting measures, US market cars had no immobilizers!
https://www.theverge.com/23742425/ki...ok-hyundai-usb

Fear not, our Porsche cars have immobilizers that are essentially impossible to bypass.
Old 09-08-2023 | 06:41 PM
BondJ
Pro

“Fear not, our Porsche cars have immobilizers that are essentially impossible to bypass.”

Not to mention LiPo batteries that crap out every fifteen minutes making the car impossible to start…

Old 09-08-2023 | 06:46 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Most high value vehicles are placed in a container and shipped overseas. Not a lot of part out money since it’s low volume. Port authorities find them all the time along with bogus manifests.

I have an AirTag in the car where it’s difficult to find or hear. They are in all my cars. I also keep the car keys with me if I leave the house and keep them in a small metal box so a middleware device can’t replay the remote signal.
Old 09-08-2023 | 06:55 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

I took the AirTags out of my cars. Apparently thieves are using Bluetooth scanners to target cars, looking for phones and electronic devices:
https://www.wired.com/story/bluetoot...er-car-thefts/

Old 09-08-2023 | 08:11 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BondJ
To me, your post sounds incredibly naive. However, if you’d really take back your stolen 992 in the belief that any amount of abuse will be negated by the turbo timer, I will respect that 👌
Yeah. That’s exactly what I said.
Old 09-09-2023 | 11:37 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

I agree that manual is probably the best deterrent
The following users liked this post:
blackland (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023 | 03:16 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelp
I took the AirTags out of my cars. Apparently thieves are using Bluetooth scanners to target cars, looking for phones and electronic devices:
https://www.wired.com/story/bluetoot...er-car-thefts/
I heard about that too, so now turn off Bluetooth on my work laptop when traveling in the car. Here in San Francisco it's very common for thieves to break into parked cars when there is anything visible in them. Now we also suffer from car trunks being broken into, even when nothing is visible, because thieves detect some electronic signal and then guess there might be valuables in the trunk. Thankfully I have a garage and can park my 992 inside.
Old 09-17-2023 | 11:50 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Apparently getting bad in Canada:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...is-Canada.html
Old 09-18-2023 | 11:29 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

What are these scanners that can detect blue tooth trackers?
Old 09-18-2023 | 12:17 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by michaelp
This is the way.

Certain Kia and Hyundai models had a recent surge in thefts, and it became a thing on TikTok. Google / YouTube Kia Boys. This was due to cost cutting measures, US market cars had no immobilizers!
https://www.theverge.com/23742425/ki...ok-hyundai-usb

Fear not, our Porsche cars have immobilizers that are essentially impossible to bypass.
This is how tik tok clowns and meth heads steal cars.

High end car theft is a much more advanced game. Organized criminal groups scope out cars and target specific vehicles. They are usually watching the vehicle for a period of time, and usually steal the car by breaking into the house, taking the keys and driving off while the owner is sleeping, some more advanced thieves also have access to relay devices which can repeat the signal from keys for cars with keyless start. The car is then put on a container at the port and shipped overseas.

The best protection is to keep your keys in a faraday box, or metal container and not in an obvious location where a thief could quickly locate them.

Last edited by malba2366; 09-18-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2023 | 10:13 AM
Deerfield
Advanced

Then there is just this way - left the Porsches for the AM - Video shows carjackers punching driver before stealing his Aston Martin from his own garage - ABC7 Los Angeles
Old 09-19-2023 | 10:52 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Originally Posted by Deerfield
Sounds about right for a state where you can’t protect your home.

Quick Reply: Theft prevention