992 Tow Hitch options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:26 AM
blackreplica
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 992 Tow Hitch options?

Dear friends

Stupid question I know but please bear with me. I am in the market for a new car and the 992 is naturally at the top of the list. The only problem is I absolutely need a tow hitch on the car (its for racebikes on trailers and i dont believe in owning more than one car, also panameras and SUVs not under consideration)

Someone told me there might be a porsche factory part somewhere that might fit the 992 and allow it to tow trailers but i certainly havent seen one of heard of it

I live in a country where custom fabricating one for the car iwill be near impossible because of a lack of expertise (and I don't even know if it could be done because I havent seen a single 992 anywhere on the interweb with a tow hitch attached)

If an obtainable tow hitch option for the 992 exists anywhere, this car jumps to the top of my list, and i so want it on the top of my list

Thank you all and I appreciate the help
Old 04-12-2021, 11:39 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

There was a guy making hitches that bolted to the Cayman awhile back. Don't know if it would cross over or if he he's making one for 992 but you might start with a search for Cayman trailer hitch.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM
blackreplica
5th Gear

Since someone might search and come across this thread in the future, i searched and found it but there is no option for the 992

http://www.hhrproducts.com/porsche-9...trailer-hitch/

Still dont see a proper hitch like this for a 992 anywhere
Old 04-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I so much want you to have one, but the rear end of a 911 does not look like it could possibly accommodate a tow hook. Google photos with the rear bumper off. Also, here is a string of photos - go down the string and you'll find a cutaway of the 992 rear end. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/07/...#slide-1290668
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
blackreplica (04-12-2021), tarrat (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

That certainly would be challenging, having had the rear bumper cover off and looked around, I don't see much to attach to, it's all engine, airbox and exhaust at the back. I'd suggest you look at a BMW M3 instead, with a front engine car your options to put a hitch on the back increase considerably, as does room to haul parts and kit for a track bike.

Realistically though, if you are running racing motorcycles and old SUV or Pickup Truck or even City Van is far superior to any kind of car for tow duty. I raced bikes for years and always needed that kind of space. Get the right tool for the job and al that. But if you are set on just one car, I don't think a rear-engined one is the right one for tow duty. A Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter is ideal - no trailer needed.
The following users liked this post:
blackreplica (04-19-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:23 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That certainly would be challenging, having had the rear bumper cover off and looked around, I don't see much to attach to, it's all engine, airbox and exhaust at the back. I'd suggest you look at a BMW M3 instead, with a front engine car your options to put a hitch on the back increase considerably, as does room to haul parts and kit for a track bike.

Realistically though, if you are running racing motorcycles and old SUV or Pickup Truck or even City Van is far superior to any kind of car for tow duty. I raced bikes for years and always needed that kind of space. Get the right tool for the job and al that. But if you are set on just one car, I don't think a rear-engined one is the right one for tow duty.
I suspect the problem the op has is that he lives in Singapore; there you pay exorbitant fees for what is a called a 'Certificate of Entitlement', i.e. a license to own a car. Like $40-50k SG plus the (high) cost of the car / pickup itself. Then there's parking, gets very expensive very quickly.
detansinn (04-13-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:15 PM
blackreplica
5th Gear

Realistically though, if you are running racing motorcycles and old SUV or Pickup Truck or even City Van is far superior to any kind of car for tow duty. I raced bikes for years and always needed that kind of space. Get the right tool for the job and al that. But if you are set on just one car, I don't think a rear-engined one is the right one for tow duty. A Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter is ideal - no trailer needed.
Thanks for the advice, the M3 is actually my second choice. The truth is i am about 99% sure getting a proper tow hitch on the 992 is an impossibility but i thought i would check here just in case I was wrong (or at least I was hoping I was wrong)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:16 PM
blackreplica
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aggie57
I suspect the problem the op has is that he lives in Singapore; there you pay exorbitant fees for what is a called a 'Certificate of Entitlement', i.e. a license to own a car. Like $40-50k SG plus the (high) cost of the car / pickup itself. Then there's parking, gets very expensive very quickly.
Absolutely right. Cars are horrendously expensive here. I could always keep my current car to tow my trailer but I really dont believe in owning multiple cars. Its a big city here, even one car doesnt get used all that much to get around
The following 2 users liked this post by blackreplica:
aggie57 (04-19-2021), detansinn (04-13-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Here's the back of a 992 with the bumper cover off - I don't see any place you could possibly install a hitch onto this car....do you?

The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
997usa (04-19-2021), blackreplica (04-19-2021), michaelp (07-04-2022)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Here's the back of a 992 with the bumper cover off - I don't see any place you could possibly install a hitch onto this car....do you?
Reminds me of the end of Predator when he removes his mask.
Liquidgold (11-06-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 PM
ppcchengf
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Unrelated question, does you car have the sport design rear bumper?

My car with the standard bumpers have different ducting arrangement under the cover, didn't realize that the vent on the bottom of the Sport design is functional, seem like you get additional intercooler cooling.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 PM
blackreplica
5th Gear

Not only does it look like there's no attachment points, even if there was one, it would need a hole in the bumper for the hitch to stick out through...I can't accept cutting holes in the bumper of the 992. I'm planning to visit a custom tow hitch fabricator here for a consult session, and will supply him all these pics of the bodywork off (thank you for sharing them!). If there's any good news, I will update the thread
Old 07-04-2022, 11:59 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Just kicking this thread to see if anyone found a solution yet.

A while back I saw a thread where a 991 owner was able to instal a receptacle to accept a tow hitch behind the license plate. Just pop off the plate, insert a square drawbar with a ball mount and you’re done.

I would love to tow a little camp trailer behind my 911 and road-trip across North America.
The following 2 users liked this post by Victor C3:
AlterZgo (07-04-2022), Dan Nagy (07-04-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Tow Hitch options?