Sponsored by:

European Aspheric Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 11:00 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Ok, I am German, living in the U.S. for 20+ years. While the European mirrors clearly are a convenience, the same result can be achieved by positioning the U.S. mirror appropriately at a wide angle, i.e. you do not see the side of your own car. I drive a Cabrio, meaning with top up you see nothing even with a correct "looking over your shoulder turn". With the correct mirror setting there is zero blindspot and I have been using this set-up ever since I moved to the States. Having LCA, of course, is a nice feature especially in a Cabrio as well.
Agree 👍👍👍

Several years ago and many cars ago I retrofitted euro mirrors on an Audi TT - at the time I believe they were around $70 for the pair.

I didn’t perceive any significant benefit and never did it again and won’t be fitting to my Porsche.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:45 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by passat774
Anyone do this have pictures?
Originally Posted by 992DAD
There's a reason why they are cheaper.

Do you really think they are finding these parts cars in the junk yard?
I’ve never had my mirrors stolen on any of my nice cars. Have others?

I get the implication, and I’m sure it happens, but I’m not convinced every ebay seller is out there stealing mirrors. There are legit channels to obtain and sell these.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:01 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,796 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Ok, I am German, living in the U.S. for 20+ years. While the European mirrors clearly are a convenience, the same result can be achieved by positioning the U.S. mirror appropriately at a wide angle, i.e. you do not see the side of your own car. I drive a Cabrio, meaning with top up you see nothing even with a correct "looking over your shoulder turn". With the correct mirror setting there is zero blindspot and I have been using this set-up ever since I moved to the States. Having LCA, of course, is a nice feature especially in a Cabrio as well.
Well stated. Most people don’t know how to appropriately set their mirrors.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
apias (03-04-2022), OliverK68 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 02:09 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Welcome to Alaska and have a nice day....

6 inches cleared, Olga has a full tank of diesel and so we're ready for the onslaught.

siberian
Send it down to Southern Idaho-Eastern Wyoming. We really need snow bad.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:50 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
It's called shoulder checking and it is considered good practice, in North America at least. In some jurisdictions, not doing it can fail your driving test. Even cars with apsherical mirrors have blind spots, albeit smaller than the mirrors we get.
If your mirrors are properly adjusted, you shouldn't have blind spots if you have half decent peripheral vision. Most people (and parking garage attendants) adjust the mirrors so they look back along the side of the car, but they really need to be aimed much further out. If you do it right, as overtaking cars go off the edge of your rear view mirror they'll appear on the side mirrors, and as they come off the side mirrors they'll appear in your peripheral vision. If you are overtaking, the process from peripheral vision to mirror to mirror will work in reverse.

Here's a trick I learned years ago from the Car Talk guys: Start with the left mirror and tilt your head over till it almost touches your left shoulder, then adjust until you just barely see the back end of your car in the edge of the mirror. Repeat on the right side. When your head is upright you won't see your car at all because the mirrors are now correctly aimed at the lanes to either side of you. You may have to play around with the tilt up/down a bit to get it just right.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 03:54 PM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by apias
If your mirrors are properly adjusted, you shouldn't have blind spots if you have half decent peripheral vision. Most people (and parking garage attendants) adjust the mirrors so they look back along the side of the car, but they really need to be aimed much further out. If you do it right, as overtaking cars go off the edge of your rear view mirror they'll appear on the side mirrors, and as they come off the side mirrors they'll appear in your peripheral vision. If you are overtaking, the process from peripheral vision to mirror to mirror will work in reverse.

Here's a trick I learned years ago from the Car Talk guys: Start with the left mirror and tilt your head over till it almost touches your left shoulder, then adjust until you just barely see the back end of your car in the edge of the mirror. Repeat on the right side. When your head is upright you won't see your car at all because the mirrors are now correctly aimed at the lanes to either side of you. You may have to play around with the tilt up/down a bit to get it just right.
Yup I can vouch for this method, also learned it on Car Talk. I've been using it for very, very long and it completely eliminated my blind spots. Now that you mention it, I can almost hear Click and Clack explaining it
Old 03-04-2022, 04:07 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lemonorlime
Yup I can vouch for this method, also learned it on Car Talk. I've been using it for very, very long and it completely eliminated my blind spots. Now that you mention it, I can almost hear Click and Clack explaining it
Including all the wisecracks mixed into the explanation.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:52 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,796 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by apias

That method works or….

​​​​​​….you can pull alongside a vehicle until it disappears behind your C-pillar and cannot be seen when looking over your shoulder. Adjust your mirror until you can see that car. Do that for both sides and you won’t have any blind spots.

Quick Reply: European Aspheric Mirrors