Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:39 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Diane Garcia
...But wheels are something you cannot change. So many choices on the Porsche build site! ...
Sure you can...but it'll cost ya!

I only say that because I got the same exact wheels as you. I love them, but definitely find myself thinking about what it would look like with a different choice.
The following users liked this post:
Diane Garcia (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:03 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Per what is said above, when ready, you can get different alloys. If the cost it too high, look for re-sale. Personally, I think there are better looking alloys available, than what Porsche sells, if you go after-market. Red stitching would have really set the car off. But all these are minor. Overall, your car looks very nice.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (06-01-2021), Diane Garcia (06-01-2021), timjab (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:16 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm in the camp that thinks to keep a car feeling special it should not be a daily driver. I daily drove my previous 991.2 Carrera T and ended up feeling very non-special most of the time. I tired of the lack of storage space, tight seats, noise, spartan interior, and lack of features and amenities in an every day, every weather daily driver. But those are all things I might actually enjoy in a fun, sunny day car. It probably didn't help that it was racing yellow, and sometimes I just didn't want to drive the bright yellow 911.

The times when I could take it out for a spirited drive were brilliant though, and I do miss that. So now I'm considering a 992 C2S manual, but not as a daily. My concern is that a 992 C2S manual might not feel special enough as a weekend, fun car! All modern sports cars have gotten so fast, so good, and Porsches in particular that they can feel numb or dull when not near the limits. And the limits are so high you can't safely approach them very often. So maybe the answer, like some have said here, is an older car that has more flaws, personality, character, even if it has a lot less speed and power.

I chuckle at the irony of a modern 911, where a Carrera is twin turbo with tiny lag and everybody lusts after the NA GT cars. It used to be that everybody lusted after the Turbo, with widow maker-lag, and lower power than todays base Carrera. I'd love a GT3 as a fun weekend car, but I can't get one so why bother. Just like the new Rolex Daytona - that's great they make them but good luck actually buying one so what's the point.
The following 3 users liked this post by 6sigma:
Patriot (06-01-2021), smiles11 (06-01-2021), Tupper (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Sharky114
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same boat. Missed the engagement in the 992S. Just traded it in for a Taycan 4S as a daily driver. It will arrive in August. Posted a threat on the Taycan forum. Eventually I will buy a classic 911: G-model, 993 or 997 for the weekends.

The 992 is too refined. I have the PDK and missed the manual gearbox from the beginning. The lag is this car is awful when using it for daily commute. The 911 was and still is my dreamcar....but not the 992. You will be amazed by the performance and spaceship feeling of the Taycan. It is unique in every way and much more enjoyable / engaging as a daily than the 992.

Sell the car...life is too short

Last edited by Sharky114; 06-01-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
#1 is the lack of ease in getting into the frunk if the battery drops below 10v. For me, it’s a no brainer that the owner should be able to easily get into the frunk to jump the battery. It’s doable, but IMO, gaining access to the frunk seems unnecessarily complicated/difficult. My service adviser told me he thinks Porsche pourposely makes it a challenge, to see if you are smart enough to own a 911? Haha.

# 2 Per previous generations of 911’s, a number of the functions were located on buttons that one can easily select. Now, some of the functions have moved to the PCM. Again, not a deal breaker, but IMO, Porsche should have kept the buttons.

#3 The thing I miss most (from my BMW M4) is having a heads-up display.

Let me say, after 3 weeks of ownership...the 992 S is the best, most exciting to drive car I have ever owned....by a huge margin. It’s such a joy to drive. My service adviser recently asked if I wanted to sell my car back to the dealership...and he was willing to pay $20K MORE than what I paid. I didn’t think one second about his offer...there was zero chance that I would sell my 992 S.
Coming from an M3... I agree, and might add
#1 - just getting into the frunk sucks. I get it, it is a safety thing to use the latch, but man, it sucks.
#1.5 - speaking of frunk - closing it sucks... gently close. then push again.
#2 - agree - the push for reducing the number of buttons went too far. Garage door opener? Oh, I'll just burn up one of the two configurable buttons I have (seriously two?)
#3 - I don't miss the HUD however, not sure why

In short, what an amazing car to drive - This morning I told my 17 year old that my old 2018 M3 felt like a boat compared to my 911. But for a car that is about 6.5" shorter than my M3, it sure does give up a lot of usability for a DD.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by doug_999
Coming from an M3... I agree, and might add
#1 - just getting into the frunk sucks. I get it, it is a safety thing to use the latch, but man, it sucks.
#1.5 - speaking of frunk - closing it sucks... gently close. then push again.
#2 - agree - the push for reducing the number of buttons went too far. Garage door opener? Oh, I'll just burn up one of the two configurable buttons I have (seriously two?)
#3 - I don't miss the HUD however, not sure why

In short, what an amazing car to drive - This morning I told my 17 year old that my old 2018 M3 felt like a boat compared to my 911. But for a car that is about 6.5" shorter than my M3, it sure does give up a lot of usability for a DD.
Hi Doug,

I’m one of those car guys who builds an emotional attachment for every car I buy. I always pay cash, in full. Never bought a car on credit...and keep cars for (at least) 10 years). I go into each purchase with eyes wide open and informed. Each car has it’s own set of attributes and issues that separate it from each of my 5 cars. There are things I love more about my M4 over the 992S...and visa versa. For me, each car serves a different purpose in my life. For example, when I go out for dinner, etc...I take the M4. When I want to go out for a afternoon drive, I take the 992. When I go someplace that my wife and I need to take a lot of stuff, we take the SUV. If I need to make a quick run to the hardware or liquor store, I take the plug-in Prius. Finally, when we go to the beach or camping with our two (large) dogs, I take the Honda Odyssey....which can get as dirty/sandy as we want, and it doesn’t bother me. Our next car will be an electric SUV, so will probably sell the Lexus and Prius when we do.

The bottom line (for me) is - No one, or even two cars can meet all my family’s needs and expectations. The Porsche is no acception. Since I am now retired (sold my business), every day is a vacation day for my wife and I, ergo, the Porsche is gonna get a lot of spirited drives, on empty roads, once it’s broken in....IMO, that’s where the 911 excels, and plan to use it.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-01-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I'm in the camp that thinks to keep a car feeling special it should not be a daily driver. I daily drove my previous 991.2 Carrera T and ended up feeling very non-special most of the time. I tired of the lack of storage space, tight seats, noise, spartan interior, and lack of features and amenities in an every day, every weather daily driver. But those are all things I might actually enjoy in a fun, sunny day car. It probably didn't help that it was racing yellow, and sometimes I just didn't want to drive the bright yellow 911.

The times when I could take it out for a spirited drive were brilliant though, and I do miss that. So now I'm considering a 992 C2S manual, but not as a daily. My concern is that a 992 C2S manual might not feel special enough as a weekend, fun car! All modern sports cars have gotten so fast, so good, and Porsches in particular that they can feel numb or dull when not near the limits. And the limits are so high you can't safely approach them very often. So maybe the answer, like some have said here, is an older car that has more flaws, personality, character, even if it has a lot less speed and power.

I chuckle at the irony of a modern 911, where a Carrera is twin turbo with tiny lag and everybody lusts after the NA GT cars. It used to be that everybody lusted after the Turbo, with widow maker-lag, and lower power than todays base Carrera. I'd love a GT3 as a fun weekend car, but I can't get one so why bother. Just like the new Rolex Daytona - that's great they make them but good luck actually buying one so what's the point.
+1

There will always be a more ‘exciting’ car out there. Any car that gets daily driven will lose some of its luster over time. What keeps my 992 special is having it for a weekend/fun car. My wife & son love the car! Their excitement for the car connects us - and that is what makes a special car - when it’s capable of being fun while involving the ones you love most.

Last edited by smiles11; 06-01-2021 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
audimotion (06-02-2021), Tupper (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 674 Likes on 366 Posts

I tell everyone my M4 is the best overall car I own and ever owned. Have thought that forever, it is like a european muscle car that can drift on demand at the track and keep up with almost anything under a supercar.

It is also WAY better than the e46/e92 that came before it as the chassis and brakes on those were trash and they weighed a lot for their size.

Maitre_Absolut (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:52 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Most Porsche sports cars will not be as exciting as some of the other marques.

Before anyone calls me out on that, let me clarify. They are incredibly capable cars that will keep you safe while enjoying them - but watch some of the "supercar fails" videos on YouTube and you won't see many Porsches. If you want a car that rides on the edge of control at times, will snap oversteer or just get away from you if you don't properly apply power there are plenty of other cars out there that will do that. A 992 will, for the most part, be relatively easy to control or recover if things start to go awry. It can still be made to do the things some other cars can do, albeit with less drama.

The most exciting car I have owned was an Aston Martin Vantage S. My heart would pound every time I put the "emotional control unit" in the ignition.

But it was mostly because you legitimately never knew if it was going to start. Seriously. I was stranded more times in that car than one would think was possible. Exciting, just in a different way.
The fact that Porsches, because of the now well tamed pendulum effect, allow more time for recovery with loss of traction is a really important point.
The low polar moment of inertia mid engine cars rotate so quickly by design that they do indeed seem to be involved in more loss of control accidents than 911s.
Additionally, Ferraris seem to be designed to have hair trigger response of steering and throttle to seem like a racecar that I believe makes them arguably less of a driver's car than a Porsche.

I owned a 308 Quattrovalvole coupe for 12 years, and drove it mainly in canyons and found the steering feel and ratio to be excellent, as were the 911s of that era.

I would argue that braking, throttle, and steering feel in current 911s make them more of a driver's car than current mid-engine Ferraris.
Great point Dr. G.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I tell everyone my M4 is the best overall car I own and ever owned. Have thought that forever, it is like a european muscle car that can drift on demand at the track and keep up with almost anything under a supercar.

It is also WAY better than the e46/e92 that came before it as the chassis and brakes on those were trash and they weighed a lot for their size.

It is a great car, and reason #1 why I kept it when I got the 992S.
welikethetrack (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharky114
I was in the same boat. Missed the engagement in the 992S. Just traded it in for a Taycan 4S as a daily driver. It will arrive in August. Posted a threat on the Taycan forum. Eventually I will buy a classic 911: G-model, 993 or 997 for the weekends.

The 992 is too refined. I have the PDK and missed the manual gearbox from the beginning. The lag is this car is awful when using it for daily commute. The 911 was and still is my dreamcar....but not the 992. You will be amazed by the performance and spaceship feeling of the Taycan. It is unique in every way and much more enjoyable / engaging as a daily than the 992.

Sell the car...life is too short
Huh?

I mean.................Huh?

You thought that the 911 wasn’t engaging enough so you...............bought an EV?

Major head scratcher..
The following 4 users liked this post by Tupper:
smiles11 (06-01-2021), tez2013 (07-03-2021), timjab (06-01-2021), welikethetrack (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Huh?

I mean.................Huh?

You thought that the 911 wasn’t engaging enough so you...............bought an EV?

Major head scratcher..
Yeah, got to say that makes zero sense.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:01 PM
Sharky114
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

That’s what I am saying..... even the EV from Porsche is more engaging than the 992!!

it’s true
Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

That’s what I am saying..... even the EV from Porsche is more engaging than the 992!!

it’s true
Define “engaging”?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

it’s true

Tedster (06-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?