Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono and Tac color for GT Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:59 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Sport Chrono and Tac color for GT Silver?

Hello! Do you have a stellar suggestion for a nice pairing of the Sport Chrono Stopwatch and/or Tachometer (in all likelihood, just the stopwatch) with a GT Silver Exterior and Sport-Tex interior? I'm leaning towards a bland White. I do intend to leave the interior trim as the base "Dark Silver." (Yes, I'm aware of the trim gaps that Nick Murray details in his videos.)

I have read many-a-posts of the paint and interior selections on this forum and have been—overall—impressed by the sentiments expressed therein. Thanks in advanced!
The following users liked this post:
Harris27 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:55 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
Hello! Do you have a stellar suggestion for a nice pairing of the Sport Chrono Stopwatch and/or Tachometer (in all likelihood, just the stopwatch) with a GT Silver Exterior and Sport-Tex interior? I'm leaning towards a bland White. I do intend to leave the interior trim as the base "Dark Silver." (Yes, I'm aware of the trim gaps that Nick Murray details in his videos.)

I have read many-a-posts of the paint and interior selections on this forum and have been—overall—impressed by the sentiments expressed therein. Thanks in advanced!
I have white tach and chrono on my 992TTS (gt silver/full leather graphite blue).
it looks fine, but not sure it’s worth it.

PS - I would have preferred the old-style all-white gauge face rather than just the colored ring design that is offered now.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-17-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Pick what you like.

I had white gauge faces on my 981S, never again. It looked very washed out and the hands were very hard to see in the daylight. At night, it was ok, at least I didn't have the tell-tale cutouts anymore.

"For me", it's a set of gauges, so I'd always opt for black.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:30 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 786 Posts

My view is the sublime elegance of a GT Silver car with SportTex seats won't be improved by adding colored guages (or belts).
Old 03-17-2021, 11:41 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Personally, I like the ring rather than the full face. I was considering a red chrono ring when I originally spec'ed with black leather.... but after switching that up to BR/BLK i just removed the colors.

If you are considering white, you may want to take a look at this thread..... maybe not a big deal, but looks like it would be annoying at times:
is there a way to change the color of the tach numbers so you can see them?? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Harris27
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Daft Chief

I have a GT silver 992. I spec'd my chrono in white. It looks great! I will say that the reflections into the windshield during the day are a tad bit annoying...
Old 03-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harris27
I have a GT silver 992. I spec'd my chrono in white. It looks great! I will say that the reflections into the windshield during the day are a tad bit annoying...
Ah! This is what I was worried about... thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:33 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

If you're getting a S model...I think guards red seat belts, tach, and SC face would go well to match the brake calipers and a GT Silver exterior.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:45 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3uros
If you're getting a S model...I think guards red seat belts, tach, and SC face would go well to match the brake calipers and a GT Silver exterior.
Great suggestion, the S is something I'm considering but the order delays here are twice as long.

Originally Posted by gcurnew
My view is the sublime elegance of a GT Silver car with SportTex seats won't be improved by adding colored guages (or belts).
This is where my head is often at, especially considering the noise of the deviated stitching with the Sport-Tex pattern...

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Pick what you like.

I had white gauge faces on my 981S, never again. It looked very washed out and the hands were very hard to see in the daylight. At night, it was ok, at least I didn't have the tell-tale cutouts anymore.

"For me", it's a set of gauges, so I'd always opt for black.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. These do look hard to read. Gauges definitely make sense on black... but a stopwatch... there's an invitation for customization I can't seem to shake. I would prefer it be the whole face and not just the ring...
Old 03-17-2021, 01:49 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

GT Silver w/ full black leather. Wanted something to break up all the black. Went red & aluminum trim & shifter. Coming up on a year now & still like it very much. Didn't do SC face as I thought it would be distracting on top of the dash.

YMMV.

Last edited by 540gone; 03-17-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Add SC comment
The following users liked this post:
Marantz2270 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 418 Posts

Just know that the white ring on the tach and chrono gauge makes it difficult to see the numerals as they are illuminated. I like the red accents the most, and they are a great way to pull some red from outside (the carrera S calipers) into the interior. If doing red, I would also option red seat belts. I'd save the money and reallocate it to something more useful, like extended range tank, cabin ionizer, etc.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 03-17-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a GT Silver car on order, and I went back 'n forth on black versus white tach/chrono. Ultimately, I settled back on black. I don't want the tach or chrono reflecting in the windshield and I was happy saving the money (I know it is chump change for a lot of folks hear, but I just couldn't justify the hundreds of dollars it would take to get two colored rings, call me a Cheap Charlie).

I do think red instruments with red seat belts over a black interior would look very handsome on a GT Silver car.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

When the subject of white dials comes up here it's like a confirmation bias-fest. I have the white dials. It truly lifts a black interior and adds sportiness. No reflection or readability issues here, nor have I inhaled fatal toxic fumes emanating from the dials.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:29 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

If you're specing PCCB I'd suggest yellow rings, at least in the tach - adds a Ferrari-like touch also!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:15 AM
Harris27
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the white tach is a great idea. Regardless of reflection on the sport chrono, I still would have gone with white because it looks great on the black interior. But yes, there is a reflection on the chrono.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono and Tac color for GT Silver?