Sponsored by:

C4S / PDK drive was magic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by bkknight369
As much as I miss driving a 6mt, if I'm honest I was never a 'great' MT driver -- never did well in mastering downshifting effectively, and in turn was pretty sheepish. If I dropped 150k on a car, I'd probably baby the car for a super long time for fear of stalling even once. And my wife would never be able to drive it. But I had so much confidence in the PDK, and could honestly seeing my self going to local track events (with some baby steps).

So, with some added clarity I'm onto the search phase to fill my life with a ridiculously expensive toy, wish me luck!
It's really hard for most to ever feel like a ‘great’ MT driver - especially after driving a PDK car. There's an art to perfecting shifts manually that is underappreciated. I have a lot of friends that own MT cars that will never truly master it. I definitely appreciate a well engineered MT like Porsche's - but I've always felt a MT better fits the personality of a NA/AC 911 - the way a PDK fits a modern TT engine just the same. Just a preference of mine - no wrong choice in choosing a MT/PDK.

Congratulations & GL

Last edited by smiles11; 03-09-2021 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bkknight369 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:49 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

The bottom line is that there are no bad choices. Everything boils down to fit with your lifestyle and preferences. From your last post it's pretty clear that PDK is the right fit for you. It's a fantastic gearbox and when you want to be more "engaged" playing the paddles can be great fun too. I drove manual sports cars for 40 years and felt that I got pretty good at it. But PDK fits me better now and I absolutely love it.

Enjoy the rest of the hunt. Once it's locked, the wait becomes excruciating but it's worth it in the end.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Seriously, you have a problem. PDK is not progress, it is an alternative. Manual is not retro, it is an alternative. Just like pasta or pizza, neither is better they are just different.
not a very good example ... but if you can point me to even a single high-performance sports car with manual transmission that competes in a competition of any kind at any level I am willing to accept that the one having problems is me
Old 03-09-2021, 07:56 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

who knows why when we talk about manual gearbox we always talk about glorious glories of the PAST, or how the real machos drove in the 19xx because you are not a real alpha male if you do not drive a naturally aspirated 911, rear wheel drive and without traction controls ... . it will be a coincidence ....
Old 03-09-2021, 08:33 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,244 Likes on 751 Posts

As much as I miss driving a 6mt, if I'm honest I was never a 'great' MT driver -- never did well in mastering downshifting effectively, and in turn was pretty sheepish. If I dropped 150k on a car, I'd probably baby the car for a super long time for fear of stalling even once. And my wife would never be able to drive it. But I had so much confidence in the PDK, and could honestly seeing my self going to local track events (with some baby steps).
The single biggest risk of getting a PDK...
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
bkknight369 (03-09-2021), SBAD (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:02 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by chicco 992
not a very good example ... but if you can point me to even a single high-performance sports car with manual transmission that competes in a competition of any kind at any level I am willing to accept that the one having problems is me
Again, irrelevant but whatever.

who knows why when we talk about manual gearbox we always talk about glorious glories of the PAST, or how the real machos drove in the 19xx because you are not a real alpha male if you do not drive a naturally aspirated 911, rear wheel drive and without traction controls ... . it will be a coincidence ....
And again, irrelevant but feel free to have that view.

Op - sounds like you've figured out what works best for you. That's cool, these are excellent cars that you can enjoy every time you drive it.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:03 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 942 Likes on 443 Posts

Manual is not retro, it is an alternative.
It's a little retro which is part of its charm. Vinyl vs digital, tubes vs solid state etc. etc. Manual is a nod to the past and while I skipped it this time, I might get it on the next one as they are fun.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

Again, irrelevant but whatever.

And again, irrelevant but feel free to have that view.

Op - sounds like you've figured out what works best for you. That's cool, these are excellent cars that you can enjoy every time you drive it.
when I read "PDK is not progress"

I had to immediately understand how you thought and avoid wasting any more time
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (03-11-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:12 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm nearing the culmination of a life-long dream: owning a Porsche super car. Having read every review and watched every video, I was certain what I wanted: C2S with an MT. Everyone says its the best. C4S is disconnected from the road, PDK loses 'connection' to the road.

Then I spent about an hour behind the wheel this weekend of a C4S.

Oh my ****, what a ride. The car takes corners (in wet conditions) way way faster than I ever had. The sound is intoxicating. I felt so secure and confident, but also fairly scared at how damn fast it is. The PDK is the most amazing thing ever. Very active downshifts, instant response all the time. Plus the supernatural shifts from normal to sport (even the engine shut down) was very clever. I loved the small details -- the heated seats and steering wheel were very comfortable, not too hot, just warm enough. Even the glass sunroof was amazing.

Now I'm a bit confused -- I was getting mentally prepared to wait 4-6 months for a custom C2S with 7MT. However teh PDK and C4S was so good, I think I could quickly get one off the lot somewhere in the country and have an awesome roadtrip to boot.

Not sure if I have a question here -- its impossible to find a 7mt to test drive, so I don't know how much of a step change it is compared to the PDK (and to be honest, i would NEVER, EVER be able to match the performance of a PDK anyway, and with a PDK I'd feel more comfortable going to a track day). Am crazy to not wait? Anyone move from a PDK to MT because they were suddenly out of love with the car? What would I lose if I move from C2S to C4S?

P.S. it took me about 30 min for my heart to calm down after the test drive. I think I'm addicted.
seek methadone to deal with your addiction.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:16 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

For those who are sheepish about getting a manual, there are many avenues to trying one out.Take a local hands on class first. My mechanic has several cheap cars in his parking lot for sale that have a manual. It would make sense to get one of these and drive it for a few months before placing your order.
My thoughts remain the same about Porsche Sport Cars. They can not be completely appreciated unless equipped with a manual transmission
Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malibu515
For those who are sheepish about getting a manual, there are many avenues to trying one out.Take a local hands on class first. My mechanic has several cheap cars in his parking lot for sale that have a manual. It would make sense to get one of these and drive it for a few months before placing your order.
My thoughts remain the same about Porsche Sport Cars. They can not be completely appreciated unless equipped with a manual transmission
Then I will have to incompletely appreciate my Porsche sports cars. I feel so inadequate.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:23 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Then I will have to incompletely appreciate my Porsche sports cars. I feel so inadequate.
yes ! Trade your car in immediately for a Rambler !
Old 03-09-2021, 09:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

when I read "PDK is not progress"

I had to immediately understand how you thought and avoid wasting any more time
Suggest you read up on the history of twin-clutch automated manual gearboxes. It goes back to before WW2. Now the real progress is in the electronics, that part I would agree with. But then apparently you know how I think so you'd know that already.

Out.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malibu515
yes ! Trade your car in immediately for a Rambler !
Done.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:30 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I shift with the paddles 100% of the time (put car in drive, select manual mode for EVERY drive) so the tach is used - and appreciated - in my PDK car as much as it would be if the car had a 7-speed manual gearbox.
That's fair enough. Must be the Porsche mystique. Most people stop paddling over time and leave it in auto. That's what I did with my auto/manual shift cars.

I have the same HD Iron 883 btw. A great way to experience retro technology without the hassle. On the fence about the big bore kit. Your experience?

Quick Reply: C4S / PDK drive was magic