C4S / PDK drive was magic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Done.
in the meantime, while you are enjoying your new, excuse me, slightly used, Rambler, please ship your incredible Targa to the below address. I would appreciate your paying for the transit. regards...
Old 03-09-2021, 09:36 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by chicco 992
not a very good example ... but if you can point me to even a single high-performance sports car with manual transmission that competes in a competition of any kind at any level I am willing to accept that the one having problems is me
I think you are missing the point. No one drives a 911Carrera to compete against other cars in a racing situation. If we push these cars, we are competing against ourselves. So it makes no difference if one transmission technology is technically superior to the other. A good analogy is golf - no one masters golf, yet we keep coming back because we enjoy the challenge. That is why some of us like manual transmissions.
The following users liked this post:
Jasonchom3 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:38 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I think you are missing the point. No one drives a 911Carrera to compete against other cars in a racing situation. If we push these cars, we are competing against ourselves. So it makes no difference if one transmission technology is technically superior to the other. A good analogy is golf - no one masters golf, yet we keep coming back because we enjoy the challenge. That is why some of us like manual transmissions.
I think YOU are missing the point ! The point of darts is to hit the bulls eye !
Old 03-09-2021, 09:47 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
in the meantime, while you are enjoying your new, excuse me, slightly used, Rambler, please ship your incredible Targa to the below address. I would appreciate your paying for the transit. regards...
Please also do the needful
Old 03-09-2021, 09:51 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

OK - will do. Decided against the Rambler. I'm going to go back to a 911 Turbo S. That way I can enjoy an "inadequate" vehicle with a PDK and not feel guilty about not getting the manual, since the manual can't seem to handle the torque of the Turbo S.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:04 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 942 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
OK - will do. Decided against the Rambler. I'm going to go back to a 911 Turbo S. That way I can enjoy an "inadequate" vehicle with a PDK and not feel guilty about not getting the manual, since the manual can't seem to handle the torque of the Turbo S.
Or you could get something in red from Italy and really celebrate your inadequacy. I forget, what percentage of their buyers are getting manuals?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Another nice thread ruined by this ridiculous MT vs PDK banter.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:20 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

I think YOU are missing the point ! The point of darts is to hit the bulls eye !
No, the point of darts is to have something to do while drinking beer...
AlexCeres (03-10-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 10:55 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
I blame ipse
Old 03-09-2021, 11:22 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

His work here is done.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:26 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
As someone waffling on PDK vs MT on my build that locks in a few weeks, I still feel like I kind of learn something from these debates.
bkknight369 (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 12:31 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

That's fair enough. Must be the Porsche mystique. Most people stop paddling over time and leave it in auto. That's what I did with my auto/manual shift cars.

I have the same HD Iron 883 btw. A great way to experience retro technology without the hassle. On the fence about the big bore kit. Your experience?
I actually started out (first few weeks of ownership) doing a mix of paddling and Sport+ in auto. After a while realized Sport+ in manual mode is far more satisfying as I can short shift to dial back every shift being at high RPM. Now can't imagine using the auto shift feature unless I was on the track using Sport+.

Had the dealer do the 1200 upgrade when the Iron 883 was brand new, which allowed it to be covered under the 7-year extended warranty. About 5500 km on the bike now, not a single problem with the 1200 upgrade nor anything else (other than needing a new battery late last season.) PM me if you want to chat more about it...don't want to hijack this thread.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-10-2021 at 01:38 AM.
SBAD (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:00 AM
Gando
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bkknight369
I'm nearing the culmination of a life-long dream: owning a Porsche super car. Having read every review and watched every video, I was certain what I wanted: C2S with an MT. Everyone says its the best. C4S is disconnected from the road, PDK loses 'connection' to the road.

Then I spent about an hour behind the wheel this weekend of a C4S.

Oh my ****, what a ride. The car takes corners (in wet conditions) way way faster than I ever had. The sound is intoxicating. I felt so secure and confident, but also fairly scared at how damn fast it is. The PDK is the most amazing thing ever. Very active downshifts, instant response all the time. Plus the supernatural shifts from normal to sport (even the engine shut down) was very clever. I loved the small details -- the heated seats and steering wheel were very comfortable, not too hot, just warm enough. Even the glass sunroof was amazing.

Now I'm a bit confused -- I was getting mentally prepared to wait 4-6 months for a custom C2S with 7MT. However teh PDK and C4S was so good, I think I could quickly get one off the lot somewhere in the country and have an awesome roadtrip to boot.

Not sure if I have a question here -- its impossible to find a 7mt to test drive, so I don't know how much of a step change it is compared to the PDK (and to be honest, i would NEVER, EVER be able to match the performance of a PDK anyway, and with a PDK I'd feel more comfortable going to a track day). Am crazy to not wait? Anyone move from a PDK to MT because they were suddenly out of love with the car? What would I lose if I move from C2S to C4S?

P.S. it took me about 30 min for my heart to calm down after the test drive. I think I'm addicted.
Ive had my C2S for a little over a year now. The PDK seriously impressed me. So much so, and fancying myself as a part time engineer, i decided to not rest until i figured out exactly how it works!
Had the car on a lift, took multiple 'test' drives in a range of conditions, read all literature from Porsche, studied engineering drawings of transmissions, consulted the service team at my dealership and FINALLY now I understand it............ its witchcraft. Thats all there is to it, and all any man needs to know.
In short, you will love the car, whichever way you decide.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:01 AM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

this point of view is absolutely shareable
Jasonchom3 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:20 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
As someone waffling on PDK vs MT on my build that locks in a few weeks, I still feel like I kind of learn something from these debates.
The "ridiculous" banter that supposedly ruins such threads is largely tongue in cheek. It's all opinion and personal preference with no right or wrong answer. Sometimes opinion is spoken as the gospel and people get called out on it, generally in a good natured way. Occasionally not.... but to those who get offended, well, just sign off. Life's too short.

The following 3 users liked this post by dgtarga:
aggie57 (03-10-2021), SBAD (03-10-2021), Stevelev (03-10-2021)

Quick Reply: C4S / PDK drive was magic