Sponsored by:

C4S / PDK drive was magic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 12:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by chicco 992
how many of these racers with track needs ever remove traction control and drive their RWD to feel the sensations they demand from their old school Porsche ... few ... very few ...
maybe none
Well, me for one. Always hit that nannies off button. PDK is hardly new tech, it’s been around for decades. Plus for mainly track use PDK is much better than manual, but then a GT3 or GT4 is a much better track car than a Carrera anyway.
I really don’t know why people want to get into a “this is better than that” argument around things like a gearbox. Neither is better or worse, just different. Variety is the spice of life after all.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:09 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Get the manual...

not because the PDK is not great (it is), but because the manual is what originally had your heart. Its also a magical combination in the 992 and its rarity will always make you feel special and connected with your machine. Going with the PDK will not be a bad decision per se...but it will not eliminate that doubt in the back of your mind...what if.

This is coming from a PDK owner...
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 01:51 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

As everyone says, both the manual and PDK are superb, and this is not a question of a good transmission or a bad one. I think it comes down to how you put on your miles. My car is for recreation (I'm retired) and 80 percent of my mileage is on secondary roads where shifting is fun-- so for me, it is the manual. If I were still working and using the car as a DD, slogging though rush hour traffic every day and only taking the car out on back roads a couple of times a month, I would opt for the PDK. So, for me, it comes down to the characteristics of your driving.
SBAD (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 02:05 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Well, me for one. Always hit that nannies off button. PDK is hardly new tech, it’s been around for decades. Plus for mainly track use PDK is much better than manual, but then a GT3 or GT4 is a much better track car than a Carrera anyway.
I really don’t know why people want to get into a “this is better than that” argument around things like a gearbox. Neither is better or worse, just different. Variety is the spice of life after all.
​​​​​​
a true alpha male...

agree for the rest
Old 03-09-2021, 02:21 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

so...
I deduce that all those who choose a manual RWD are real very skilled drivers who use the car only in dry conditions.
so why do I read about all these 911s used only in the summer?

rather, I fear that we are talking about the typical resistance to change of romantic Porsche customers ( analogic Vs Digital....)
YES! Some of us are very romantic! And there is nothing wrong with that. And let’s be honest, having a mechanical tachometer “front and center” in a car with an automatic transmission makes no sense either. Some would even call that an affectation. Just like there is no reason to have a DSLR in the age of digital imaging.

Watch an old film of a driver in a 908 doing a timed hill climb. That is the equivalent of a Tango - it’s a beautiful thing and simply can’t be done with an automatic. Romance always gets the girl...😊
Old 03-09-2021, 02:24 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

absolutely correct.

What's the point of looking for those sensations in a 992? Does this make sense ? I do not know.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:25 PM
chicco 992
Rennlist Member

it certainly makes more sense to have a mechanical tachometer than to refuse to give in to progress. but it's just my opinion
Old 03-09-2021, 03:52 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
Dear lord, you really did tick the boxes!

I thought it was wrong to tick pdcc (and therefore RAS) but it happened anyway! Well worth while imo, non spasm cars ride better, but the handling is simply sublime with pdcc and RAS.

As for pdk, it’s the best non manual gearbox I’ve ever used. Only time I drive manuals now is when getting holiday hire cars... not a fair comparison but always happy to get back in the lazy left foot motor.
I can't recall who or where it is, but someone on Rennlist said that a C2S or C4S is really a $150K to $160K car that some choose to de-content to configure it into a price range they can/want to afford. I think there is a lot of truth in that.

I also thought a lot about PDCC as there is not much support for it here. (Though I don't see many Turbo-S owners complaining about having it as standard) This is also my first 911. I did not choose the SPASM option as I have some steep driveways to navigate and but also wanted a slightly more forgiving ride after test driving SPASM 992's. I had PDCC in my previous Panamera Turbo-S however, and I could feel its effect on that larger vehicle, also similar systems in other brands. I like the flat cornering especially on some rather tight freeway on-ramps around here. So I traded off SPASM for a modicum of more ride comfort, with PDCC to help in the hard corners and general ride. Opinions appear very subjective so we will see as I get familiar.

Last edited by aquatone; 03-09-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

I am really glad this thread has not devolved into a PDK is better than a MT or vice versa discussion.

Kudos to everyone.
jnkirk1974 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 04:15 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
I can't recall who or where it is, but someone on Rennlist said that a C2S or C4S is really a $150K to $160K car that some choose to de-content to configure it into a price range they can/want to afford. I think there is a lot of truth in that.

I also thought a lot about PDCC as there is not much support for it here. (Though I don't see many Turbo-S owners complaining about having it as standard) This is also my first 911. I did not choose the SPASM option as I have some steep driveways to navigate and but also wanted a slightly more forgiving ride after test driving SPASM 992's. I had PDCC in my previous Panamera Turbo-S however, and I could feel its effect on that larger vehicle, also similar systems in other brands. I like the flat cornering especially on some rather tight freeway on-ramps around here. So I traded off SPASM for a modicum of more ride comfort, with PDCC to help in the hard corners and general ride. Opinions appear very subjective so we will see as I get familiar.
Count me as one who does support PDCC. My previous 911 was a 991.2 TTS, so RWS and PDCC was standard. I found the handling to be amazing and so with my Targa build (especially considering additional weight and higher center of gravity), PDCC was not a question. Why RWS and PDCC are a package deal for the Targa I don't know, but I checked that box and don't regret it at all. Some claim they feel the effect as artificial and somehow bothersome - I don't question that but I guess I just don't get that impression at all. The flat cornering is awesome, and with the AWD in the 4S I can push the car as hard as I'm ever going to and it just feels like it's totally in control. If you like the flat cornering, go with the PDCC. You're always going to get countering opinions (some spoken as the gospel) on anything and everything. If it's what you want go for it without a second thought.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:13 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

absolutely correct.

What's the point of looking for those sensations in a 992? Does this make sense ? I do not know.
it certainly makes more sense to have a mechanical tachometer than to refuse to give in to progress. but it's just my opinion
Seriously, you have a problem. PDK is not progress, it is an alternative. Manual is not retro, it is an alternative. Just like pasta or pizza, neither is better they are just different.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:45 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,244 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am really glad this thread has not devolved into a PDK is better than a MT or vice versa discussion.
Why would it?

It's universally accepted that PDK is superior to MT in every conceivable way.

There's simply no argument.

Peace.

The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
Russian Mafia (03-09-2021), Sal635 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:52 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
"...having a mechanical tachometer “front and center” in a car with an automatic transmission makes no sense either."
I shift with the paddles 100% of the time (put car in drive, select manual mode for EVERY drive) so the tach is used - and appreciated - in my PDK car as much as it would be if the car had a 7-speed manual gearbox.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-09-2021 at 06:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcurnew:
510michael (03-09-2021), Sal635 (03-09-2021), smiles11 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:00 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for everyone opinions and thoughts -- so interesting to see different view points. I thought deeply about what I want vs. felt, and locked on a few things:
- I'm fairly flexible on color and interior fit and finish trim -- not that important to me at long as the color combo is not crazy.
- I want a solid newish car. Brand new or low miles CPO is great
- I love love love how the 4S felt and sounded and felt with Premium and Sports packages.

As much as I miss driving a 6mt, if I'm honest I was never a 'great' MT driver -- never did well in mastering downshifting effectively, and in turn was pretty sheepish. If I dropped 150k on a car, I'd probably baby the car for a super long time for fear of stalling even once. And my wife would never be able to drive it. But I had so much confidence in the PDK, and could honestly seeing my self going to local track events (with some baby steps).

So, with some added clarity I'm onto the search phase to fill my life with a ridiculously expensive toy, wish me luck!

SBAD (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Thanks for everyone opinions and thoughts -- so interesting to see different view points. I thought deeply about what I want vs. felt, and locked on a few things:
- I'm fairly flexible on color and interior fit and finish trim -- not that important to me at long as the color combo is not crazy.
- I want a solid newish car. Brand new or low miles CPO is great
- I love love love how the 4S felt and sounded and felt with Premium and Sports packages.

As much as I miss driving a 6mt, if I'm honest I was never a 'great' MT driver -- never did well in mastering downshifting effectively, and in turn was pretty sheepish. If I dropped 150k on a car, I'd probably baby the car for a super long time for fear of stalling even once. And my wife would never be able to drive it. But I had so much confidence in the PDK, and could honestly seeing my self going to local track events (with some baby steps).

So, with some added clarity I'm onto the search phase to fill my life with a ridiculously expensive toy, wish me luck!
Best of luck to you. I am a MT guy, but your honest self assessment makes me think you would be happier with PDK, and your happiness is all that matters. I test drove one and would have chosen it IF I had to commute to work every day.

Quick Reply: C4S / PDK drive was magic