Sponsored by:

Disabling the rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 12:18 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
That all might be true. But I had a Subaru STI that had a big ol massive wing that I removed for the WRX version. I hit a curb avoiding a red light runner and my insurance rep didnt bat an eye at the smaller wing. I mean no offense to you or anyone else in here about this. But I think you guys are taking this to extremes. If you disable your wing and you wreck. No one is going to even know the wing didnt work. Unless it looks damaged, they will most likey assume its working fine and fix what they see wrong.
Here's the thing. The sorts of modifications we're talking about here, for all practical purposes, at street legal speeds, are rather meaningless eye candy. However, in the real world, the laws of physics can often be superseded by a good attorney or law firm. I would be willing to guess that in the event of a really serious accident, where damages sought and awarded can easily exceed the net worth of most folks (including some of those that own Porsches) even IF it was found (by a Jury, not an engineer) that the modification was ONLY responsible for 1%-2% of the damages, that small percentage can be a very heathy sum! All in all an extremely low probability, but the downsides of which, could be devastating.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:15 AM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Here's the thing. The sorts of modifications we're talking about here, for all practical purposes, at street legal speeds, are rather meaningless eye candy. However, in the real world, the laws of physics can often be superseded by a good attorney or law firm. I would be willing to guess that in the event of a really serious accident, where damages sought and awarded can easily exceed the net worth of most folks (including some of those that own Porsches) even IF it was found (by a Jury, not an engineer) that the modification was ONLY responsible for 1%-2% of the damages, that small percentage can be a very heathy sum! All in all an extremely low probability, but the downsides of which, could be devastating.
If this is true and there is actual legal precedent then almost every company that sells aftermarket mods for cars could potentially be on the hook. For example, if a car with an aftermarket exhaust was in a crash due to excessive speed, could a lawyer argue that the extra horsepower gain from said exhaust contributed to the accident? If so then I would think the exhaust manufacturer would be a target with much deeper pockets than Joe Schmoe. The implications of this idea is scary. I would think it could extrapolate to even window tint (for the argument of reducing night time visibility contributing to a collision).

Sorry for going so OT but how realistic is Bluehighways' scenario? If realistic I'm surprised we're not signing waivers for release of liability when purchasing mods, tinting or tuning our cars, etc.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:10 PM
993GT2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pics of the wing, there are more pics at our Instagram: weissachporsche

The following 5 users liked this post by 993GT2:
AlterZgo (11-23-2021), detansinn (03-07-2021), M3Inline6 (07-06-2021), RolandT (04-13-2022), wasabi4 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

wing looks awesome. were you able to program out the standard spoiler features?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:27 AM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Incorrect.

The front aero is changed, as well as its design.

Evo goes into further detail, but here's the punchline:

Read it all here.
I stand corrected!
Old 03-08-2021, 11:28 AM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT2
Here are some pics of the wing, there are more pics at our Instagram: weissachporsche

Looks pretty badass! I like it better than the factory aerokit. What was your solution to disable the factory spoiler?
The following users liked this post:
KG-Virus (03-11-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 03:42 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by but did you die
Looks pretty badass! I like it better than the factory aerokit. What was your solution to disable the factory spoiler?
Was there any update to this? Considering the stop sale on the AeroKit for 2022 which will require me to remove it from my build, I am looking at retrofitting the OEM AeroKit wing or the GT3's duckbill (...both are back ordered until Q1 or Q2 of next year per Suncoast). I am not a fan of the active aero at all.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:41 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wasabi4
If this is true and there is actual legal precedent then almost every company that sells aftermarket mods for cars could potentially be on the hook. For example, if a car with an aftermarket exhaust was in a crash due to excessive speed, could a lawyer argue that the extra horsepower gain from said exhaust contributed to the accident? If so then I would think the exhaust manufacturer would be a target with much deeper pockets than Joe Schmoe. The implications of this idea is scary. I would think it could extrapolate to even window tint (for the argument of reducing night time visibility contributing to a collision).

Sorry for going so OT but how realistic is Bluehighways' scenario? If realistic I'm surprised we're not signing waivers for release of liability when purchasing mods, tinting or tuning our cars, etc.
This is not directed at you per se, and it’s a high level response from years of analyzing legal risk here for clients w/r/t product liability (though to be fair this is a unique question), but it nevertheless is my quick unresearched gut reaction to the discussion on the risk here - could be different upon further digging on this issue.

This is really a low risk scenario for three reasons (1) likelihood that an insurer or individual would want to litigate this 1-2% allocation of liability (if even determinable without substantial experimentation costs) is very low given the money we are talking about here (insurers would rather write this off than spend $1m+ on litigation - especially if the result is precedent sets against them in the future - and let’s be realistic here, the life of a human is valued ~$1m under applicable law in most states), (2) most states don’t comparatively break down contributory liability (or even Product Liability) like this, instead usually the most at fault party (or more direct cause) is responsible and the fact that a small component defect may have caused an issue is not as important as if it absolutely is the cause, and (3) whenever you buy a part you are 9/10 times signing a contract (whether it is the terms of sale click through on the website or an order at a shop) and those most likely all have product liability disclaimers and ZERO functional warranties (not that a good lawyer couldn’t find an argument to be had but it’s a blocker in likely an already arduous litigation), so you are right to think about waivers/releases etc.

All that is to say is that, is there technically the risk of this type of market chilling litigation/precedent that could happen/be set? Of course, there always is. But is that risk actually realistic? Very likely no (barring something crazy like adding X part made ever car turn 90 degrees at 70 mph into a wall every time).

That said, this is an interesting thought experiment and would make a good law school exam question.

Last edited by Thescout13; 07-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.
M3Inline6 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:26 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 199 Posts

The spoiler kills rear end lift at speed, maybe even adds some downforce. If you look at the car's spoiler down profile, its a very nice wing (good for airplanes, good for auto drag reduction, not so good for high speed stability and handling). First spoiler was created when Richie Ginther complained about 1961 Ferrari 246 SP high speed handling; rear end lift was altering the balance and reducing rear tire grip, Ginther suggested the tack on spoiler. For a while, Ferrari said the thing was to keep exhaust fumes out of the cockpit, but that lie didn't last long. OTOH, a well tuned wing negates the need for the auto spoiler ... assuming it's engineered and installed properly. Is the intent to track the car, or do you just like the racy GT3 look?
Old 07-20-2021, 08:00 AM
xs2k
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT2

Anyone interested, this is the DMC wing...

https://dmc.ag/product/porsche-992-a...-wing-spoiler/
Old 07-26-2021, 08:56 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Keep an eye on this YouTube page:

I contacted the user and he stated he will make a video about how to remove the rear spoiler mechanism and the engine cover.
BIGWORM (07-26-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:50 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Yes, that's quite possible on the option menu (F7). There you setup whatever option you have and PIWIS will write all the modules pertaining that option.
@John Mclane or anyone else who has installed an aftermarket spoiler recently:

When programming the PIWIS, can you please confirm whether you can actually set different angles for the speed-sensing spoiler heights - and not just On/Off?

I am in the process of considering a GT3-like duckbill knock off, but would still like the spoiler to raise to a similar angle it would be when the stock spoiler raises to it's maximum height - probably about a third to half the height when the aftermarket spoiler is installed....

(I am sure there will be comments about Porsche aero testing/insurance/etc... but hoping to get a definitive answer to my inquiry)
Old 11-22-2021, 12:10 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT

When programming the PIWIS, can you please confirm whether you can actually set different angles for the speed-sensing spoiler heights - and not just On/Off?

I am in the process of considering a GT3-like duckbill knock off, but would still like the spoiler to raise to a similar angle it would be when the stock spoiler raises to it's maximum height - probably about a third to half the height when the aftermarket spoiler is installed....

(I am sure there will be comments about Porsche aero testing/insurance/etc... but hoping to get a definitive answer to my inquiry)
Any photos of this duckbill copy?
Old 11-22-2021, 12:24 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT

There are several settings for the spoiler up or down, based on speed. You can set the different speed up to 9 different values, if I’m not mistaken, either up or down.

As you mentioned, there are consequences from it. Personally, I did not fiddle with it, so between having the lines to code and it reflecting in a change there’s a difference. Not always we are successful with coding, some country based limitations may exist.

if you’re successful, let us know.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:37 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
There are several settings for the spoiler up or down, based on speed. You can set the different speed up to 9 different values, if I’m not mistaken, either up or down.

As you mentioned, there are consequences from it. Personally, I did not fiddle with it, so between having the lines to code and it reflecting in a change there’s a difference. Not always we are successful with coding, some country based limitations may exist.

if you’re successful, let us know.
Thank you - when you say "either up or down" do you mean that the 9 different values are like 10% raised, 20% raised, 30% raised, etc.
Or do you mean that at each speed it's either all the way UP or all the way down?

I will be speaking to a shop soon, but wanted to get some real world experience on here, to see what those independent shops/dealers may say

Quick Reply: Disabling the rear spoiler