Sponsored by:

Disabling the rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

PIWIS can code the spoiler as absent. It can also code multiple different heights fir different speeds.

Don't mess with the hardware alone, it will throw codes.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
G650 (03-04-2021), Schwarz992C4S (03-05-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:51 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Interesting. I could see American insurance NOT covering the cost of an aftermarket wing you didn't mention on your insurance policy. But I cant see them looking at a fixed wing to find a way out from covering the overall cost to fix the wrecked car to stock insurance policy levels. But I know nothing of how its done down south.

If the US voided full coverage over exterior mods, then I doubt we would see so many decked out Hondas and Subarus running around with every aftermarket gizmo you can think of added to it.
Insurance companies do deny claims on those cars if the adjuster spots certain mods. For example, most Subarus with aftermarket front mount intercoolers don’t have front bumper bars (the actual steel bumper under the cover). It’s a risk that many owners take knowingly or unknowingly.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-04-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,773 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
PIWIS can code the spoiler as absent. It can also code multiple different heights fir different speeds.

Don't mess with the hardware alone, it will throw codes.
This exactly.

And not only throw codes, but throw your car out of whack.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

If the US voided full coverage over exterior mods, then I doubt we would see so many decked out Hondas and Subarus running around with every aftermarket gizmo you can think of added to it.
Removing a critical safety function is not the same adding some mostly aesthetic items (still some risk, but not as bad).

The 911 spoiler is not just aesthetic and is important for stability.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheStanman:
detansinn (03-05-2021), Glerald (11-24-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 09:48 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Removing a critical safety function is not the same adding some mostly aesthetic items (still some risk, but not as bad).

To be fair to the OP, he is adding an aftermarket wing...which most likely is bigger than our motorized spoilers and provide more downforce, hence, maybe more stability.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
To be fair to the OP, he is adding an aftermarket wing...which most likely is bigger than our motorized spoilers and provide more downforce, hence, maybe more stability.
that argument wasn’t about the OP, it was about the other dude wanting to completely disable his stock active spoiler on purpose
Tanqueray86 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:36 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddsektor
that argument wasn’t about the OP, it was about the other dude wanting to completely disable his stock active spoiler on purpose
Disabling the spoiler without a replacement wing is a bad idea as it comes. Beyond dangerous, it will throw a lot of errors.

When I mentioned earlier that you can disable it with PIWIS, that doesn't mean that's simple. Seeing first hand how it works, several modules are interconnected. I would not be surprised that the PSM takes or gives inputs to the spoiler. That alone opens a wide margin for errors to be thrown. So, while possible, coding with PIWIS is likely to be complicated . In al likelihood feasible but I would take it to someone that knows what they're doing (not always the dealer, actually seldom).
Tanqueray86 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman

That all might be true. But I had a Subaru STI that had a big ol massive wing that I removed for the WRX version. I hit a curb avoiding a red light runner and my insurance rep didnt bat an eye at the smaller wing. I mean no offense to you or anyone else in here about this. But I think you guys are taking this to extremes. If you disable your wing and you wreck. No one is going to even know the wing didnt work. Unless it looks damaged, they will most likey assume its working fine and fix what they see wrong.
rouxeny (11-23-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
Except bigger does not mean better.

As proper downforce requires balance. Meaning bigger wing the back requires more downforce in the front. Otherwise, you get less stability.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (03-05-2021), detansinn (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:03 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

OP: I think there's been plenty of feedback and side discussion. Maybe some pics of your car with the new spoiler will clear up concerns and questions! We're all interested in seeing your car!
Old 03-05-2021, 04:36 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Disabling the spoiler without a replacement wing is a bad idea as it comes. Beyond dangerous, it will throw a lot of errors.

When I mentioned earlier that you can disable it with PIWIS, that doesn't mean that's simple. Seeing first hand how it works, several modules are interconnected. I would not be surprised that the PSM takes or gives inputs to the spoiler. That alone opens a wide margin for errors to be thrown. So, while possible, coding with PIWIS is likely to be complicated . In al likelihood feasible but I would take it to someone that knows what they're doing (not always the dealer, actually seldom).
Perhaps there is a setting that says "Aerokit wing Installed"?

I can't see why it would be overly complicated as there is already an OEM fixed wing option (Aerokit) and there are a number of aftermarket companies offering replacements such as TechArt and a few asian knock-offs.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

That all might be true. But I had a Subaru STI that had a big ol massive wing that I removed for the WRX version. I hit a curb avoiding a red light runner and my insurance rep didnt bat an eye at the smaller wing. I mean no offense to you or anyone else in here about this. But I think you guys are taking this to extremes. If you disable your wing and you wreck. No one is going to even know the wing didnt work. Unless it looks damaged, they will most likey assume its working fine and fix what they see wrong.
I'm not so sure; in the example you quote you replaced one Subaru part with another Subaru part and anyway that car was designed to be used without any wings at all. The 992 on the other hand is only sold with rear downforce, either active or passive like on a GT3 or Aerokit. What you say about how an assessor would handle a claim may be true but we've all heard or come across cases when small changes can be used as grounds for rejecting a claim, cars these days have all that stuff logged as well. As always it's caveat emptor, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:52 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Except bigger does not mean better.

As proper downforce requires balance. Meaning bigger wing the back requires more downforce in the front. Otherwise, you get less stability.
Tell that to the GT3 Touring. The regular GT3 got the big wing with big downforce while the touring got the small spoiler with a lot less downforce. Same front bumper and aero everywhere else.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
Perhaps there is a setting that says "Aerokit wing Installed"?

I can't see why it would be overly complicated as there is already an OEM fixed wing option (Aerokit) and there are a number of aftermarket companies offering replacements such as TechArt and a few asian knock-offs.
Yes, that's quite possible on the option menu (F7). There you setup whatever option you have and PIWIS will write all the modules pertaining that option.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by but did you die
Tell that to the GT3 Touring. The regular GT3 got the big wing with big downforce while the touring got the small spoiler with a lot less downforce. Same front bumper and aero everywhere else.
Incorrect.

The front aero is changed, as well as its design.

Evo goes into further detail, but here's the punchline:

The removal of the fixed rear wing and relying on the retractable wing of the regular 911 Carrera and the small, additional Gurney flap on the trailing edge of the engine cover, means the car’s aero is changed significantly. It has resulted in a shorter front splitter being fitted and beneath the engine and behind the rear bumper there is a bespoke rear diffuser, although this differs compared to the one fitted to the 911 R.
Read it all here.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Carsten Doil (03-06-2021), detansinn (03-05-2021), Jime992 (04-29-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Disabling the rear spoiler