Sponsored by:

Revving past rev limiter at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 04:43 AM
Patrick888
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You can do whatever you want. Not my car, i dgaf.

Ohhhh because its a quintessential porsche...cool. typical new 911 forum comment. Heres a hint, just about every modern car has a neutral rev limiter set far below the loaded limiter.
No it doesn't lol. You can bounce *many* modern supercars and cars off the rev limiter (the red line). This is for emissions regulation and nothing else. Definitely not "to protect the engine". Recently drove a ferrari F8 tributo spyder and a portofino back-to-back. Both let you rev to red line no problem.

Last edited by Patrick888; 06-21-2023 at 04:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justabout (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:24 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick888
No it doesn't lol. You can bounce *many* modern supercars and cars off the rev limiter (the red line). This is for emissions regulation and nothing else. Definitely not "to protect the engine". Recently drove a ferrari F8 tributo spyder and a portofino back-to-back. Both let you rev to red line no problem.
Agreed. It has nothing to do with “protecting the engine”. Putting a lower rev limiter when the car is stationary as some manufacturers do is a rather recent trend. Electronic rev limiters have exited for quite some time, if it were about engine protection, sationary rev limiters would have implemented a long time ago. IMO it is all about meeting noise and/or emissions regulations.

BTW, when you quickly pull on both paddles when the car is moving, the PDK goes in neutral and soft limiter is not activated, which allows free reving the engine to redline. I am curious if it the same on MT, where either putting the car in neutral or pressing the clutch while the car in motion would allow free reving the engine without the soft limiter.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-21-2023 at 08:28 AM.
Patrick888 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 10:22 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

For those who like to show off your pavement-princess in the parking lot, M-Tuner has a custom feature we can add to your tune that allows for the soft limiter to be removed in Neutral. Meaning you can put the car in "N" and rev it all the way up to redline. (for PDK2 cars)
There is no cost to add that feature. If you do it in "Sport" mode, the pops and burbles will be present as well.

-Charles@M
AlterZgo (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:23 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Agreed. It has nothing to do with “protecting the engine”. Putting a lower rev limiter when the car is stationary as some manufacturers do is a rather recent trend. Electronic rev limiters have exited for quite some time, if it were about engine protection, sationary rev limiters would have implemented a long time ago. IMO it is all about meeting noise and/or emissions regulations.

BTW, when you quickly pull on both paddles when the car is moving, the PDK goes in neutral and soft limiter is not activated, which allows free reving the engine to redline. I am curious if it the same on MT, where either putting the car in neutral or pressing the clutch while the car in motion would allow free reving the engine without the soft limiter.
Yes, same in a manual. Otherwise you'd be severely limited in downshifting.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:35 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
There is a reason rev limiters exist.....and why manual 992's are limited to 3500rpm in neutral.
I'll have to try this again in my GTS, but I swear when I tested it revved beyond 3500.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:17 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by unskirted
I'll have to try this again in my GTS, but I swear when I tested it revved beyond 3500.
Mine will too but not when I'm at a stop, at least that's as I've experienced. Not sure exactly what the parameters are but I know when I'm driving briskly and downshift it will rev past 3500 rpm. Need to try again I guess.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:38 PM
992 911 GTS

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiems
So how does launch control work in the manual? you floor it with the clutch in, it revs to 3500, and you drop the clutch? Is that what I'm hearing here?
Yes. Clutch in, max revs, clutch out quickly with gas at max
Old 06-22-2023, 10:57 PM
teknikk7
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Why?

And why do I always have to do things that are "good ideas"?

Buying a 992 wasn't a good idea either. I could've dropped that money into another blended mutual fund, I guess.....

Welcome to the 992 forum. A bunch of warranty fearing old guys...lol. Fear mongering at it's finest. The day I start taking a car serious, or worrying about a car is going to be a sad day. Enjoy it! Rev away! I do it all the time haha
AlterZgo (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:09 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by 992 911 GTS
Yes. Clutch in, max revs, clutch out quickly with gas at max
I don't think there is any launch control in the manual.... unless you are just describing how to launch any manual car and calling it launch control in a tounge in cheek way.

Originally Posted by teknikk7
Welcome to the 992 forum. A bunch of warranty fearing old guys...lol. Fear mongering at it's finest. The day I start taking a car serious, or worrying about a car is going to be a sad day. Enjoy it! Rev away! I do it all the time haha
Yeah, all the fear mongers here who freak out over having fun with these cars, I wonder why they bother reading these threads anyway. I have my M Engineering tune set to raise the stationary rev limiter to 7000 RPMs and yeah, I rev it like a high school teen to hear the engine and exhaust. What's wrong with that? Why do people spend $5K... $10K on exhaust mods to make their cars louder if not to hear them and, ostensibly, so others can hear them as well? Why are so many of us intoxicated with the GT3s screaming to 9K RPM? Somehow that's acceptable but wanting to rev higher than 3500 RPM when stationary is embarrassing and childish? LMFAO.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Drew46 (06-23-2023), surquhar (06-23-2023), teknikk7 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:49 PM
992 911 GTS

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I don't think there is any launch control in the manual.... unless you are just describing how to launch any manual car and calling it launch control in a tounge in cheek way.

Yeah, all the fear mongers here who freak out over having fun with these cars, I wonder why they bother reading these threads anyway. I have my M Engineering tune set to raise the stationary rev limiter to 7000 RPMs and yeah, I rev it like a high school teen to hear the engine and exhaust. What's wrong with that? Why do people spend $5K... $10K on exhaust mods to make their cars louder if not to hear them and, ostensibly, so others can hear them as well? Why are so many of us intoxicated with the GT3s screaming to 9K RPM? Somehow that's acceptable but wanting to rev higher than 3500 RPM when stationary is embarrassing and childish? LMFAO.
the European manual of the car describes a manual launch control procedure. But yes it’s basically the same thing as any other manual launch

Quick Reply: Revving past rev limiter at idle?