Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Frunk - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 10:45 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Call roadside, it's included in the price of the car. They'll be able to jump start it, according to the warranty manual.
I would ask how much, just because I have trust issues.
Re: “just because I have trust issues”

That made me laugh. Sounds like something my wife might say.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:56 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Related question: If one’s car is in the garage, frunk first, and you can’t re-charge or provide power to the electronics to put the PDK transmission into neutral....how does one have the car towed? Can the car be safely lifted from the rear and pulled on to a flatbed?
The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 09:19 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Related question: If one’s car is in the garage, frunk first, and you can’t re-charge or provide power to the electronics to put the PDK transmission into neutral....how does one have the car towed? Can the car be safely lifted from the rear and pulled on to a flatbed?
Great question. Yikes!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Let us know how this goes. I have had a 991 4s pulled onto a flatbed, but since you have this battery problem are you going to be able to put it in neutral?? May have to set all 4 wheels on dollys. Also, the tow hook is in the frunk and there isn't a very good place to tow from without it.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Let us know how this goes. I have had a 991 4s pulled onto a flatbed, but since you have this battery problem are you going to be able to put it in neutral?? May have to set all 4 wheels on dollys. Also, the tow hook is in the frunk and there isn't a very good place to tow from without it.
Well, not my problem...just thinking about what could be? I can’t believe that this hasn’t happened to a Porsche owner, before?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My car is a manual and easy to put in neutral and roll. Disabling the electric parking brake is another issue! They are picking up later in week so I'll see what happens.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I had this happen on the wife's 2020 Macan S. Came down after two days of non use and the battery was toast. New AGM with barely 1k miles or so on the clock. The dealer is 400 miles away and electrical issues such as battery are not covered so time to think outside the box.

I checked the battery voltage it was at just under 6 volts, no point at that stage to do a load test it barely had any life. No lights, no trunk no nothing. The starter didn't turn, interior lights were inop, I tried shorting the battery across the terminals to get any reboot sign...nada. So I plugged in my CTEK.

After THREE days it managed to recharge the battery enough to get lights and manually (not via the door button) open the trunk. And finally I managed to crank it and start. This on a brand new Varta AGM battery. No idea what happened, why it discharged,

I programmed the mirrors as I told TOWMBO not to lock the car in our garage as it would drain the battery and the car was unlocked as the mirrors were not retracted. Something sucked the battery dry. To this day it hasn't happened again but anytime the car isn't driven for more than 2 days it's on the CTEK.

siberian
Old 05-20-2021, 11:44 AM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
I had this happen on the wife's 2020 Macan S. Came down after two days of non use and the battery was toast. New AGM with barely 1k miles or so on the clock. The dealer is 400 miles away and electrical issues such as battery are not covered so time to think outside the box.

I checked the battery voltage it was at just under 6 volts, no point at that stage to do a load test it barely had any life. No lights, no trunk no nothing. The starter didn't turn, interior lights were inop, I tried shorting the battery across the terminals to get any reboot sign...nada. So I plugged in my CTEK.

After THREE days it managed to recharge the battery enough to get lights and manually (not via the door button) open the trunk. And finally I managed to crank it and start. This on a brand new Varta AGM battery. No idea what happened, why it discharged,

I programmed the mirrors as I told TOWMBO not to lock the car in our garage as it would drain the battery and the car was unlocked as the mirrors were not retracted. Something sucked the battery dry. To this day it hasn't happened again but anytime the car isn't driven for more than 2 days it's on the CTEK.

siberian
I installed a PowerPoint under my front bumper direct to the battery. Fused of course. Now I can leave my car on the battery tender without running the cable through the door. If the battery goes dead I can apply 12volts and open my car.
The following users liked this post:
BOPE (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:49 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pics please...

siberian
Old 05-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

This Tuck's up inside the bumper completely out of sight when not used.
Originally Posted by siberian
Pics please...

siberian
Old 05-20-2021, 12:32 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice! But assuming your car is in your garage why not just leave the frunk open to access the battery terminals? If it's for an extended period, I normally get a clean sheet to cover and protect everything

siberian
Old 05-20-2021, 12:42 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Where I store my car is very small. so it's not convenient to close my frunk every time I want to take my car out. Also If I'm on a trip and leave the car parked for too long it's no problem.

Last edited by Porsche0911; 05-20-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:47 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Default Dead battery

I did a detailed post with pictures. I don't see how to put a link here so you can search my posts.

Not sure how to add a link so you can search this to see a detailed description with photos.
Go Back Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums >DIYs, "How To" & Marketplace Archive >991 DIY
Reload this Page >

Dead battery

Last edited by Porsche0911; 05-20-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: no link
Old 05-20-2021, 12:52 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Easiest is to copy the URL of the page you're referencing and then paste it into your post.

Thanx for clarifying

siberian
Old 05-21-2021, 04:40 AM
Tkim
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Most tow trucks have these jacks to reposition the vehicle.
Also used these in autobody repair shop when car is immobile.
https://www.finditparts.com/products...iABEgJyIfD_BwE

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Frunk - Help!