Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dead battery

My 991 mod

If you have or know someone with a 997 or 991 you may have heard a horror story of the battery dying after only a few days parked. This may also be a concern for later model Cayenne, Macan's etc. This is due to the amount of power these cars consume while parked. Normally this isn't a problem for a couple of weeks, but as the battery gets older, or if someone improperly adds a load which is a constant draw it becomes a problem.

The reason this is a problem is because if your car is locked there is only one way to boost the car battery and start get into your car. On the 911's you need to remove the passenger side front wheel remove or loosen the fender liner so you can reach in and pull the frunk release cable.

Not wanting to experience this event I came up with a 15min mod that cost $25.00 Cnd.

I bought a weather tight 10' #12AWG power-point cable from Amazon for $21.99

YCIND 3/8" Ring Eeyelet Terminal to Female Cigarette Lighter Socket Battery Boost Cable Heavy-Duty 30A Fuse 12V 24V 12AWG Cord 10Ft (CAE2F-B3)

I found a square opening on the bottom of my front bumper about 4” X 4” on each side, since I have rad grills installed, I though this would be the best access to the power-point.

The first thing you need to do is remove the trim in the frunk area. The battery cover is removed see owners manual and then the passengers side trim. It is held in place with three tabs marked in blue that you pull towards the centre of the car.

Two tabs marked in orange that pull up. And the red clip that you pull the trim towards the windshield. Now you can see a space between the front bumper and the car where you can pull the wire through.

I then removed the headlight (
) also in owners manual, and routed the wire through the hole marked by the green arrow. To fit the fuse holder you have to slide the clip back.

you don't have to remove the clip. Just slide it back to be able to get the fuse holder through.

I then routed the cable around my cabin filter to the battery securing it with Ty-wraps.

Now I just need to connect the correct wires to the battery bolts Red to positive.

pink arrows point to fuse holder and ty-wrap location

I secured the fuse holder near the battery where it is accessible marked by pink arrows.
I never included pictures of the power-point end as it's winter here and I am waiting until spring when I put the car up on the Quick Jack. This mod does not affect the removal of the front bumper.

Now I have not compromised the security of the car in any way and if my battery dies I merely connect a battery tender or booster battery and I can use my fob to open the hood and doors.

I used a gear wrap ty to secure the Power-Point so it is easy to remove for access or bumper removal

The other advantage is I can now plug in my car for storage without running wires through the door and then closing it on them.

It is important that you get a fused cable to ensure the battery is protected should the cable become damaged in an accident etc.

If you have any questions contact me a porsche0911@gmail.com and I would be glad to answer them or provide more detailed information as soon as I can.

Last edited by Porsche0911; 02-11-2020 at 05:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche0911:
edsonreds (05-19-2020), GSBruce (08-26-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche0911
My 991 mod

If you have or know someone with a 997 or 991 you may have heard a horror story of the battery dying after only a few days parked. This may also be a concern for later model Cayenne, Macan's etc. This is due to the amount of power these cars consume while parked. Normally this isn't a problem for a couple of weeks, but as the battery gets older, or if someone improperly adds a load which is a constant draw it becomes a problem.

The reason this is a problem is because if your car is locked there is only one way to boost the car battery and start get into your car. On the 911's you need to remove the passenger side front wheel remove or loosen the fender liner so you can reach in and pull the frunk release cable.

Not wanting to experience this event I came up with a 15min mod that cost $25.00 Cnd.

I bought a weather tight 10' #12AWG power-point cable from Amazon for $21.99

YCIND 3/8" Ring Eeyelet Terminal to Female Cigarette Lighter Socket Battery Boost Cable Heavy-Duty 30A Fuse 12V 24V 12AWG Cord 10Ft (CAE2F-B3)

I found a square opening on the bottom of my front bumper about 4” X 4” on each side, since I have rad grills installed, I though this would be the best access to the power-point.

The first thing you need to do is remove the trim in the frunk area. The battery cover is removed see owners manual and then the passengers side trim. It is held in place with three tabs marked in blue that you pull towards the centre of the car.

Two tabs marked in orange that pull up. And the red clip that you pull the trim towards the windshield. Now you can see a space between the front bumper and the car where you can pull the wire through.

I then removed the headlight ( https://youtu.be/CKU0s2E4PvE) also in owners manual, and routed the wire through the hole marked by the green arrow. To fit the fuse holder you have to slide the clip back.

you don't have to remove the clip. Just slide it back to be able to get the fuse holder through.

I then routed the cable around my cabin filter to the battery securing it with Ty-wraps.

Now I just need to connect the correct wires to the battery bolts Red to positive.

pink arrows point to fuse holder and ty-wrap location

I secured the fuse holder near the battery where it is accessible marked by pink arrows.
I never included pictures of the power-point end as it's winter here and I am waiting until spring when I put the car up on the Quick Jack. This mod does not affect the removal of the front bumper.

Now I have not compromised the security of the car in any way and if my battery dies I merely connect a battery tender or booster battery and I can use my fob to open the hood and doors.

I used a gear wrap ty to secure the Power-Point so it is easy to remove for access or bumper removal

The other advantage is I can now plug in my car for storage without running wires through the door and then closing it on them.

It is important that you get a fused cable to ensure the battery is protected should the cable become damaged in an accident etc.

If you have any questions contact me a porsche0911@gmail.com and I would be glad to answer them or provide more detailed information as soon as I can.
nice job. Pretty detailed as a long term solution if the car sits for long time periods.

Quick Reply: Dead battery