Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Frunk - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

You mean like the X3 ESP C40 mandated oil even for us who don't have any GPF's? Yes, there are other components that are not in the 991's but are present in the 992s. And those requiring XC3 ESP C40 oil are........................................? No one seems to know but we must use C40 compliant oils; oh but I digress....

So to recap in case your battery is sleeping -> no lights, engine don't turn over etc:

1) Preferably measure voltage of battery (NOCO does provide their latest booster with a built-in voltmeter; very handy); though I'm sure all of us have a voltmeter of some sort handy

2) If below 10 or 11 volts at rest, connect up the XP-10 for a couple of minutes and check if you now have lights when you disconnect to XP-10

a) If you do, then re-attach the XP-10 and fire it up disconnecting it when the engines comes to life
b) If you don't, then leave it connected a while longer
c) If you still don't...

Is there a particular switch to set on the XP-10 to go onto re-AWAKEN mode rather than START MODE?

As an aside, on a totally discharged AGM battery (6v) 2020 Macan S, it took a CTEK maintainer 3 days to get it back to life. No idea why or what caused that.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-11-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:28 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
So to recap in case your battery is sleeping -> no lights, engine don't turn over etc:

2) If below 10 or 11 volts at rest, connect up the XP-10 for a couple of minutes and check if you now have lights when you disconnect to XP-10

a) If you do, then re-attach the XP-10 and fire it up disconnecting it when the engines comes to life
b) If you don't, then leave it connected a while longer
c) If you still don't...

Is there a particular switch to set on the XP-10 to go onto re-AWAKEN mode rather than START MODE?

As an aside, on a totally discharged AGM battery (6v) 2020 Macan S, it took a CTEK maintainer 3 days to get it back to life. No idea why or what caused that.

siberian
Let me clarify something... The Porsche battery should come out of PROTECTION/SLEEP Mode immediately if hit with a roughly 12v source and adequate current... For example a Mini Jump Starter, another 12v Motorcycle or Car battery, or a Charger that has the decently powerful BMS Reset. Once the Battery sees a 12v source to it it should awaken the Battery and then the battery will show voltage. Yes it is probably over discharged at this point, but it should still have about 11v when it awakens. Again, this should only take a second to awaken it. So in fact IF you have the Harness for the XP-10 Micro Start is should be as simple as sliding the XP-10 on the Harness and then off again over the course of a few seconds, you so not leave it attached actually, you're basically just zapping the battery for a second with a decent 12v source. But keep in mind that our Antigravity XP-10 has live voltage at the Jump STart connector iteself. so when used with this harness you havevoltage directly to the battery. But IF you had to use the Clamps of the MICRO-STARt XP-10... then you have to press the BOOST BUTTON since our Clamps have a Protection system built into them and you have to bypass it to make the clamps live... and you do that by pressing the BOOST BUTTON on the XP-10.

Cody was talking about having the Harness kit and asking how to do it with that... and as I said the Harness kit plugs directly into the XP-10s port which is live... so there is NO protections like if you plug in the Clamps for the XP-10. I don't know how the NOCO operates... I assume it also has some form of bypass button. But NOCO does not have the Harness kit like we make so you would have to do it with clamps... but then if your locked out of your frunk you have to use the Fuse box method to try to get the frunk open. With the XP10 you just plug into the Harness and you have plenty of power to get the Frunk buttons to trigger.

I hope you guys are understanding what I'm saying. It is a bit hard to explain without images.

Last edited by Antigravity; 03-11-2022 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-31-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:36 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

You have images?

siberian
Old 03-13-2022, 01:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
You have images?

siberian
Will try to get some pics for better understanding by Mon-Tues...
Old 03-31-2022, 02:18 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t

Here my pigtail to attach a NOCO charger with the the frunk closed

I have a question. I do have a similar Ctek quick connect sertup except I use the one with the battery indicators on the plug itself. When I charge my battery all is fine, Ctek says its fully charge within a few hours and all green. However, the moment I disconnect the charger the battery status indicator blinks yellow even though the battery was just fully charged. I connected the quick connect to the + and the negative to a ground post instead the negative battery terminal, but that should not cause anything ?,,,or does the battery shut down and the negative terminal connection can't see any charge anymore as its not directly wired to the battery?
Old 03-31-2022, 06:34 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I have a question. I do have a similar Ctek quick connect sertup except I use the one with the battery indicators on the plug itself. When I charge my battery all is fine, Ctek says its fully charge within a few hours and all green. However, the moment I disconnect the charger the battery status indicator blinks yellow even though the battery was just fully charged. I connected the quick connect to the + and the negative to a ground post instead the negative battery terminal, but that should not cause anything ?,,,or does the battery shut down and the negative terminal connection can't see any charge anymore as its not directly wired to the battery?
Your are fine - note the Ctek has the brains in the charger brick. which communicates with the battery. The indicator on just the dongle is somewhat useless (from a voltage reader standpoint) without the brains.

You will also notice after a long drive when you hook up your charger, it will start up from yellow and take awhile to get to green, even though you know your are completely charged from your drive. It is going through the cycles thus will not show instantly green when first plugged in as well.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:43 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Your are fine - note the Ctek has the brains in the charger brick. which communicates with the battery. The indicator on just the dongle is somewhat useless (from a voltage reader standpoint) without the brains.

You will also notice after a long drive when you hook up your charger, it will start up from yellow and take awhile to get to green, even though you know your are completely charged from your drive. It is going through the cycles thus will not show instantly green when first plugged in as well.
Thanks! Appreciate the help!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:04 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Just trying to read and follow this thread makes me glad I do not have a lithium ion battery.
verstraete (02-09-2023)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:39 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 222 Posts

Holy crap. Its a good thing this car is pretty.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:03 PM
HK911X
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjchernis
My car is a manual and easy to put in neutral and roll. Disabling the electric parking brake is another issue! They are picking up later in week so I'll see what happens.
Would you mind telling us how they solved it at the end?
Old 07-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Is this a lithium ion battery?

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Just trying to read and follow this thread makes me glad I do not have a lithium ion battery.
My battery.... 2022 TARGA 4 GTS with RAS.

ID my battery PLEASE.
vg247 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 09:44 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

That's a lithium battery per the blue portion of the label
vg247 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:26 PM
Yojeffo