Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Design Package concern...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Default Sports Design Package concern...

With this option, Porsche states, “SportDesign Package reduces approach and departure angles”. I have two questions: (1) If one is already getting the PASM option, does the addition of the sports design package reduce the approach and departure angles even further (more than with the PASM 10mm lowering, by itself); and (2) Have any owners with both options noted any issues with clearing speed bumps or curbs getting into your driveway??

PS - I will be getting the front axle lift, but that will only provide more clearance to the front lip. How about the rear?

Thx
Old 02-09-2021, 12:02 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
With this option, Porsche states, “SportDesign Package reduces approach and departure angles”. I have two questions: (1) If one is already getting the PASM option, does the addition of the sports design package reduce the approach and departure angles even further (more than with the PASM 10mm lowering, by itself); and (2) Have any owners with both options noted any issues with clearing speed bumps or curbs getting into your driveway??

PS - I will be getting the front axle lift, but that will only provide more clearance to the front lip. How about the rear?

Thx
I have sport design and it clears curb stoppers. With FAL, you wont hit anything. Front or back. And the back isn't an issue at all.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thx. I guess my question is (since Porsche doesn’t seem to explain)....With the PASM option, Porsche states that the approach and departure angles are reduced. I assume because of the 10 mm lowered suspension. Now, if you also add the sports design package, is the approach and departure angles reduced even further?
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Not to worry, particularly with FAL. In any case the car WILL eventually seek out and find a speed bump or a driveway on which to scrape. It'll sound bad and and you'll cringe. If you do this often enough, as in several times a day, after a few years, you'll want to replace the spoiler lip. This will set you back a bit under $200. So start saving now!
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Brainofjjj (02-11-2021), G650 (02-10-2021), Lee8084 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 12:36 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Not to worry, particularly with FAL. In any case the car WILL eventually seek out and find a speed bump or a driveway on which to scrape. It'll sound bad and and you'll cringe. If you do this often enough, as in several times a day, after a few years, you'll want to replace the spoiler lip. This will set you back a bit under $200. So start saving now!

LOL. That brings up another question...is the front spoiler lip the same (as with the PASM), as with what comes with the sports design package? That is, are they interchangeable? I know the front facia lip that comes with the sports design is painted in the external color of the car. What I don’t know is it replaceable and interchangeable with these inexpensive front lips?
Old 02-09-2021, 12:36 PM
m1kegibson
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thx. I guess my question is (since Porsche doesn’t seem to explain)....With the PASM option, Porsche states that the approach and departure angles are reduced. I assume because of the 10 mm lowered suspension. Now, if you also add the sports design package, is the approach and departure angles reduced even further?
The lower lip of the SD Front spoiler is further forward on the car than the standard spoiler, if that makes sense? As a consequence, by the time the front wheels hit a steep slope the lower edge might already have grounded; same trigonometry applies when going down a steep slope and approaching flat surface. I have SD front end and have never had an issue, even over some aggressive speed bumps. That said, I do not have the -10mm option. However, as already stated, FAL will eliminate any issues you might encounter with the combination of SD and -10mm. The SD rear end is not an issue and is simply an back end with alternative number plate placement; I don't have SD rear end.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:58 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by m1kegibson
The lower lip of the SD Front spoiler is further forward on the car than the standard spoiler, if that makes sense? As a consequence, by the time the front wheels hit a steep slope the lower edge might already have grounded; same trigonometry applies when going down a steep slope and approaching flat surface. I have SD front end and have never had an issue, even over some aggressive speed bumps. That said, I do not have the -10mm option. However, as already stated, FAL will eliminate any issues you might encounter with the combination of SD and -10mm. The SD rear end is not an issue and is simply an back end with alternative number plate placement; I don't have SD rear end.

Thx.

I just noticed that with the “Sports Design option”, PASM is included....so, I have to believe that the main component of the “approach and departure angle reduction” of the sports design package, is due to the PASM, that includes both the 10 mm lowering, but also, an “extended front spoiler lip”. So, I guess the conclusion I am arriving at are: Since I already selected the PASM option, any clearance issues with the Sports Design are primarily due to the PASM, and not due to bumper modifications.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Never mind...the PASM (10 mm lowering and extended front lip) is included in the “Sports Package”, not the Sports Design package. But I think my conclusion remains the same...with the PASM selected, the reduced approach and departure angles are (primarily) associated with the addition of the PASM, and maybe to a lesser degree, with the bumper changes associated with ther sports design package.

This make sense to folks?
Old 02-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Never mind...the PASM (10 mm lowering and extended front lip) is included in the “Sports Package”, not the Sports Design package. But I think my conclusion remains the same...with the PASM selected, the reduced approach and departure angles are (primarily) associated with the addition of the PASM, and maybe to a lesser degree, with the bumper changes associated with ther sports design package.

This make sense to folks?
PASM is standard...are you talking about SPASM?

Anyways: Whatever you get, it’ll be drive-able on public roads, especially w/ FAL. Spec what you like and don’t sweat it.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 01:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
PASM is standard...are you talking about SPASM?

Anyways: Whatever you get, it’ll be drive-able on public roads, especially w/ FAL. Spec what you like and don’t sweat it.

yea, I’m prob over thinking this....thx to everybody’s input.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

PASM is included with the “Sports Package” option. For $5.4 K you get: (1) Sports exhaust system, (2) Chrono and (3) PASM with the 10 mm lowering, and extended front lip. I assume that if I unselect this option, the car will sit 10 mm higher, and won’t have the extended front lip?
Old 02-09-2021, 02:09 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

PASM is included with the “Sports Package” option. For $5.4 K you get: (1) Sports exhaust system, (2) Chrono and (3) PASM with the 10 mm lowering, and extended front lip. I assume that if I unselect this option, the car will sit 10 mm higher, and won’t have the extended front lip?
correct.
PASM is supposed to be standard on all 992s. But if you pick sports package - you'll get the sports PASM (SPASM) which is 10mm lower

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1183...fferences.html
Old 02-09-2021, 03:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

This thread makes my head hurt.

Repeat after me please.

Sport PASM (or SPASM in Rennlist speak) does not reduce the approach angle (either from the front or the rear) to such an extent it should be of any concern to an owner unless said owner lives surrounded by Filbert Streets with speed bumps and dips that make the Grand Canyon look like a hole in the ground.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-09-2021 at 03:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (02-09-2021), G650 (02-10-2021), Marantz2270 (02-09-2021), megacondenser (02-10-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 05:03 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This thread makes my head hurt.

Repeat after me please.

Sport PASM (or SPASM in Rennlist speak) does not reduce the approach angle (either from the front or the rear) to such an extent it should be of any concern to an owner unless said owner lives surrounded by Filbert Streets with speed bumps and dips that make the Grand Canyon look like a hole in the ground.

Good to know.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Given previous comments - In the unlikely event that one does severely scape, or do damage to the lip on the front of the Sports Design Package, is that a lip that is easily replaced...or, is the lip part an integral part of facia...so, replacing the lip piece means replacing the entire front facia? If so,

Quick Reply: Sports Design Package concern...