Sponsored by:

Surprise! GPS tracker in my new 2021 992 S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Wow! I will be checking mine today. I also removed my GPS dash camera in favor of one without GPS. No one needs to know where I go or how fast I go.
GPS receivers do not transmit anything by themselves. The Kahu devices work by using the cellular system to forward the data to the company's "cloud" servers. So unless your dash cam has a SIM card -- in which case it will require a monthly or annual fee to be paid to somebody -- it has no way to rat you out to anyone else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
LC200 (01-04-2021), Viper pilot (07-28-2022)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sweylo
I just checked my battery compartment (vehicle also purchased in MD) and thankfully didn't see this tracking device. So not all of our local dealers are making use of it.
what makes you think they always put it in the battery compartment?
The following 2 users liked this post by mchrono:
LC200 (01-04-2021), Russian Mafia (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Read that story and it is exactly what I mentioned above. What would Porsche do warranty wise if this **** install caused an issue?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:11 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
GPS receivers do not transmit anything by themselves. The Kahu devices work by using the cellular system to forward the data to the company's "cloud" servers. So unless your dash cam has a SIM card -- in which case it will require a monthly or annual fee to be paid to somebody -- it has no way to rat you out to anyone else.
I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm talking about why I removed my GPS dash camera. That recorded where I was and at what speed I was traveling. And it actually did have cloud recording. I've heard of cops taking the cameras as evidence and using the video against people. Not that I drive like an ******* or race people. But if I did one day; and got caught... the less data a cop has to use against me or give to the DA, the better. On the flip side, if a cop says I was doing 100 when I was really doing 85, I cant prove that I wasn't doing 100 anymore.

Regarding the GPS tracker the OP found in his car. I would remove period. That's some sneaky *** BS if you ask me.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:15 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm talking about why I removed my GPS dash camera. That recorded where I was and at what speed I was traveling. And it actually did have cloud recording. I've heard of cops taking the cameras as evidence and using the video against people. Not that I drive like an ******* or race people. But if I did one day; and got caught... the less data a cop has to use against me or give to the DA, the better. On the flip side, if a cop says I was doing 100 when I was really doing 85, I cant prove that I wasn't doing 100 anymore.

Regarding the GPS tracker the OP found in his car. I would remove period. That's some sneaky *** BS if you ask me.
The ECM that records operating parameters is one of the first things the cops go after in trying to piece together what happened in an accident. Some states and provinces require a search warrant, others don’t. So, big brother already has access to much more information than you know. Just ask Julian Assange. Big blowup over that and I have no doubt the governments behaviour didn’t skip a beat through all that. So following our 911s around is small potatoes. Wouldn’t want a transmitter in my car I hadn’t put there myself though and am not interested in a LoJack either. If someone steals my car, let them export it to China and my insurance company can replace it.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:57 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I took Atlanta delivery (2 years ago this month) on my 991.2, so the car never went to the dealer, so unless PNA installed such a device at the POE, mine shouldn't have one.

And no, I don't want my insurance company discounts for tracking me, I'm effing tired of being a commodity for these data suckers.

I'll still check for a tracker nonetheless.
The following 2 users liked this post by BSO:
BIGWORM (01-05-2021), HooosierDaddy (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Made me check mine

Unless it’s buried deep inside the car I don’t think I have one, other than the app that is...
Old 06-23-2021, 09:43 AM
lostcolorado
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info. Something to check into when I pick up my car.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:02 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

So, leaving the car in the garage and not driving may be a good thing, after all? 😂 😱
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Wow! I will be checking mine today. I also removed my GPS dash camera in favor of one without GPS. No one needs to know where I go or how fast I go.

EDIT:
No tracker in mine.
This is good to know since I'm in SoCal as well. I will double check once my car arrives though.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:13 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

We're not all that bad. The only time we'd take a vehicle for evidence (..and use whatever we find to further the case) is if the vehicle is used in the commission of a crime. Simply being cited for speeding, etc. wouldn't prompt us to hold the car for evidence.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:54 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 101 Posts

Had to pay for Stargard on my GT3 when I purchased from Porsche San Diego. I don't mind, and I can see activity on their app.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:55 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Be sure to turn the AUDIO volume up!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CR2Kq...um=share_sheet

That's how they knew where to find him...

siberian

PS Just checked on the wife's 2020 Macan S and my 2021 C4S and no trackers.

Last edited by siberian; 07-28-2021 at 07:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
britpop (07-31-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:31 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I was hooking up my direct-to-battery wires today for my battery tender and noticed two wires on the terminals that were definitely not factory. Curious, I followed the wire and pulled this out from under the battery case where it was stuck on the low side. What the heck? A little Google action shows it's a GPS Tracker. The manufacturer says its used for fleet management or sometimes requested by finance companies to they know where the vehicle is located. Now I know why they let you go on test drives by yourself, they know exactly where you are and how fast you are going in their car with a high degree of confidence.

I called my sales guy and he verified its in all their new cars (even the Macan I bought from them three months earlier). He said I can toss it if I want, they pay $ 399 for 3 years monitoring, all done at the dealership level. At first I was going to toss it, then remembered my insurance company gives an additional discount if there is a GPS tracker on the vehicles, so I'll leave it on for now, but after three years probably not.

It's attached directly to your battery in the car if you want to see if yours has one.

Buys $130k car. Wants insurance discount. Ha!
Old 07-29-2021, 12:32 PM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Buys $130k car. Wants insurance discount. Ha!
That is somewhat funny. What I think is funny- in order to get the discount, will need to drive 911 like a camry. Sort of takes the fun out of it to save 500.
The following 2 users liked this post by TeutonicCarFan:
Tedster (01-03-2022), Viper pilot (07-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Surprise! GPS tracker in my new 2021 992 S Cab