Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers? Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:34 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Someone posted a Porsche 2021 Model changes guide a couple weeks ago. It showed that Porsche changed front wheel offsets slightly VS 2020 models. They reduced offsets by 2-3 mm further pushing the front wheels out from the hub.
Did they change the hubs offset or the wheels?

EDIT:

Missed the post above yours. Most interesting!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the 992 looks great without them. That said, I have installed them on new multiple F cars (which need 10-15mm) both mid engine and front. Have had no issues, even when used for a number of full-on track laps with 140+ mph straights (not that I would spend more than a dozen laps on them).

The main functional value in those applications is a notably smoother ride...I guess from the increased leverage created on the suspension. I’m guessing that you’d get the same effect on a 992, particularly in back where all the weight is...there’ll be some trade-off in handling, but mostly at the limit, if you care about that.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Ive never really had good experiences with spacers. Every set Ive ever had on cars from Subarus, BMW's to Porsches all shook the steering wheel to some degree at 80mph or more. This time around I will put that money towards some flow form wheels with a nicer offset.
Same here. You have to be a maniac about getting all the lug nuts equally tensioned in a star pattern. If the spacer is a hair off, it's a problem. I HATE steering wheel shimmy. Getting proper offset wheels is really the best way to go. The Flowforms look nice -- they seem like a good, reasonably priced option.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (12-06-2020)
Old 02-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

I see most are using HR Spacers but they do not sell direct, Anyone know best place to purchase them along with the longer bolts? Thinking on the 5mm or 7mm. TIA
Old 02-14-2021, 10:43 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I was going to put some on my C4S, but mine has rear-wheel steering.
I fear it might create some unwanted stress or create some unwanted result in the
steering / steering components.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:42 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I've put spacers on every single car I've ever owned as a stop gap measure before getting aftermarket rims that fit flush. When I get my 992, I plan on getting spacers on day 1. Hence, another reason I'm going to pass on centerlocks, even if I step up to a turbo. As for why spacers? Purely for looks, particularly if you lower the car. The increased negative camber will make the wheels look even more tucked in than stock and a lowered car on stock rims is just begging for spacers IMO. While it increases the track width, I don't think it aids or detracts in handling or steering feel/effort in any meaningful way, particuarly if you're talking about 5mm spacers.

I have run expensive name brand German manufactured H&R spacers and cheap ebay spacers in sizes from 5mm to 25mm (yes 1 full inch!) and have have zero issues with vibration, steering problems, uneven tire wear, etc. on any of my cars. I have never had any problems whatsoever with spacers. I am careful to torque them to spec and retorque after a week or so just to be safe.

Whenever I take my car in for servicing, where I know they removed the rims, I will always loosen and retorque the wheel bolts back to spec when I get home. I've always done this since once being stranded on the side of the road w/ a flat tire b/c the dealer impact wrenched the hell out of the lug nut such that it was impossible to remove. Almost always, I find the dealers overtorque the lug nuts or wheel bolts probably b/c they're afraid of liability for wheels falling off and because the techs are lazy AF and NEVER bother using a torque wrench.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
fractionofawhole (09-03-2021), Wilder (03-05-2023)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:15 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
I see most are using H&R Spacers but they do not sell direct, Anyone know best place to purchase them along with the longer bolts? Thinking on the 5mm or 7mm. TIA
Anybody know a source? These distributors in Florida are lost...
Old 02-16-2021, 04:52 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

I went down the spacer route, I agree the std fit is slight under wheeled and wanted the aesthetics spacers give. However after a week with them on the car I took them off. They changed the way the steering felt and added a floaty sensation that wasn't there before. I would rather have better steering than a very slightly better stance.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:16 PM
4wheelspacers
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
Anybody know a source? These distributors in Florida are lost...
YES!

Check out our website, we carry almost all sizes for Porsche and have hands on experience with all Porsche applications. www.4wheelspacers.com

you can DM us anytime or call us with any questions.
4WheelSpacers Your #1 Source For The Best European Wheel Spacers and Adapters -SUMMER SALE ON LOTS OF PRODUCTS - QUALITY HUB CENTRIC WHEEL SPACER KITS FOR AUDI, BMW, MBZ, PORSCHE, VW 5MM UP TO 40MM !!!
EMAIL: INFO@4WHEELSPACERS.COM

ryandarr1979 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Originally Posted by 4wheelspacers
YES!

Check out our website, we carry almost all sizes for Porsche and have hands on experience with all Porsche applications. www.4wheelspacers.com

you can DM us anytime or call us with any questions.
Thank you. DM sent.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

I guess another route you can go (albeit for more money) that I didn’t even think of until now is to get performance lower control arms from Elephant Racing and/or eccentric solid bushings. I did the bushings on my GTS with centerlocks and brought the front track out about a half inch when I swapped the GTS centerlocks for GT3 centerlocks. The solid eccentric bushings are about $450-$500 plus install. They also improved the steering with a significantly more direct, less isolated feel.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:58 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
“The following optional wheels now have an adjusted offset in the front from the previous ET53 to ET50 for a more aesthetically pleasing flush look
• RS Spyder Design
• Carrera Classic
• Carrera Exclusive Design“

3 mm difference. Not huge, but maybe *just* enough to notice.

I'm still annoyed that they would change this within one model year.
This is quite interesting information. Thanks for that. It looks like the ET50 wheel is a half inch less wide than the ET53 wheel as well (..ET53 9" vs ET50 8.5").....at least going by another post I saw on Rennlist.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-16-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:03 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm putting on some winter wheels that may need some spacers in the rear. The sets on 4wheelspacers seem very reasonable. Anyone have experience with them?
Old 08-26-2021, 08:20 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
I'm putting on some winter wheels that may need some spacers in the rear. The sets on 4wheelspacers seem very reasonable. Anyone have experience with them?
yes so far perfect. Just installed front and rears on my 4S and I also have them on our RSQ8.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:38 AM
STIGETTE
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my spacers from ECS- great quality, decent price. I intended to go 10mm in the rear and 15mm in the front, but due to an order error (mine, not theirs) I ended up with four of each size. And the 10’s didn’t fit- wrong model. So the shop installed 15’s all around, and I’m happy with it for now but would not recommend 15’s for rears and will likely swap them out for 10’s or 12’s if I can find them.
M3Inline6 (08-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers? Yay or nay?