Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 992 entry and drive option

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

There are a few videos of the early 2020 vehicles that actually had this enabled, it seems like it was disabled shortly after. This is a software feature for sure, as it did work on early cars for a bit. My Jan 2020 car does not do it.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:43 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

FWIW the 2020 Cayenne manual was out of date in several key places, the separate battery/charging manual was significantly out of date.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:46 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
There are a few videos of the early 2020 vehicles that actually had this enabled, it seems like it was disabled shortly after. This is a software feature for sure, as it did work on early cars for a bit. My Jan 2020 car does not do it.
It would have made more sense if the earlier June, 2019 manual showed the feature and the later November, 2019 one did not, instead of the opposite.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:02 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
Absolutely right, not worth the security risk. If you live in an area with high rates of auto theft you should really consider disabling comfort access all together. I remember watching a 992 review of a euro spec car and the reviewer mentioned that to enable it you had to sign a waiver (I think it was in the UK). Or just get an MT.
Of course everyone makes their own decisions with regard to risk vs. reward, but just to be clear Comfort Access is only a security risk if someone can boost the signal from your key and unlock your car. This has been done for parked cars in garages or in front of the house when people store their keys nearby the car. I don't know if it has been done for a 992 given that the Porsche key has extra precautions, e.g., requires motion to become active.

I do store my Porsche key in a
faraday bag faraday bag
when hung by my interior garage door. I verified that without the bag, the key was close enough to my 992 parked on the other side of the wall to unllock but the bag stops keyless unlocking. I choose to use Comfort Access because the convenience of just walking up to the car and opening the door (when it works) is worth the extra security risk. If someone reports a 992 actually stolen by boosting Comfort Access then I may reassess the amount of security risk.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
The way I read this is that items 1 and 2 are an explanation of the checked paragraph above them. Item 1 states that "the vehicle is unlocked and the door handle extends" when you grasp into the handle recess, not before, and this is how mine works.
Ok, yeah I see that now.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:42 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Of course everyone makes their own decisions with regard to risk vs. reward, but just to be clear Comfort Access is only a security risk if someone can boost the signal from your key and unlock your car. This has been done for parked cars in garages or in front of the house when people store their keys nearby the car. I don't know if it has been done for a 992 given that the Porsche key has extra precautions, e.g., requires motion to become active.

I do store my Porsche key in a faraday bag when hung by my interior garage door. I verified that without the bag, the key was close enough to my 992 parked on the other side of the wall to unllock but the bag stops keyless unlocking. I choose to use Comfort Access because the convenience of just walking up to the car and opening the door (when it works) is worth the extra security risk. If someone reports a 992 actually stolen by boosting Comfort Access then I may reassess the amount of security risk.
I don't have a security issue with normal comfort access where you actually have to touch the handle to unlock. I just wouldn't want the car to unlock as I approach it before I decide I want it unlocked after making sure the area is secure, so I'm glad I don't have this 2021 feature. I wonder if it can be turned off and still keep just the normal comfort access?

Last edited by HouTexCarreraS; 12-14-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Helgaman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gcurnew. Note: the Comfort Access description on the PCM toggle doesn’t mention it, but it also toggles the frunk hand waving on and off.

Quick Reply: 911 992 entry and drive option