992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021 | 02:06 AM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

There was a time when you couldn't buy a manual Carrera. Who knows what the future has in store for us? Maybe with electrification, the bean counters at VW will do it again. So I am betting that my 2021 992 C2S with three pedals will be very desirable in 10 years. My three kids all passed their driving tests on manual cars and learned to drive using 3 pedals. Its a level of engagement that is essential when learning how to drive IMHO. I taught them how to rev match their downshifts and the smile on their faces when they executed even one out of ten perfectly, was priceless. I will say the that the PDK is best automatic transmission I have ever driven. But after a week in C2S 992 cab, I was yearning to shift myself. And after watching the reviews of the 992 7MT I cannot wait. For those on the fence I recommend Henry Catchpole's

Last edited by Hormazd Dalal; 01-28-2021 at 02:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hormazd Dalal:
AlterZgo (01-28-2021), russbert (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 02:18 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
I will say the that the PDK is best automatic transmission I have ever driven. But after a week in C2S 992 cab, I was yearning to shift myself. And after watching the reviews of the 992 7MT I cannot wait.
That's what I'm torn about. The PDK seems so much quicker than the manual and I've always wanted to experience the instantaneous shifts of a PDK, but I am worried that I would get bored with the PDK real quick. I've owned almost all manual cars over the past 20 years. I bought only 2 automatics. Each time I brought home an automatic, I almost immediately regretted it and started from day 1 planning on trading it in for another manual car.

Now I'm torn between getting a C2S PDK vs. C2S manual and, given how expensive the C2S is spec'd with the options I want, I'm now looking at 992 turbos... which is even faster, but has no manual option at all. For any die hard manual lovers who stepped up to a turbo or turbo S, was it worth giving up the joy of the manual transmission for the much higher power and the AWD of the turbo S? FWIW, I live in AZ so weather is not a concern at all and I have no intention of tracking my car.

Old 01-28-2021 | 02:40 AM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
That's what I'm torn about. The PDK seems so much quicker than the manual and I've always wanted to experience the instantaneous shifts of a PDK, but I am worried that I would get bored with the PDK real quick. I've owned almost all manual cars over the past 20 years. I bought only 2 automatics. Each time I brought home an automatic, I almost immediately regretted it and started from day 1 planning on trading it in for another manual car.

Now I'm torn between getting a C2S PDK vs. C2S manual and, given how expensive the C2S is spec'd with the options I want, I'm now looking at 992 turbos... which is even faster, but has no manual option at all. For any die hard manual lovers who stepped up to a turbo or turbo S, was it worth giving up the joy of the manual transmission for the much higher power and the AWD of the turbo S? FWIW, I live in AZ so weather is not a concern at all and I have no intention of tracking my car.
My build is just shy of Turbo territory in price and if it wasn't for the transmission I would get one. And to make sure I was making the right decision, drove a C2S Cab PDK for 5 days and 600 miles as a daily driver. On one run in Sports Plus, my daughter was driving (die hard MT driver, drives a VW GTI) and the car downshifted just when she would have in anticipation of a sharp curve. Amazing technology, I think they use GPS in addition to throttle input to predict shift points. We were both amazed. Are you sure you want a manual Daddy? On the fifth day, the answer was yes. The tech will get old. My daily right now is BMW M550i 6spd. Much heavier clutch and I suspect more demanding than the 992s MT. I love it everyday. But that's just me. Try and drive a PDK for a few days. Treat yourself to an expensive rental. You won't regret the security in your decision, no matter what you choose.

You seen Matt Farahs review. It says it all.

Last edited by Hormazd Dalal; 01-28-2021 at 02:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 11:16 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

I prefer my MT in this...

and my PDK in this...

Though I do appreciate the guys that still spec a MT in a modern 911 #savethemanual

Last edited by smiles11; 01-28-2021 at 11:26 AM.
AlterZgo (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 11:44 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I have the PDK in the 2020 Macan S. Sure its quick to shift and at the end of the day its an automatic transmission. zzzzzzzz Great for The Win at stoplights.

My 2021 Cab S is a manual that is loaded with options and the highest build I can get from Porsche and still have a three-pedal car. I'd have bought a Turbo but....automatic.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM4I29Z0

There is the Art of Driving present in a manual transmission sports car. Executing a well timed shift is one of the great joys of driving.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
AlterZgo (01-28-2021), Boulder Mike (01-28-2021), txpackers (01-29-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 01:17 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
My build is just shy of Turbo territory in price and if it wasn't for the transmission I would get one. And to make sure I was making the right decision, drove a C2S Cab PDK for 5 days and 600 miles as a daily driver. On one run in Sports Plus, my daughter was driving (die hard MT driver, drives a VW GTI) and the car downshifted just when she would have in anticipation of a sharp curve. Amazing technology, I think they use GPS in addition to throttle input to predict shift points. We were both amazed. Are you sure you want a manual Daddy? On the fifth day, the answer was yes. The tech will get old. My daily right now is BMW M550i 6spd. Much heavier clutch and I suspect more demanding than the 992s MT. I love it everyday. But that's just me. Try and drive a PDK for a few days. Treat yourself to an expensive rental. You won't regret the security in your decision, no matter what you choose.

You seen Matt Farahs review. It says it all.
Thanks! Appreciate the insights. I plan on going to the LA PEC to try out a C2S and turbo or may rent a C2S PDK via Turo or something. I had a E60 535i 6MT. Loved that car! It was one of the best BMWs ever, IMO. The 5 series hadn't gotten too big yet and was only maybe 100-150 lbs heavier than a 3 series. That, for me, was a near perfect sedan. I also test drove a 6MT 550i which was even more incredible as it was fully loaded w/ all of the various handling aids. Amazing how nimble that 5 series was.
Old 01-28-2021 | 01:27 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Manual vs PDK is one of those never ending arguments. In the end personal choice, which is fine.
user 64927802 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 06:20 PM
M718R
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Porsche has a track record of filling a demand when a void exists like with the 911R and subsequent manual GT3 touring so I would think they will keep offering manuals on their quintessential sports car, the 911.

I think it’s awesome that you want to teach your son how to drive manual. I had the same thing in mind when I bought my current manual M3 6 years ago. My son was 10 at the time and now he’s 16! I vowed that he would be one of the few... perhaps the only one in his high school who knows how to drive a stick... alas he is a child of the internet age and, though he’s now 16, does not seem to be in any rush to get a drivers license.

Regardless, I plan on keeping my 6MT M3 for the foreseeable future... my only dilemma now, as I plot my jump to my first Porsche, is whether I get a manual C2S or a PDK.
I do wonder if they will care about cars as much as we did/do. I hope so! I say go for the manual! I think after the 992 (maybe 992.2), Porsche will stop offering manuals, except for thier special editions may still get it. But imagine the price tag on a new 911R manual in 2025, assuming they get rid of manuals in the Carrera ranges? I wouldn't be able to afford it.
AlterZgo (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 06:44 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

If you dont buy manuals, Porsche will stop offering them, then we have no more manuals. It will be YOUR FAULT.
The following 3 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
AlterZgo (01-28-2021), JustChris (01-29-2021), txpackers (01-29-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 07:53 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smiles11
I prefer my MT in this...

and my PDK in this...

Though I do appreciate the guys that still spec a MT in a modern 911 #savethemanual
What are your specs on the 992 ? Beautiful!

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission