Sponsored by:

[urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 01:53 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun Rao

on thin ice already after agonizing about this all thanksgiving day i don't think i am allowed to mention the car until the holidays are over
its Macy’s Day....oops I mean Black Friday......she must have her eye on a bargain somewhere
Old 11-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
its Macy’s Day....oops I mean Black Friday......she must have her eye on a bargain somewhere
we are buying new living room furniture today, but i am still expecting the dreaded "silent treatment" throughout
Old 11-27-2020, 01:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

thx @Bluehighways ... i am pretty sure @LexVan and @Brad911 are joking
I was dead serious about the sandwich. Add a dab of cranberries and stuffing. Have her taste test the milk when the dishes are cleaned up.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (03-23-2022)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
I was dead serious about the sandwich. Add a dab of cranberries and stuffing. Have her taste test the milk when the dishes are cleaned up.
that turkey sandwich would definitely hit the spot
Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Good Grief!
Do NOT put coolant or anything that might be coolant in your mouth!
Coolant can and will destroy your kidneys.
Also if it is coolant, be sure to contain it and then rinse away any residual amounts as thoroughly as possible. Animals (Dogs & Cats) like the smell and are attracted to it.
https://spca.bc.ca/faqs/antifreeze/
Good golly, just a taste. No one is suggesting ya drink it, and waste good propylene glycol.
stevepow (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

i use porsche of stevens creek for my other 2 porsches. they are just a few minutes away from where i live ... they seem ok, but then again, i have had 0 issues with the macan and boxster - so the service department hasn't really been tested. which dealer do you recommend?

i spoke with the sales rep this morning and he assures me the car was fully serviced before it got put on the truck. he sent me the receipt indicating it was done. his explanation for dead battery and low engine oil levels are (all words are his):
1) dead battery - "If the remote key was left inside the 992 continuously during transport it kept the car awake and on "stand by" waiting for ignition to be started. This will drain the battery."
2) oil level light - "Regarding the oil low warning light, if this reading was immediate from when you jump started the 992 and stayed on after you re-started the next day (after having it parked on a level surface) it is an accurate reading. If the light illuminated after you jump started and then went away on subsequent starts, it may be due to the 992 being transported at a nose down or nose up angle thus not allowing all the oil to percolate down to the bottom of the engine.
"

i took this worrisome picture last night - is there an oil leak in addition to a potential coolant leak?

error message when getting the car prepped to be flatbedded to service shop.

also, while off loading the car (I drove it off the tow truck), I noticed an error message that said "left indicator light malfunction" ... it cleared itself within seconds.

I have a laundry list of things for the service shop to look at
Old 11-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good golly, just a taste. No one is suggesting ya drink it, and waste good propylene glycol.
Reminds me of two guys (present company excepted of course) walking along the trail. After a bit they come across something different in their path. The first one says to the second, “Smell it”. The second one says, “It smells like sh*t”. So the first one then asks the second one to “Touch it”. The second one says, “It feels like sh*t”. So the first one now asks the second one to “Taste it”. The second one says, “It tastes like sh*t”. The first one clearly relieved (no pun intended) now says, “Sure am glad I didn’t step in it!”
Old 11-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Reminds me of two guys (present company excepted of course) walking along the trail. After a bit they come across something different in their path. The first one says to the second, “Smell it”. The second one says, “It smells like sh*t”. So the first one then asks the second one to “Touch it”. The second one says, “It feels like sh*t”. So the first one now asks the second one to “Taste it”. The second one says, “It tastes like sh*t”. The first one clearly relieved (no pun intended) now says, “Sure am glad I didn’t step in it!”
Old 11-29-2020, 11:23 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

This is fascinating. You all must not be gear heads. You seriously can't tell the difference between coolant and oil?!

Dabbing a drop and rubbing it between thumb and index finger is all you need to do...
The following 3 users liked this post by SBAD:
Arun Rao (11-29-2020), Noah Fect (11-29-2020), stevepow (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBAD
This is fascinating. You all must not be gear heads. You seriously can't tell the difference between coolant and oil?!

Dabbing a drop and rubbing it between thumb and index finger is all you need to do...
i am most certainly not a gear head, but i agree i should have realized it's coolant right away. i attribute my "ignorance" to the shock of seeing liquid streaming out of a brand new car
SBAD (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:27 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

i am most certainly not a gear head, but i agree i should have realized it's coolant right away. i attribute my "ignorance" to the shock of seeing liquid streaming out of a brand new car
I’d not be concerned at all. Most folks probably can’t tell the difference between salt and sugar just by looking at them. When in doubt, it’s probably best to take it to a subject expert and not to guess. I’d imagine that it’s a very small percentage of people who can be relied upon to properly identify a fluid dripping from their car. Better to be safe than sorry. You did the right things.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:46 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

I, too, had somewhat of a headachy delivery and first few months of the ownership. Car was delivered with all three rear lights cracked, which were replaced by warranty for being “stress cracks”. Then I had suspension errors on the dashboard after trying to lower my car with TechArt HAS springs (3 weeks of driving with the error messages, a new ride height sensor and coding reset by the dealership cleared the error message). Now, nasty clunking noise from the rear whenever I hit the smallest bump on the road (at the dealership now, let’s see what it is).

I think it’s better to have all these issues now, than when your warranty is up.

Enjoy the car when you get it back!

Last edited by Tanqueray86; 11-29-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:12 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I know that a lot of RennList'ers are willing to buy cars from dealers across the country to save a couple of bucks, but stories like this are why I prefer to work with my local dealer. I am sure that the OP will be able to get all of their issues addressed, but there is a something to be said for working with a dealer that believes that they will see you again.
somewhat agree with that
the biggest difference will be the involvement of the sales department if bought at a local dealer
for example op will get a loaner car probably a Macan while the car is getting repaired
if the deal was done locally, GSM might approve giving op a used 911 on the lot for a loaner
not a huge deal , and I am sure car will be fixed and enjoyed
detansinn (11-29-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:31 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

error message when getting the car prepped to be flatbedded to service shop.

also, while off loading the car (I drove it off the tow truck), I noticed an error message that said "left indicator light malfunction" ... it cleared itself within seconds.

I have a laundry list of things for the service shop to look at
update from service department just now:

We have traced the source of the leak to a valve block that allows the engine to warm faster to bring the heater online as soon as possible. We ordered the part and it should arrive tomorrow. The coolant bleeding takes some time because it is done under vacuum, so it looks like it should complete by Wednesday evening.
The following 10 users liked this post by Arun Rao:
aggie57 (11-30-2020), Bluehighways (11-30-2020), bobblehead (11-30-2020), ChalkThe911 (12-01-2020), craig66 (11-30-2020), detansinn (11-30-2020), drgav2005 (12-05-2020), mathus7 (11-30-2020), wasabi4 (11-30-2020), Zanotti (11-30-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:37 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Good news.

Quick Reply: [urgent!] leak from rear right side on my brand new, just delivered 992 c2s