Converting NA to EU Standards

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Converting NA to EU Standards

Hi,

I thought I’ve seen a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn’t find it. Perhaps it’s in another forum.

I just shipped my C2S overseas, and I would like to convert it from North American to International/EU standards. Here are few items that I need to change. Please feel free to add or correct me.

1- Change rear turn signal headlights to Amber
Basically I need to buy Right and Left headlights. Probably a plug&play. I’m hoping this won’t require any programing.

2- Change side marker light from Amber to transparent
This is a Plug&Play. HOWEVER, I noticed that side markers in US/Canada (even transparent ones) will stay one all the time, and once the turn signal is turned on it will start flashing. In other countries, the side marker will stay off all the time, and will only turn on/flash when the turn signal is turned on. So I’m guessing this will require programing

3- Convert speedometer from miles to km and temperature from F to C
This could be done in PCM (I hope)

4- Update maps and system
I have no clue! Will the map of the new country be automatically downloaded or I need to purchase a new map for the new region (this is the case with many car manufacturers)

5-....?

Old 11-24-2020, 06:58 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Given that the US spec taillight will light up the same bulbs for turn signal as well as braking, I wonder if that would in fact require coding. Not sure if the housing itself can differentiate.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Given that the US spec taillight will light up the same bulbs for turn signal as well as braking, I wonder if that would in fact require coding. Not sure if the housing itself can differentiate.
Good point. Non-US markets often require amber turn signals.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:12 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

I'm sure it will require a new tail light, but not sure if the new tail light will require programming to work properly.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:57 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

You can try asking the guys at GetPorscheParts or Suncoast - both US based, but might be able to find out for you. I know Suncoast is definitely aware of the amber vs. red physical difference, but I did not follow-up with them on how it actually functions.
The following users liked this post:
KenTO (01-24-2023)
Old 11-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Are you moving for good or a short period of time? Is leasing a car there and putting yours in storage an option? Seems like a lot of expense unless you are staying.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:56 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

You will also need to add particulate filters. US cars don’t come with them. If moving to EU, you might consider selling and ordering a car there.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

You can try asking the guys at GetPorscheParts or Suncoast - both US based, but might be able to find out for you. I know Suncoast is definitely aware of the amber vs. red physical difference, but I did not follow-up with them on how it actually functions.
Yes they are aware of the amber vs read tail light, but they don’t have them in stock. I forgot to ask them about programing.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Are you moving for good or a short period of time? Is leasing a car there and putting yours in storage an option? Seems like a lot of expense unless you are staying.
Moving for good

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
You will also need to add particulate filters. US cars don’t come with them. If moving to EU, you might consider selling and ordering a car there.
Luckily I’m moving to the Middle East (Saudi Arabia)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Good luck with the move and the car.

I moved to Florida. Just had to install patience, the drivers down here are terrible. I thought Pa was bad.
The following 3 users liked this post by Penn4S:
Drew46 (01-24-2023), Noah Fect (03-29-2022), Tobeit (03-29-2022)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Good luck with the move and the car.

I moved to Florida. Just had to install patience, the drivers down here are terrible. I thought Pa was bad.
It’s Black Friday, I hope I can find good deals on brand new “patience”. I really need it
Old 12-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dakmary
1- Change rear turn signal headlights to Amber
Basically I need to buy Right and Left headlights. Probably a plug&play. I’m hoping this won’t require any programing.
Regarding this point, I read somewhere that it’s not a plug and play. The wirings need some modification. It might also need programing. Could anyone confirm?
Old 11-15-2021, 06:49 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

Finally found this thread

I have imported a US 992, and trying to convert it to EU standards (mainly the red to amber turn signals). I bought EU tail light from Germany and installed the last night. Installation was as simple as plug and play, but it didn’t function as expected!

When I engage the turn signal BOTH the amber and red (break) light will blink.. what’s even worse is when I break BOTH amber and red will light up :”(

it's clear that the car is treating both break lights and signal lights as break lights. How do you think I can fix this!?
Old 12-04-2021, 08:06 PM
911andDone
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for following up on this post. I'm also looking to do an amber tail light conversion. The 991's required a tab to be shaved off on the tail light in order to fit, but now you're findings show the 992 US and Euro connectors are an exact fit!
I have also read that when these tail lights are changed, they need to be coded for "red" or "amber" else both colors will illuminate, someone with more coding experience on these cars would have to verify. Hopefully someone can chime in as I'm sure there are others who want amber rear signals on the 992..
Also, did you get someone to hit the brake for you to make sure both colors didn't illuminate when braking? I may order the Euro tails online and try experimenting with this as well if we can find someone who can code this properly.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:57 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone successfully converted red tail blinkers to amber?
Old 09-30-2022, 04:48 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Resurrecting this dead thread to see if anyone ever went through with this. I need to replace the entire rear assembly (all three components are badly scraped/scratched) and suncoast has the set for $1000, EU or US style. I quite like the amber rear turn signals but if it's not plug and play or reasonably close to it, I don't think I'm interested enough for the hassle.

Quick Reply: Converting NA to EU Standards