Sponsored by:

Should I buy or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Should I buy or wait?

I've been on these forums forever looking to get a 911 cab. At first, we were about to have kids so it didn't make sense as a family car. Later, i thought the Macan would be a good fit (and hated the SUV-feel of it). Most recently, I have a fully loaded Panamera 4S, which I love, but I still have my eye on getting a 911 cab. Kids are now the perfect age to be safe & comfortable in the back seat (6 & 7 y/o). Some of my hesitations are below - just posting here since many I'm sure have gone through a similar thought process & I'm hoping can provide feedback:

1) My Panamera is still under warranty for 2+ years, and it's not a great time in the depreciation cycle to sell.
2) I think I'd want to spring for a GTS, which aren't out yet. I can spec a 4S to be similar enough, but typically a GTS is just a little bit more (especially given the performance options I select) - probably worth waiting? How much more would the GTS be?
3) The other option is to consider a CPO one, but just looking around - they seem to be priced pretty high. A 2018 low-mileage GTS cab I looked at was priced at $133k ($160k MSRP). A similarly speced 2021 4S cab comes out to ~$155k MSRP new (minus the typical 5-6% discount).
4) My criteria is a smaller-sized 4-seat sporty convertible with AWD. Along with the 911, there are some other options on the horizon like the 2022 AMG SL63; which will cost less (both MSRP & maintenance). Also a 2-3 year old Bentley Continental GT Convertible is in the same price range as well.

The car will be my D&D, but for the next 6mo, I'm still most likely working from home (COVID), so I can easily wait another 6mo if needed, I won't be driving the car much in the meantime anyway.

Last edited by amelen; 11-18-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:21 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

If you ordered a new 992 today to your specifications, it probably won't be delivered until late spring or summer-- so the depreciation on your Panamera may be closer to the three year point.

As for the GTS, it'll probably have 30 or so more horsepower than the S, and come packaged with RAS, SPASM, and sport exhaust, as well as some minor trim changes. It will almost certainly be available with the manual. The performance gap between the S and the Turbo is not huge, and they have to protect the Turbo from being cannibalized--so I'm betting on an advertised 0-60 time for the GTS to be about 3.3 seconds (which is probably conservative, given Porsche's tradition). A lot of owners say that the S is already too fast to exploit on public roads, so unless you are track oriented, there is likely little reason to get the GTS. The only real advantage I see in the GTS is that it might depreciate a little less than an S comparably equipped, but not to any huge extent.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
If you ordered a new 992 today to your specifications, it probably won't be delivered until late spring or summer-- so the depreciation on your Panamera may be closer to the three year point.

As for the GTS, it'll probably have 30 or so more horsepower than the S, and come packaged with RAS, SPASM, and sport exhaust, as well as some minor trim changes. It will almost certainly be available with the manual. The performance gap between the S and the Turbo is not huge, and they have to protect the Turbo from being cannibalized--so I'm betting on an advertised 0-60 time for the GTS to be about 3.3 seconds (which is probably conservative, given Porsche's tradition). A lot of owners say that the S is already too fast to exploit on public roads, so unless you are track oriented, there is likely little reason to get the GTS. The only real advantage I see in the GTS is that it might depreciate a little less than an S comparably equipped, but not to any huge extent.
Assuming I'm going to pick the items it's packaged with anyway (RAS, SPASM, sports exhaust), what do you think the pricing delta will be like? In terms of delivery, it seems like I can get a 4S for late spring time right now. The arrival of the GTS is hard to tell though.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

The previous gen 991.2 GTS and the 992 S and 4S are nearly identical performance wise. I actually think the 992 S/4S is quicker. Since you are looking for a Cab, which by default means you are not looking for a serious track car. I would look at either a 991.2 S/4S cab or look for a 992 S/4S cab. You will not be wanting any speed - trust me when I say. My 992 4S (in manual transmission even) puts just as much of a smile on my face when I get after it as my Mclaren 720s or my F12. You will not be missing the 992 GTS from a power standpoint.

You may want to search auto trader or the like and see what you can get a low milage 1 year old 991.2 S Cab, that will be much less than a GTS. Also trade values are pretty strong right now in the used market...

I am going to get the 992 targa next, and I was thinking of waiting for the 992 Targa GTS, but now instead, I will drive this one another year or two and just get the 992.2 Targa 4S as my next daily, really no need for the extra speed IMO on the targa or Cab, unless this is your track car as well.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:39 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Just a guess, of course, but I'm thinking that the GTS will be a $12,000 upgrade over the 2S. However, coming bundled with all that it likely will be, the delta may be much less if you configure am S with the same equipment as the GTS.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:41 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
The previous gen 991.2 GTS and the 992 S and 4S are nearly identical performance wise. I actually think the 992 S/4S is quicker. Since you are looking for a Cab, which by default means you are not looking for a serious track car. I would look at either a 991.2 S/4S cab or look for a 992 S/4S cab. You will not be wanting any speed - trust me when I say. My 992 4S (in manual transmission even) puts just as much of a smile on my face when I get after it as my Mclaren 720s or my F12. You will not be missing the 992 GTS from a power standpoint.

You may want to search auto trader or the like and see what you can get a low milage 1 year old 991.2 S Cab, that will be much less than a GTS. Also trade values are pretty strong right now in the used market...

I am going to get the 992 targa next, and I was thinking of waiting for the 992 Targa GTS, but now instead, I will drive this one another year or two and just get the 992.2 Targa 4S as my next daily, really no need for the extra speed IMO on the targa or Cab, unless this is your track car as well.
Thank you - yes, won't be using on the track, will be my DD. Good feedback, thanks. Looking at the market, the 1/2-year used, seem to just be 10-15% off MSRP. I can probably get close to 10% off a new one. Does that seem correct?
Old 11-18-2020, 06:50 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

10% off a new 992? No.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:59 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by lucycan
10% off a new 992? No.
The company I own works with a bunch of porsche dealerships, I haven't formally asked them - but I have a hunch it would be close (helped by the relationship I have with them). Maybe not 10%, but more then 5% for sure (from previous convo's). 1-2 year-old CPO models are ~15% off MSRP it seems - seems like they are holding prices very well, especially when CPO-ed and low miles.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
The company I own works with a bunch of porsche dealerships, I haven't formally asked them - but I have a hunch it would be close (helped by the relationship I have with them). Maybe not 10%, but more then 5% for sure (from previous convo's). 1-2 year-old CPO models are ~15% off MSRP it seems - seems like they are holding prices very well, especially when CPO-ed and low miles.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 PM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen

Never bought a Porsche. Just got allocation for a 4s with a 6% discount. I would imagine 10% could be attainable based on your business relationship.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

CPO probably not the best deal nowadays. Not like it used to be.

GTS allocations won't open up for awhile and they will likely be hard to come by. Forget discounts of any significant degree on those cars. Something to keep in mind. Overall you could be looking at a few years of wait time.

Kids can fit in the backseat up to a certain point. The 911 is the ultimate dad sports car and I love taking my little girl on drives. She enjoys it too. That is fleeting and I know it won't last. I'd rather not miss those moments -- buy now.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
gohawks23 (11-18-2020), Overdraft (11-21-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Do. NOT. Wait.

Really have nothing else to say
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Kids can fit in the backseat up to a certain point. The 911 is the ultimate dad sports car and I love taking my little girl on drives. She enjoys it too. That is fleeting and I know it won't last. I'd rather not miss those moments -- buy now.
Don't be too sure about that. Mine is 12, loves to go fast and wants to have a Lamborghini one day.

Every time we get in the car, its "Go faster, daddy!".
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Don't be too sure about that. Mine is 12, loves to go fast and wants to have a Lamborghini one day.

Every time we get in the car, its "Go faster, daddy!".
Haha. My girl is 9 and giggles every time I gun it. My wife hates it, but the girl eggs me on. Chip off the old block.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
dribar (11-19-2020), markchristenson (11-19-2020), russbert (11-21-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

If you're waiting, what for? To save a few bucks, maybe a decent dinner out or weekend away? Don’t get hung up over a few bucks, buy the car and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (11-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Should I buy or wait?