Sponsored by:

Back in the market again

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:34 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Back in the market again - allocation acquired

Hi guys - first post in the 992 section. My last 911 was a first-in-US 2011 GTS that I dearly loved, but gave up for better adolescent car seat options. I switched to a truck for a daily driver, making another 911 reasonable as a weekend car, errand runner and occasional family transport.

For a while, I had convinced myself that I wouldn't like the less mechanical 991/992 variants over my beloved 997s and I have been shopping 997 GTS and Turbo models off and on for a couple of months. I was talking about one with my wife this weekend at the Petit le Mans (GTLM Porsche win!) and we were weighing the pros/cons of 10 year old low mileage GTS vs. a new C2S. She knows how many hours I pour over the forums, online articles and videos, configurators, etc. before buying and has suggested I should just spec out a new car - and I agree that deciding what to build and buy is at least half the fun of taking delivery of a new car.

That said, I have started my dig into this portion of Rennlist and caught myself staying up to 4 am yesterday (and 2:30 am now) reading, and decided to make a thread for the journey. Suggestions, advice and friendly conversation are both welcome and encouraged.

I'm still playing around with my build, here is the current version: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5WCMX9

Last edited by gravedgr; 10-30-2020 at 05:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gravedgr:
AlexCeres (10-30-2020), detansinn (10-19-2020), Hdizzle (11-17-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 03:40 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

few things:
1) the standard trims are very nice and body colored trims are well... they are what they are. i suggest you take a look at the standard trims before opting for body colored.
2) aero kit probably means no car for a loong time as there seems to be a shortage of them.
3) c2s also means a big shortage and probably no car this year

my c2s is oct production. with order confirmed in august. it was the last c2s allocation for my dealer this year.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:52 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rumnyc
few things:
1) the standard trims are very nice and body colored trims are well... they are what they are. i suggest you take a look at the standard trims before opting for body colored.
2) aero kit probably means no car for a loong time as there seems to be a shortage of them.
3) c2s also means a big shortage and probably no car this year

my c2s is oct production. with order confirmed in august. it was the last c2s allocation for my dealer this year.
Thanks for the great feedback! I plan to swing by the dealer soon (this week?) and play around in the showroom - I'd like to look at the trim that would be painted (per your suggestion), see the paint samples (I had my heart set on green until I saw the Python Green thread w/sample cars. ), and evaluate the FAL. My GTS scraped air dam under the front bumper, so the aerokit may be a no-go even with a FAL (ignoring the availability challenge).

My dealer is (or was) the largest in the nation so I'm hoping if anyone has allocations, it will be them. They have also pulled strings for me before (when my GTS hit the shores, they paid a separate private carrier to bring it here so I could take delivery on 12/31/10), so we'll see how the first chat goes. Thanks again for your advice!
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Nice build! Spending time in the configurator is a lot of fun and addicting. Good luck and hope your allocation works out.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:35 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

The 992s are awesome and you've put together a lean performance oriented build. Oh, and the 18 ways are totally worth it, btw. I would ditch the body colored trim inlays and put that money towards the full leather interior. The base interior isn't commensurate with a $143k car.

Given that you have owned other Porsche cars, you're probably already aware of the "no sunroof" downsides when it comes to resale.
dashanin (12-12-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

I would double check the interior trim as the red is bright and doesn’t look as nice as the others. To be honest, the standard is nice. Use the money somewhere else.
detansinn (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

I shall join the red trim is no bueno crowd but other than that, very nice build!
detansinn (10-19-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 01:40 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. Originally, I was speccing the car in green and didn't think it was too much in the cabin. I tend to agree the red trim may be overdoing it a bit, although I do like a lot of color.

Both my GT350 and my F350 are both red and while I have always loved guards red Porsches, in consultation with the wife I am starting to learn towards the Night Blue Metallic exterior. Pretty with some color, but not demanding of everyone's attention all the time. I get that today - people taking pictures at stop lights, parking lots and gas stations - and while I don't mind, I may end up a bit more conservative this time. My C63 was Capri Blue Metallic and fairly similar as best I can tell.

I might still keep the red seat belts and red tach, however. That boring black interior needs some color. PMH8HAE4
Old 10-20-2020, 02:37 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

My 0.02

PM5DVCD2

Drop the Aero Kit as who knows when or if the car will ever get built. Drop the interior paint in favor of leather. Add: PDCC, RAS, Light Weight/Noise Reducing Glass, and the Performance Package. Pretty much the same $$$ when all said and done.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:09 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
My 0.02

PM5DVCD2

Drop the Aero Kit as who knows when or if the car will ever get built. Drop the interior paint in favor of leather. Add: PDCC, RAS, Light Weight/Noise Reducing Glass, and the Performance Package. Pretty much the same $$$ when all said and done.
PDCC, RAS are pretty much no-go's for me. I don't think the value = cost, and I'm limiting the number of extra systems that could break down the road (ex: PDLS) that I honestly don't feel are necessary. There are a number of things I feel are solutions in search of a problem. I did consider the glass and will look for some more info. I already have the performance package specced (and always will). I don't really have a budget, just an avoidance of features I don't really want or need. My GTS had the base radio and manual seats, and I loved it.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Don't do interior color trim.

Everyone one I've seen in person has looked tacky, to be nice, or ugly, to be kind.

Red belts and tach (and even a red chrono) would be classy touches.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (10-20-2020), detansinn (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Don't do interior color trim.

Everyone one I've seen in person has looked tacky, to be nice, or ugly, to be kind.

Red belts and tach (and even a red chrono) would be classy touches.
Thanks. You guys seem pretty solid on not getting any painted trim so I’ll ditch that. In the 997, the painted central console looked really good on certain colors (ex: yellow), but I can see where bits of trim only would not go as well.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Thanks for the feedback. Originally, I was speccing the car in green and didn't think it was too much in the cabin. I tend to agree the red trim may be overdoing it a bit, although I do like a lot of color.

Both my GT350 and my F350 are both red and while I have always loved guards red Porsches, in consultation with the wife I am starting to learn towards the Night Blue Metallic exterior. Pretty with some color, but not demanding of everyone's attention all the time. I get that today - people taking pictures at stop lights, parking lots and gas stations - and while I don't mind, I may end up a bit more conservative this time. My C63 was Capri Blue Metallic and fairly similar as best I can tell.

I might still keep the red seat belts and red tach, however. That boring black interior needs some color. PMH8HAE4
I love the Night Blue. That would've been my choice if I went for blue again. It's not too flashy but still beautiful.
Here's another personal opinion, the Aero Kit hurts the classic Porsche shape for me. I'd go without.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:27 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by norberts
I love the Night Blue. That would've been my choice if I went for blue again. It's not too flashy but still beautiful.
Here's another personal opinion, the Aero Kit hurts the classic Porsche shape for me. I'd go without.
I've had three without it because I didn't like the way they looked. I think it looks really good on the 992 and my wife really likes it as well, so unless its going to prevent the order I think that option is a keeper.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Great buys right now on CPO 2017-2019 991.2 Turbo Ss and Turbos......instead of a 992.....

Quick Reply: Back in the market again