Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the market again

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 12:48 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks Jeff. I agree about breaking up the interior and loved the color on the inside of my SY ‘07, but I’m trusting the folks here (and my SA) and I’m going to skip the trim. I do hope to get belts, tach and/or SC dial depending on the extra color. My SA is checking on PTS for me now and I may go the Lizard Green route with matching accessories.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (11-07-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:13 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Just a thread update. Talked to my SA again and I submitted my build.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM9RK3E1

The only other option I think I'm considering is the power folding mirrors. For $370, it could be cheap insurance against my kids running into them in the garage.
Helios59 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

That’s a great build at any price, particularly that price. Nicely done. I wanted a loud color but friends here that do get keyed. It’s a vagary in this crazy state.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:26 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
That’s a great build at any price, particularly that price. Nicely done. I wanted a loud color but friends here that do get keyed. It’s a vagary in this crazy state.
That's really sad. I don't understand not being happy for others' success, or appreciating something that someone else really loves.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gravedgr
That's really sad. I don't understand not being happy for others' success, or appreciating something that someone else really loves.
Right? One of my buds has had two Ferraris keyed. He's about to order his next one in silver. Another friend had her RRover keyed. The go to paint shop has a lot of stories and says it's mostly done to brightly colored expensive cars. I'd have gone red, yellow or miami blue with the aerokit. But to mimimize the risk I'm GT Silver.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Looks like a fun build
Old 11-17-2020, 03:08 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Love the build.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:24 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Just a thread update. Talked to my SA again and I submitted my build.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM9RK3E1

The only other option I think I'm considering is the power folding mirrors. For $370, it could be cheap insurance against my kids running into them in the garage.
That’s really a driver-focused build! Like!
Old 11-17-2020, 04:06 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. If the stars align between Porsche, COVID and our kids' activity schedules, I'll be posting up some pics @ Road Atlanta next summer/fall.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:22 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Well, this has been a ****ty week in the automotive world for me, and I don't even have the CARB issue to deal with.

Tuesday, while taking my daughter to her rock climbing class, someone smashed in the rear driver's side window of my F350. The alarm went off and although the glove box was open, nothing was missing and the contents were not dumped on the floor, so I assume they got scared and fled after a brief search for guns or money. Lovely.

Then last nigh while searching for the URL to join the Porsche Experience anniversary event (which never arrived by email, btw), my SA calls to let me know Porsche had just contacted them and informed them that the aerokit is on a build hold. In order to get an aerokit car, anyone wanting to place an order must wait for a March allocation - so my December allocation will have to be abandoned and I'll have to wait for one in March if I want the aerokit, meaning a late May/early June delivery.

So, at this point my choices seem to be (assuming the aerokit is mandatory, which I think it is for us):
  1. Wait for a March allocation and get the car in May/June, 7-8 months after giving up my pre-trade
  2. Wait and order a 2022 GTS
  3. Buy a 991.2 GT3 or GT3RS - they have offered to trade for a car at another Porsche dealer or buy a used car and run it through CPO for me
  4. Take my trade credit as $$$ and walk away / go buy something else

Not really thrilled with any of these choices.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:22 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Oh man. I assume the aerokit can't be done as a mod? If it were me I'd accept the delay and wait until May/June, as disappointing as that is. Just having received a 35 day delay on my now March delivery, as did at least one other member, I suspect supply chain interruptions will become increasingly common.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:30 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, this has been a ****ty week in the automotive world for me, and I don't even have the CARB issue to deal with.

Tuesday, while taking my daughter to her rock climbing class, someone smashed in the rear driver's side window of my F350. The alarm went off and although the glove box was open, nothing was missing and the contents were not dumped on the floor, so I assume they got scared and fled after a brief search for guns or money. Lovely.

Then last nigh while searching for the URL to join the Porsche Experience anniversary event (which never arrived by email, btw), my SA calls to let me know Porsche had just contacted them and informed them that the aerokit is on a build hold. In order to get an aerokit car, anyone wanting to place an order must wait for a March allocation - so my December allocation will have to be abandoned and I'll have to wait for one in March if I want the aerokit, meaning a late May/early June delivery.

So, at this point my choices seem to be (assuming the aerokit is mandatory, which I think it is for us):
  1. Wait for a March allocation and get the car in May/June, 7-8 months after giving up my pre-trade
  3. Buy a 991.2 GT3 or GT3RS - they have offered to trade for a car at another Porsche dealer or buy a used car and run it through CPO for me

ugh. i've got an aerokit on my build too. i've never had center-lock wheels before and from my understanding it can be a bit of a hassle if one encounters a flat on a road trip as not all tire places are equipped to change those. that's kept me from making that leap.

i wouldn't entertain option 4. i'd regret it because to me there's really nothing quite like a Porsche in terms of driving enjoyment/usability/performance.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:04 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

If the aerokit is that important, then it seems it's worth waiting for.

That being said if you are waiting that long, the GT3 should be out before the GTS which will have all the goodies already as standard EQ since you are considering getting into a 991 GT3/RS

I think if you proceed with your build now, you will be disappointed you didn't wait for what you really wanted in the first place.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

How about a combination of 3 and 2?

Get a GT3/RS now, and also place an order for the 992 GTS, and when the 992 GTS is delivered, you can trade in your GT3/RS.

You probably won't lose much on the GT3/RS as most (but certainly not all) of the depreciation has already been baked in to the price.

This way, you get to experience two great cars, without suffering too much $$ damage.

Sorry to hear about your truck.
Russian Mafia (12-10-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 04:54 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chong0
If the aerokit is that important, then it seems it's worth waiting for.

That being said if you are waiting that long, the GT3 should be out before the GTS which will have all the goodies already as standard EQ since you are considering getting into a 991 GT3/RS

I think if you proceed with your build now, you will be disappointed you didn't wait for what you really wanted in the first place.
You might be right, but here's the kicker - I think the 992 GT3 looks awful. They went from, IMHO, the best looking Porsche ever built (991.2 GT3RS) to the worst looking Porsche (992 GT3) since the 996 hit the market with its runny eggs.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How about a combination of 3 and 2?

Get a GT3/RS now, and also place an order for the 992 GTS, and when the 992 GTS is delivered, you can trade in your GT3/RS.

You probably won't lose much on the GT3/RS as most (but certainly not all) of the depreciation has already been baked in to the price.

This way, you get to experience two great cars, without suffering too much $$ damage.

Sorry to hear about your truck.
That is a possibility. If I could pick up a 2018 GT3 for roughly what I was going to spend on the C2S, drive it for a year or so and then trade it on a 2022 GTS without taking a bath on the dual trades (GT350 > 991.2 GT3 > 992 GTS), I would have to give that serious consideration.

Quick Reply: Back in the market again