Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Countermeasures install! (Photo Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 PM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Location: 21620 Ridgetop Circle, Suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
Received 165 Likes on 57 Posts
Lightbulb 992 Countermeasures install! (Photo Heavy)

We just wrapped up a very in depth installation for an out of state client that I thought some of you would be interested in.

The design brief called for maximum protection against Lidar (specifically Dragon eye laser guns) for both front and rear of the 992, After years of testing various countermeasure systems we have arrived at the AL Priority system. This system is constantly updated and in our opinion is the absolute best defense against modern Laser guns and speed cameras. Especially the newer Dragon Eye systems. We also rely on Net radar for radar needs.

The layout we decided on for the 992 would incorporate two RX heads (receive & transmit) as well as one TX head (higher power transmit) into both the front and rear of the car. We used an add on Net Radar package in the nose as well for radar coverage.

Once we had confirmed potential mounting locations we 3D scanned those areas to assist in the design for the enclosures.

We always try to balance functionality with aesthetics when planning an installation. We decided the best place for the front RX sensors would be right above the running light housings. The front TX head and Radar would hide behind our Perspex license plate surround on the front bumper (sadly this car had a front plate but certainly made hiding components easier.

In the rear we were able to hide the RX sensors under the rear wing in the plastic snap in panels above the taillights. when the wing is lowered there is absolutely no evidence of installation. Even with the wing in its lifted high speed configuration it's almost impossible to make them out. The rear TX sensor fit nicely inside the (C) in the rear PORSCHE lettering. This again is almost invisible unless you know it's there.

Once all enclosure design was complete we ran it through some simulations so we could be reasonably certain we didn't have any (punch through areas) after this we moved into 3D Printing. The material selected was Carbon fiber reinforced nylon, this was selected for the high strength to weight ratio and the resistance to temperature related expansion and shrinkage.

The front Licence plate surround is milled from Black Perplex, this allows the radar and TX sensor to see through the frame and also be invisible to the eye.

All Wiring runs were shortened to needs and wrapped in heat resistant mesh loom material.

All 4 Custom RX housings printed and fitment validated

all 4 custom RX heads

Rear RX head

Rear RX head

Front and rear enclosures in finishing

Perpex molded into the enclosure

Finish and painted (Perspex will be polished

Perspex molded into front RX sensor housings

Partially assembled rear and front housings

A negative was 3d Printed to use as a template. this is the only spot within 2mm that the whole housing could pass through and maintain proper orientation for the sensor

Dremel it out....

Perfect!!!

Rear RX Sensor housing passenger side

Rear RX sensor housing passenger side

Rear RX sensor housing drivers side

all 3 rear sensors showing 2X RX sensors under the rear wing....TX sensor cut out in the (C)

I designed a Milled Perspex Licence plate surround that would allow the passthrough or radar and Laser emissions. It has the areas Radar and TX sensor milled down even further to have minimal impact on sensitivity

The plate surround in the flesh

Rear view, Front plate is notched to allow sensors to pass through

Sneaky front plate frame cutouts

sneaky sneaky....

And on the bumper....

Finished...Nothing to see here , move along.....

Front RX sensor pods passed through the bumper

Another View of the front RX sensor pod

Front end from a few feet away......

Everything hidden away in the car, The system communicates via bluetooth to your chosen device.

If anyone has any questions please ask away!
GlasWerksDMV on Instagram
21620 Ridgetop circle, suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
001-571-370-8500
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST
The following 8 users liked this post by GlasWerksDMV:
Auto Paint (09-24-2020), detansinn (01-23-2021), evanbahr (12-01-2023), Jeff Whitten (11-24-2023), jfr0317 (09-17-2020), rhr992c4s (09-17-2020), Schwarz992C4S (09-19-2020), tourenwagen (11-27-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:18 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Looks awesome as close to OEM as one could get. All is missing is a rotating plate from the DB5 on Goldfinger. I may borrow your rear plate setup to install my rear dash cam, that sits near the internal rear view mirror (mine is a cab, rear window is not an option).

Shame I live in a state that forbids laser jamming. The detection by itself is not very useful, just a heads up that you'll get a ticket...
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
GlasWerksDMV (09-17-2020), markchristenson (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:26 PM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Looks awesome as close to OEM as one could get. All is missing is a rotating plate from the DB5 on Goldfinger. I may borrow your rear plate setup to install my rear dash cam, that sits near the internal rear view mirror (mine is a cab, rear window is not an option).

Shame I live in a state that forbids laser jamming. The detection by itself is not very useful, just a heads up that you'll get a ticket...
Thankyou! Let us know if we can help
Old 09-17-2020, 10:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

The detection by itself is not very useful, just a heads up that you'll get a ticket...
That's the least of your problems if you get caught speeding with this stuff in Virginia. A high-stakes game, with a very real incentive to just run from the cop.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That's the least of your problems if you get caught speeding with this stuff in Virginia. A high-stakes game, with a very real incentive to just run from the cop.
Illinois is not much better. Depending on speed and zone, Class A or B misdemeanor, 1 and 6 moths in jail, theoretically. In theory bc your lawyer will get it all dismissed for the proper amount of money. Caveat if that you're caught at triple digits, you will leave in handcuffs.
I'm all for countermeasures, but be aware that a cop can visually calculate your speed and that's acceptable in court, at least in Illinois.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (11-27-2023)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:06 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Illinois is not much better. Depending on speed and zone, Class A or B misdemeanor, 1 and 6 moths in jail, theoretically. In theory bc your lawyer will get it all dismissed for the proper amount of money. Caveat if that you're caught at triple digits, you will leave in handcuffs.
I'm all for countermeasures, but be aware that a cop can visually calculate your speed and that's acceptable in court, at least in Illinois.
Sorry, nothing compares to Virginia. There is no other state that is as strict and brutal when it comes to enforcement. It’s also the only state where the use of radar detectors is illegal.

Google and you will find some horror stories. Here’s a good one...
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053

There’s a reason that rallies avoid the state.

The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
russbert (09-19-2020), sexfiend (01-29-2021)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Sorry, nothing compares to Virginia. There is no other state that is as strict and brutal when it comes to enforcement. It’s also the only state where the use of radar detectors is illegal.

Google and you will find some horror stories. Here’s a good one...
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053

There’s a reason that rallies avoid the state.
After six years there, I moved to the Delaware Beach. Virginia is a nasty place to live besides the cops. Taxes are just insane in Northern Virginia, and add Reston Association and Reston Cluster fees on top of that and you can see the money pouring out of your account. It is a state with beautiful spots like Skyline Drive, but I enjoy driving in PA more. Rt 44 from Lock Haven to the NY border is one of the nicest in the country. For hiking, Ricketts Glen is the most beautiful place I’ve found on earth any season of the year.

MD seems to be okay, but my Cayman getting keyed in Baltimore still pushes it down the list. I was pulled over for doing 65 in a 50, trooper said “nice car” and gave me a warning. That was a good thing.

Okay, to sum up, Virginia bad, PA and DE good. MD - meh.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
detansinn (09-18-2020), dhirm5 (09-18-2020), michael818 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:05 AM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

Come to NC....
GlasWerksDMV (11-16-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:07 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Anyway, kudos to GlasWerks. That is some incredible dedication to an install!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
detansinn (09-18-2020), GlasWerksDMV (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Agreed. It's a pretty incredible install.
GlasWerksDMV (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Amazing. I like how the sensors are all encased and hidden. Not mounted directly. Also the sensors under the wing are a great idea. You wouldn’t really need rear jammers at lower speeds when the wing is down anyways.
GlasWerksDMV (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Amazing. I like how the sensors are all encased and hidden. Not mounted directly. Also the sensors under the wing are a great idea. You wouldn’t really need rear jammers at lower speeds when the wing is down anyways.
...and when you do get pulled over, there are no tell tale signs of a jammer being installed.
Stealth is important, because these devices are illegal in California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

When you're doing the cross country roadtrip in the United States, know the laws of the states that you're traversing through. For example, reckless driving speed thresholds vary pretty wildly.
Pman911 (11-24-2023)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I am curious as to those who don't need a front plate and don't want to install the front plate bracket.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:43 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks Dan! and we agree VA isn't the best place to exercise the right pedal
detansinn (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:47 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Thankyou Sir, Our thoughts exactly and then if you were ever to get stopped the wing would be in the down position and...Poof no sensors. Would have to be a very car knowledgeable person to even know the wing goes up.

Quick Reply: 992 Countermeasures install! (Photo Heavy)