Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type SVR or 992 Carrera S / 4S ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:31 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

I could not live with the asinine farting noises the F-Type makes.
The following users liked this post:
politeperson (09-17-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 11:18 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

I have several friends who owned various Jaguar F-Types who had build quality issues - things like seat stitching coming apart during warranty and interior plastics breaking, and Jaguar refusing warranty replacement. The F-Type SVR als doesn’t have the handling to keep up with the 911 on track or back roads, and doesn’t have the power to keep up with an AMG GT S or GT C despite what numbers on paper say.

I you want an outlandish looking front engine grand tourer with power, sound, and a really nice interior, get an AMG GT. I used to have an AMG GT S, and had a great time with it. That car made great noises, had super sharp high speed handling, and lots of power without the torque being overwhelming or unusable. Quite a beautiful and unique looking car, particularly when specced right. It was also an attention magnet, for better or worse. I got lots of comments on it, and had many instances of people taking pictures or videos of it when just driving around, while I haven’t had that reaction in any Porsche. Used AMG GT S are great value, and good deals can be had on AMG GT C and R too.

If you want a more refined, practical, agile/nimble, comfortable, controllable, and well built car that can also blend into the crowd (unless you get it in a jelly bean colour), get a 992 S.

One other option to consider: a 718 GT4 or Spyder. A bit slower than the others in a straight line, and in stock form the sports exhaust is electronically restricted below 50 km/h or 3700 RPM (whichever is higher), but I’m loving the Spyder I just traded my AMG GT S for. Amazing handling, good feedback through the chassis and steering, the tossability of a smaller car, perfect and instant throttle response, and great sound above 4K RPM. Both PDK and manual options are available for it now.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:49 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

the SVR is a notch below and not comparable to a 992. I would take base no option 992 over any SVR which to me is conceptually like a civic type R.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

There's a young youtuber based in California who chases exotic cars on the streets and car meets, who boasts about his SVR's obnoxious exhaust. So, if you're okay with that...
Old 09-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

So I currently own an F-type granted not the SVR, or even R for that matter, I have a highly optioned V6S, which in my opinion is actually a lot more comparable to a porsche then the R or SVR. I love my F-type, I think the looks and sounds are the best part, but I also think the wing looks horrible on the SVR and my V6s looks a lot better without it, I also think the v6 sounds a lot smoother and better then the obnoxious "noise" the R makes. The Zf 8 spd is great for an auto, you can't compare it to pdk, not even close, the handling is great on mine, much lighter front end then the R/SVR, and I have Michelin PS4's which helped. Compared to my buddies 17 C2 the breaks on my f-type are a lot better, Granted I have the upgraded F-type R breaks on my car, 376/380mm, which are actually a lot more suited to the S then the R. I think the Jaguar invokes great emotion and curb appeal with the right spec is down right sexy. My car is a great amount of fun but at the end of the day, it is not a 911. The materials in my Jag are a lot better then my buddies C2 W/O full leather, but the quality is a lot higher in the Porsche. Another note, my car has had horrible reliability, I mean close to 80k in warranty work in under 2 years. From exhaust systems, cats, fuel pump, water pump, convertible top, to a new motor. and lots of trim, both seat heaters melted the seat foam. Overall the Jaguar is an amazing GT car, its comfy, fun, will easily do 170mph in my trim, AWD so very usable (LOL IN FLORIDA) but overall the 992 is a much better car, and I don't think you can compare to two, if you are looking for a high quality precise tool, the 911 is the way to go, if you want a fun easy to drive, sexy top down cruiser with an amazing sound (absolutely stunning on the highway at high RPM) the Jag is great for that. ( btw I've driven 991.2 and 992 a lot for a non owner, over 5 hours of seat time in each this year, also the jag sucks at the track, too heavy, too much understeer. 911 is much better on the track.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

If you are considering the Jag I would recommend cruising the Jag forums. You will learn a lot from owners similar to what you get from this forum. And they are actual owners not just speculators.

I'm not a fan of the Jag's but that may be a hold over from some of the quality and fit and finish problems of the past. One of my neighbors has an F-Type, car sounds great and is nice looking. For me after 13 Pcars (am I drinking the Kool Aid, by the gallons) I just love what the Porsche cars can do performance wise and how they can be driven every day for thousands and thousands of miles.

Good luck with the search.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:02 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

My friend, @carguycollective on Instagram, has one and happens to be Nick Murray’s neighbor. Check out his account.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

I like the SVR; its a super cool car. Go with your heart. Now, I am a Porsche person, particularly a 911 person - so my money will always go only one way.
The following users liked this post:
Farmlyf (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM
jdwoodbury
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a not dissimilar position a year ago, I looked at the SVR and a new C63S Coupe...both had that noise which stirred my emotions. I went for the C63S in the end as the tech was much better than the F-Type and I felt the interior was a touch dated also, 12 months later I have a deposit down for the 992. In short the 922 is a class act the other 2 cannot follow, yes you don't get a bellowing V8 but in every other area the 992 is ahead, and once you have lived with the car a while that's what really matters. Both the F-Type and the C63 were built to a price (they have several lower cost platforms), although they are $100k+ cars, the 992 on the other hand feels like the evolution of the sports car it is, and built just to be one thing. I don't think there is any such thing as the wrong choice, I love the variety of my eclectic car journey...but I am really hoping that the 992 will be the pinnacle of my sports car ownership so far.

The only answer is to try both and determine how you want a car to make you feel, and in which circumstances.

Last edited by jdwoodbury; 09-14-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:01 AM
rsqrd1
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard for me to say; I have a 2015 F-Type Coupe R and a 2002 996 Turbo. I guess buy going used, I can afford both.
The F-Type is an awesome car, but it is no 911 for sure. Of course, the 2015 was the last RWD, and with 550HP it can be a handful to learn to drive properly.
The 996 Turbo is awesome car, but is is 10+ years behind the F-Type, so it is a bit of apples-to-oranges I think... And, the 911 can be a handful to learn to drive properly.

The 911 model has grown over the years and though some might disagree, I think it just gets better and better.
Jags in general have been in a state of automotive vicissitudes, but as far as the F-Type they have got it right and I am happy with the RWD as it is fun to drive for me.

If you have had 911s in the past and never a Jag, I might recommend the Jag; but save up cause you will want a 911 again at some point.
If you have never had 911s, no contest... get the P-car...

(if ever there was a place to type these letters, this is it: YMMV)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:01 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
Another note, my car has had horrible reliability, I mean close to 80k in warranty work in under 2 years. From exhaust systems, cats, fuel pump, water pump, convertible top, to a new motor. and lots of trim, both seat heaters melted the seat foam.
Holy smokes that's unreal. Thank god for the warranty.

And I agree - in many ways the V6 is the more appealing option.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:28 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Hey Gang - I'm thinking of either car right now and wanted your input.

Jaguar F-Type SVR - looks amazing, Supercharged V8 exhaust is brutal - but I feel thats about it. From my test drive, the drive was " okay " - but thing amazing. I think of this as more of a muscle cursing car, not a canyon carver. Sound, and looks win for this.

Porsceh 992 Carrera S - looks good, not amazing. Exhaust note is meh, but the driving experience is much better. Overall fit & finish of the car is superior as well.

I feel like the Jaguar pulls at my hear strings, while the 992 is the car I choose with my mind.

So what do you prefer? V8 intoxicating rumble and looks -vs- Amazing handling & quality ?

I had the 2014 F Type V8S and then traded it in for 2015 V8S (all RWD). Then I got a 2018 911 Carrera and now 2020 911S (I know too many cars)

The FType V8S was very reliable to me (had zero issues but I only did 24k miles).
The car can be fun as it slides very easily and it terms of looks, still looks great. But 992 chassis is way better (should be as its way newer while Jag is from 2015).

If leasing Jaguar can be worth it but if buying, 992 is a way better option.

Here is my old review of FType vs 991
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...ftype-v8s.html
Old 09-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Porschefection
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Asking this on a Porsche forum will get you a particular type of answer

Choose the Porsche of course
Old 09-14-2020, 06:54 PM
mdgrwl
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 71 Posts

I decided against the Jag. Test drove it again, this time right after hopping out of a Carrera 4S and I must say... yeah, the Jag felt sloppy after an A/B comparison like that.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, steering me in the right direction.
The following 3 users liked this post by mdgrwl:
detansinn (09-14-2020), rk-d (09-14-2020), Tanqueray86 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:13 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

One small thing - at 6'3" when I went into our local Jag dealer to look at an F-Type the sales person looked at me and straight away said likely I wouldn't fit. He was right.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type SVR or 992 Carrera S / 4S ?