991.2 Carrera Base 2 Month ownership update vs Jaguar FType V8S

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 05:30 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 991.2 Carrera Base 2 Month ownership update vs Jaguar FType V8S

Dear all,

I would like to share my thoughts on 2-month anniversary of 991.2 Carrera ownership vs Jaguar FType V8S. I mostly drive Jag to train station on weekdays or NYC, while Carrera on weekends.

There are significant differences between the two cars and I am very fortunate to have them both.

Carrera highlights:

· Carrera feels like a proper sports car with superior handling and stickier on corners than the Jag. The wife (from passenger seat) claims Porsche feels safer while the Jag feels like it would flip over.

· Electronics are superior when compared to the Jag

· Carrera factory exhaust (non-pse) is terrible (Porsche should bake PSE into MSRP)

· The base model feels slow (maybe my gear changing skills) when compared with Jag

· My kids can fit in the backseat (for an hour trip) hence it can be a family car

· The pebble noise at low speeds is super annoying

Jaguar F-Type V8S (convertible) highlights:

· The Jag seems more fun than the Carrera in my opinion with oversteer galore

· Tons of power and you need to make sure tires are warm before hitting full throttle even on a straight line as the rear would start sliding

· The Jag OEM exhaust is awesome (scares jay walking pedestrians and Lance Armstrong wannabe’s out of the way)

· On track, the Jag can get hairy on corners but I suspect Carrera will be better (will do track in a month).

· Fit and finish on Jag is very close to Porsche with latter has a mild edge

Essentially British muscle car vs precision German scalpel

Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Loved the Type F, particularly in coupe form. It is an achingly gorgeous car. Personally, I had major issues with the seat, just not enough legroom, and I'm 5'10". My choice would have been the R AWD Coupe.
Compared with the Jag's automatic and supercharged V8, lighting off from a stoplight, the Porsche will feel slower at first. Even with the turbos, first gear runs out quickly and you need to get used to flogging it a bit. My last car was a twin turbo Mercedes V8, that car was amazing from a standstill. The 911 all day long for handling and just sublime, fun driving.
I did own a Jag about 14 years ago (XJ8), liked it but wasn't thrilled. Ultimately, I went with the base 991.2, 7MT (GT Silver) and I'm very happy. Feels like quality (even with the pebble noise) and mine has been problem free for over a year.
You are super fortunate to have both cars, particularly a coupe and cabriolet. Enjoy them both.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Always nice to read another perspective. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

You have great taste in cars!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

My neighbor across the street has an F-type convertible too. The rumble that exhaust makes when starting the engine is epic!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
My neighbor across the street has an F-type convertible too. The rumble that exhaust makes when starting the engine is epic!
Every time I hear one my ears perk up.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 AM
tvad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"· The base model feels slow"

Is this comment based on driving in normal mode or Sport mode?

I find driving my 991.1 rather lethargic in anything but Sport mode.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:05 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tvad

Curious on this too. I’ve a base manual and driven a C7 Stingray with the 460hp motor. The Vette is quicker but the base 991.2 doesn’t feel slow to me even after that!

Great comparison by the way!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:24 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A buddy of mine went from a Cayman S to an F-Type R, his comment was scalpel vs sledgehammer.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:55 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
You have great taste in cars!
Thank you
Old 05-07-2018, 03:56 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tvad

I thought for manual, sport and normal doesn't change much
Old 05-07-2018, 06:06 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by sali1980
.........The Jag OEM exhaust is awesome (scares jay walking pedestrians and Lance Armstrong wannabe’s out of the way).........
says a lot.

I will admit to looking at the F type before getting my car. Beautiful car, nice sound, although I don't try to scare people with my exhaust.

I am a cyclist by the way, a father, brother and uncle too, like most other cyclists. You may want to remember that when you go scaring Lance Armstrong wannabe's.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

There is a root canal guy who lives in my neighborhood and drives an F type R. He knows how to torture people in more ways than one. Extremely annoying. Don’t understand this obsession with loud exhausts. Just keep it in the car. People outside are not interested in listening to the farting exhausts. And I am a cyclist. Would rather listen to the birds in spring and summer mornings than the manufactured sounds from a frickin car.

Last edited by AnandN; 05-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:18 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sali1980
Dear all,

I would like to share my thoughts on 2-month anniversary of 991.2 Carrera ownership vs Jaguar FType V8S. I mostly drive Jag to train station on weekdays or NYC, while Carrera on weekends.

There are significant differences between the two cars and I am very fortunate to have them both.

Carrera highlights:

· Carrera feels like a proper sports car with superior handling and stickier on corners than the Jag. The wife (from passenger seat) claims Porsche feels safer while the Jag feels like it would flip over.

· Electronics are superior when compared to the Jag

· Carrera factory exhaust (non-pse) is terrible (Porsche should bake PSE into MSRP)

· The base model feels slow (maybe my gear changing skills) when compared with Jag

· My kids can fit in the backseat (for an hour trip) hence it can be a family car

· The pebble noise at low speeds is super annoying

Jaguar F-Type V8S (convertible) highlights:

· The Jag seems more fun than the Carrera in my opinion with oversteer galore

· Tons of power and you need to make sure tires are warm before hitting full throttle even on a straight line as the rear would start sliding

· The Jag OEM exhaust is awesome (scares jay walking pedestrians and Lance Armstrong wannabe’s out of the way)

· On track, the Jag can get hairy on corners but I suspect Carrera will be better (will do track in a month).

· Fit and finish on Jag is very close to Porsche with latter has a mild edge

Essentially British muscle car vs precision German scalpel
I looked at both cars too, as well as an AMG GT's. I ended up with a 991.2 GTS.

The handling on the 991 was superior, IMO, to all the above, but I personally felt the base to be not quite sporty enough for me. The S felt significantly faster and the GTS even more so. The practicality of the Porsche is also excellent. I drive my car almost daily and theres no task, within reason, I have tried to undertake where it wasn't able to handle it.

Nice review and nice cars!

Originally Posted by JustBud
says a lot.

I will admit to looking at the F type before getting my car. Beautiful car, nice sound, although I don't try to scare people with my exhaust.

I am a cyclist by the way, a father, brother and uncle too, like most other cyclists. You may want to remember that when you go scaring Lance Armstrong wannabe's.
He's just joking, relax. He's not trying to run down cyclists in his F Type, its only a comment on the exhaust volume.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
He's just joking, relax. He's not trying to run down cyclists in his F Type, its only a comment on the exhaust volume.
I get the joke, no need to tell me to relax.

I've been hit by a car and lost friends to car/bike accidents. I've also had people try to scare me with yelling/horns/showing their great exhaust. It's not fun in the least when someone gives you a fly by at 70 mph revving their motor while they're six inches away from your handlebars. I've see it cause someone to crash because they're startled and they react. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when I see people refer to cyclists as "Armstrong wannabe's", a little dismissive don't you think? Those folks tend to be the people I've just described. Maybe I came off a bit strong, if so, I apologize. It's just a battle that I fight every time I ride my bike.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera Base 2 Month ownership update vs Jaguar FType V8S