Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type SVR or 992 Carrera S / 4S ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
One small thing - at 6'3" when I went into our local Jag dealer to look at an F-Type the sales person looked at me and straight away said likely I wouldn't fit. He was right.
My best friend is 6.4, but a skinny ****, my F-type has the sport seats, not the performance seats, and even all the way pushed back, he's pretty miserable driving it for over an hour, but as a passenger he says it's acceptable.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:03 PM
need2speed
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4 and have a 2015 F-Type R. I fit but could use a little more room. It's not comfortable for long drives. The 911 is definitely more comfortable for me. I decided to go with the F-type R over a 991 911 because I like the styling and the sound. I am not a fan of the exhaust pops but I love the exhaust note when it's not popping. People always want to hear the exhaust at Cars & Coffee events or even in grocery store and mall parking lots. The car gets a lot of attention on the road. I haven't had any problems with the car but it's not a daily driver for me so the miles are low. I work from home so I don't drive often plus I have a truck that I sometimes choose to drive depending on where I'm going. I've decided that I'm ready for a 992 911 C2S cab so I'll probably trade the F-type R in next year. I'm telling myself that I will keep my next car for a long time and I think that the 911 is the perfect car to enjoy for many years.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:13 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

"But it's a jaaaggg...." - Jeremy Clarkson
I agree the F-type is one sexy car, but the sales manager at our local Jag/LR dealer who is also a personal friend immediately talked me out of it (mostly based on quality and horrible depreciation on the Jag). 992 is a safe and fairly easy decision, though I'm rooting for Jag to keep profitability & market share...love seeing them on the road.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:27 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

The last Jaguar I thought was cool was the XJ12 back in the '80s. I've never really liked the modern ones. Not trying to dump on the OP's question or taste, but he did ask for opinions :-)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:16 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

It sort of dates back to Jags having ford switch gear, my experience of jags is limited to some my dad had, you can have a supercharged v8 and it sound like an atomic bomb going off, but it’s still BMW (I have an f10 m5 which goes when the 992 arrives) level, not Porsche level.

The 992 will make you happy, the Jag will eventually disappoint IMHO.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwoodbury
I had a not dissimilar position a year ago, I looked at the SVR and a new C63S Coupe...both had that noise which stirred my emotions. I went for the C63S in the end as the tech was much better than the F-Type and I felt the interior was a touch dated also, 12 months later I have a deposit down for the 992. In short the 922 is a class act the other 2 cannot follow, yes you don't get a bellowing V8 but in every other area the 992 is ahead, and once you have lived with the car a while that's what really matters. Both the F-Type and the C63 were built to a price (they have several lower cost platforms), although they are $100k+ cars, the 992 on the other hand feels like the evolution of the sports car it is, and built just to be one thing. I don't think there is any such thing as the wrong choice, I love the variety of my eclectic car journey...but I am really hoping that the 992 will be the pinnacle of my sports car ownership so far.

The only answer is to try both and determine how you want a car to make you feel, and in which circumstances.
a few years ago I was also deciding between and SVR and a C63S coupe. I, too, went with the Benz. Guess I wasn’t the only one cross-shopping the two. The 992 is on another level to either of those.

Last edited by Drizz; 09-16-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type SVR or 992 Carrera S / 4S ?