Sponsored by:

C2S Steering Characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
Default C2S Steering Characteristics?

I was re-watching Chris Harris's review of the 992 C2S from his drive @ Hockenheimring, and he mentions that he likes the way the steering "loads up" in the corners. Can anyone enlighten me as to what Chris is describing?

Overall, I hear that the C2S steering has a nice "weight" to it, yet the steering also has a "lightness" to it. I'm struggling to reconcile these characteristics coexisting...please, help a non-owner like myself better understand how these descriptions make sense together. I'd go drive one myself, but I don't have access to one at the moment.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Porsche has improved the steering input & feel by 10% over the last generation. It’s been likened to the .2 GT3 in terms of steering feel & the 45mm wider front track helps with bite into the corners.
The following users liked this post:
findtom (09-15-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 03:41 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by smiles11
Porsche has improved the steering input & feel by 10% over the last generation. It’s been likened to the .2 GT3 in terms of steering feel & the 45mm wider front track helps with bite into the corners.
So when the steering "loads up," does that translate to increased weight or resistance through the wheel mid-corner? I know am asking for an interpretation of what a car reviewer said, but I figured the description Chris gave may make sense to those of y'all that have a fair amount of time with the C2S at this point.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

This is why the 992 Steering is improved over the 991 generation.

1. Wider front track
2. Lower front rake (given the staggered setup of the wheels 20/21)

There's talk of software improvement and changes, but in terms of mechanical changes (which I think make the most difference) those are the major ones.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
So when the steering "loads up," does that translate to increased weight or resistance through the wheel mid-corner? I know am asking for an interpretation of what a car reviewer said, but I figured the description Chris gave may make sense to those of y'all that have a fair amount of time with the C2S at this point.
Due to the rake of the car given the 20/21 staggered setup.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:20 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Chris is describing the way the steering feels as the tires load up during the turn. The weight transfers from the inner wheel to the outer wheel and the suspension loads up under the weight transfer. If the steering is over powering the feel of this weight transfer, you get a numb feeling as if nothing is happening. More sensitive steering systems give you a more analogue feel so you can sense how much load is on the front tires side to side. This helps as you navigate the corner to know when the outer tire is slipping which can be corrected by opening up the wheel (counter steering) tracking out of the turn.

Last edited by inastrangeland; 09-04-2020 at 05:21 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by inastrangeland:
911-heaven (09-15-2020), findtom (09-15-2020), G650 (09-09-2020), Keith Morgan (09-15-2020), Marantz2270 (09-04-2020), mohawk5010 (09-15-2020), smiles11 (09-04-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Chris is describing the way the steering feels as the tires load up during the turn. The weight transfers from the inner wheel to the outer wheel and the suspension loads up under the weight transfer. If the steering is over powering the feel of this weight transfer, you get a numb feeling as if nothing is happening. More sensitive steering systems give you a more analogue feel so you can sense how much load is on the front tires side to side. This helps as you navigate the corner to know when the outer tire is slipping which can be corrected by opening up the wheel (counter steering) tracking out of the turn.
@inastrangeland Thanks so much for this explanation, very helpful for someone like me who is looking to learn more about these cars! Can the transmission of power to the front wheels in the 4S also overpower the feel of the weight transfer that you describe to create a feeling of numbness? I now recall Henry Catchpole (Carfection) describing the steering of the 4S as "muddy" in comparison to the 2S.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

@inastrangeland Thanks so much for this explanation, very helpful for someone like me who is looking to learn more about these cars! Can the transmission of power to the front wheels in the 4S also overpower the feel of the weight transfer that you describe to create a feeling of numbness? I now recall Henry Catchpole (Carfection) describing the steering of the 4S as "muddy" in comparison to the 2S.
...and yet, all of the reviewers have praised the steering of the Power Steering Plus equipped AWD Turbo S press cars. 🤣
There's nothing wrong with AWD 911 steering. Back with the 991.2 cars, a couple reviewers noted that the steering feel was better in the Carrera 4S than it was the 2S. With the 992, Henry's throwaway comment has some folks talking like there's a huge difference. Having driven both, there's practically no difference and it's certainly not something that should be driving a 2S/4S decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
dhull100 (09-06-2020), Marantz2270 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I recently drove both and I agree I like the C2S better. But thats what I expected. However in MN your DD needs AWD and the steering is still plenty awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by lucycan:
detansinn (09-06-2020), Marantz2270 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 03:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
...and yet, all of the reviewers have praised the steering of the Power Steering Plus equipped AWD Turbo S press cars. 🤣
There's nothing wrong with AWD 911 steering. Back with the 991.2 cars, a couple reviewers noted that the steering feel was better in the Carrera 4S than it was the 2S. With the 992, Henry's throwaway comment has some folks talking like there's a huge difference. Having driven both, there's practically no difference and it's certainly not something that should be driving a 2S/4S decision.
Really?

All of them? The PSP in the 992 Turbo S?

Not doubting you, but I'm surprised "all of the reviewers" have praised the PSP.

And, yes, the steering in the 991 C4/S was better than the equivalent in the 991 C2/S in part because there was more weight over the front axle (due to the additional FWD components), but now with the wider track and the decreased rake of the car, that advantage has essentially been nullified.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-06-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

So let me see:

First of all, I live in Southern California. The need for AWD is fairly rare for a DD. Go figure! If it's a matter of choosing which vehicle I'm going to take skiing or roaming the surrounding mountains during a snow storm, I have a 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee for that sort of abuse.

However . . .

Second, you can't get the extended range fuel tank with AWD. Then there's always the extra mechanical bits that add weight and stuff that might require attention down the road. Also, It's stuff that might well get in the way physically and thus make it more time ($) consuming for someone working on other things.

If I lived (God forbid!) where water could turn solid if left outside overnight at any time of the year . . . . my priorities and so my choice, would be quite different.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:02 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
So let me see:

First of all, I live in Southern California. The need for AWD is fairly rare for a DD. Go figure! If it's a matter of choosing which vehicle I'm going to take skiing or roaming the surrounding mountains during a snow storm, I have a 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee for that sort of abuse.

However . . .

Second, you can't get the extended range fuel tank with AWD. Then there's always the extra mechanical bits that add weight and stuff that might require attention down the road. Also, It's stuff that might well get in the way physically and thus make it more time ($) consuming for someone working on other things.

If I lived (God forbid!) where water could turn solid if left outside overnight at any time of the year . . . . my priorities and so my choice, would be quite different.

I live in that place. I have never had issues with RWD cars in the snow with really good snow tires. Of course, you get better traction with the same tires on an AWD car which I have also. Just saying, just being in a snow climate does not dictate the need for AWD. Purely up to the capabilities of the tires and driver.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

This seems to be a common topic in here, which is interesting.

Having driven both, the C2S felt lighter on the front end with a touch more feel and tossability. A bit more steering with the *** compared to the C4s. Of course, RAS changes those dynamics a bit.

Naturally, I went into the test drive with biases. If I was blinded to the car, would I be able to tell the difference? Probably, but not likely based on just the steering. I think RWD dynamics are a more significant difference than the steering feel.

The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
findtom (09-15-2020), tcirillo (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 05:06 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

There is a difference in steering feel between the AWD and RWD. Some prefer AWD others RWD. I happen to not like the way the AWD cars handle on the track, it's my preference. Others, who own AWD cars will argue the opposite, You have to drive both yourself and decide which you like better.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 06:25 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Am I alone in yearning for the steering in my old 997? Now I can’t speak for AWD vs. RWD in the 992, having only driven RWD examples, but that 997 (RWD S) was just sublime. So much feel, wonderfully weighted power assistance. The 992 is very very good for sure but.......flame suit on! I actually decided against rear-steering on my 992 to avoid outside interference in this area.

Quick Reply: C2S Steering Characteristics?