Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S Steering Characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:41 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

I can say it but I think some youtube videos do it better (although below is for 991)

basically the c2s has a lighter front by 50kg which is noticeable change of mass and weight balance in 911. 911 already has light front end so 50kg should be a big difference compared to a front engined car where 50kg is marginally less significant. this results in a 911 that is lighter in the front and more eager to change direction. this is just about the steering feel. c4s vs c2s has other key differences that add to the fun for many which is a c2s is much more tail happy and easy to slide the back out (if thats your thing). i only had a 992 c4s tester available so i saw pretty much every review of 992 i could find and all the reviewers who reviewed c2s raved about the steering improvement and compared the feel to 991 gt3 (including some gt3 owners who daily drive the gt3). on the other hand 991 c2s owners reviews of c4s said the car feels too fast and safe unless pushed hard when it comes alive.

so if you live/drive somewhere with snow/ice then c4s is the safe and prudent choice. otherwise it depends on your driving style and c4s would still be the choice for many who want the safety of awd in heavy rain or just don't care to slide the back every opportunity they get (like me). the 0.2 speed difference off the line won't really be noticeable by anyone unless you are into to drag racing cars (my last 3 cars had launch control and i never used it). if you find yourself using launch control all the time then maybe in the more temperate climate regions you want awd but if you track then maybe you want the ability to trail brake or powerlide more with a rwd car. depends on your style and priorities...

Last edited by rumnyc; 09-08-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:30 AM
mohawk5010
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt Farah said RAS does 2 things: Makes the car feel smaller at slow speeds, but like a longer wheelbase car at highway speeds. That line may have come from Porsche marketing.

I drove the 992 C4S with PCCB and no RAS in the Swiss Alps on the Furka Pass. Sublime experience, I took sharp hairpin turns quickly and never heard the tires chirp a complaint. I’m not sure RAS is necessary unless you’re going to track the car and need every 0.1 of a second. Then again, I loved PCCB and that’s also unnecessary.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:51 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mohawk5010
Matt Farah said RAS does 2 things: Makes the car feel smaller at slow speeds, but like a longer wheelbase car at highway speeds. That line may have come from Porsche marketing.

I drove the 992 C4S with PCCB and no RAS in the Swiss Alps on the Furka Pass. Sublime experience, I took sharp hairpin turns quickly and never heard the tires chirp a complaint. I’m not sure RAS is necessary unless you’re going to track the car and need every 0.1 of a second. Then again, I loved PCCB and that’s also unnecessary.
I believe the 'shorter at low speeds, longer at high speeds' is the simplified explanation of the physics behind it. I've heard all manufacturers use that explanation.

Most definitely do not need RAS. Other reasons are preference of how it feels and tight turning circle for city driving.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:42 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by mohawk5010

IMO, the only downside is cost. It doesn't fundamentally change the character of the car - it's a subtle feature. It's not a game changer. I like having it - I think it adds to the experience. If the budget doesn't allow RAS, I would not sweat it.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Keith Morgan
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm commenting from a position of a lack of experience with 911s, but, some observations after some track time:

Less numb than my c7z vette.
Barely a little more numb than my 718GTS, which just barely the best handling car I've ever driven, just above the 992S.

Observation: Somehow, while having plenty of "feel" for what's happening with the front tires sliding around the track, there was a lot less fatigue in my arms. So, in some set of "feel" tradeoffs made in geometry and steering assistance, the car is physically easier to drive at the edge, yet maintains plenty of "feel."

Summary of opinion: When I was asked by a fellow trackhound for my impressions on the 992S vs. the 718GTS, I responded with the following.

1. This thing is $%$^$*# FAST!
2. The handling is truly outstanding. I experienced none of the stereotype of 911 handling, meaning, it wasn't all tail-happy as so many people have told me 911s are.
3. It really just felt like my Cayman on acid.
4. THIS is what my C7Z should have been, but wasn't.

Last edited by Keith Morgan; 09-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keith Morgan:
Marantz2270 (09-16-2020), rumnyc (09-16-2020)

Quick Reply: C2S Steering Characteristics?