Sponsored by:

Creaking noise driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 01:34 PM
whitebeard
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise driving me nuts

Hi guys first time poster here with first time 911, a 992 Cab 4S, 2k km so far.

Got to say the driving dynamics of the car are everything I hoped for but I have found the build quality to be a bit so so for a car at this price and with the bullet build quality that is the 911 reputation. I have a number of rattles and squeaks but one in particular is driving me nuts. It's an intermittent creaking noise coming from what sounds like the steering wheel cowl or the lower dash behind the steering wheel or maybe behind the dash. No amount of prodding, pressing or other rattle detection techniques are helping. Seems to appear when cornering and on rougher surfaces. Needless to say the dealer can't replicate or more likely find the source.

Anyone here had anything similar or any particular suggestions? As I say I have had other rattles too, the rear seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat to name two. Not impressed with this on a €150k car. But the dash one is the worst.

I am loath to have the dealer take the dash out as previous experience with this type of major trim removal and refit might or might not find a fix but others issues can appear.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

WB

Old 08-18-2020, 01:51 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

If it's the same one, it typically happens while at certain low load range - e.g. around 2500-3000 rpm? Lots of users have reported it, no resolution that I'm aware of. It's almost like a groaning/creaking noise like metal expanding/contracting on a submarine.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:55 PM
whitebeard
7th Gear

Certainly in that kind of rev range and also a bit above but I would more describe it as a trim creaking type of noise but that said, no amount of pressing the various pieces of trim around the area the sound is coming from causes it to stop which makes me think it maybe coming from behind the dash.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

You might record the sound using your phone. Then have your dealer send the recording to Porsche.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:06 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I had similar issue with my 2019 Cayenne S, rattling noise from the passenger seat. I recorded, posted on YouTube, and showed it to my dealer. It took almost 1 week, but they fixed it, noise was 100% gone, and then there is different noise coming from the dash now. This one is not that annoying, so I decided to live with it. With 992, I saw from some review that many owners complain about the creaking noise from the dash, and he said it was the 1st model year production thing, Porsche would take note and make it better starting from 2021 model....
Old 08-20-2020, 01:27 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I experienced this exact creaking noise from what seemed to be under the steering wheel area, in the above quoted low load rpm range, particularly in sport mode. And, as previously mentioned, no amount of pressing on anything could help pin point the sound. This creaking noise was the last straw of a string of quality issues, as the car was frequently in the shop.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 116 Posts

Had the same issue. Dealership did a repair. Apparently this is a known issue with a known fix. Haven’t had anymore problems with mine.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:53 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
Had the same issue. Dealership did a repair. Apparently this is a known issue with a known fix. Haven’t had anymore problems with mine.
What is the "known" fix for this? please explain.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:31 PM
whitebeard
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S

Tell us please what the issue was and the fix!

Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 116 Posts

Apologize for the delay responding, needed to pull the RO.
Dealership found steering rack cover touching steering rack. Replaced 992-422-s73 dust cap and WHT-004-955-A torx screw 8x3 under warranty.

Good luck!

Last edited by Schwarz992C4S; 08-21-2020 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwarz992C4S:
gcurnew (08-21-2020), rumnyc (08-23-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:05 PM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Porsche has a service bulletin out on 992 steering wheel creek. I mentioned the creaking to the service department and they ordered the parts and repaired it. Not more creak.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:36 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

I've had an annoying creaking (rattling) noise for as long as I remember. First I thought it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard area, but then I realized it was coming from the roof area instead. I actually then went for a test drive together with a dealership technician as at first, they were not able to hear the sound at all when they did a test drive without me. As a result, we both agreed the sound was clearly coming from the roof area and booked a time for investigation and a fix. While waiting for the visit, I was able to narrow down the sound to clearly originate from the rear-view mirror panel (there might be other sounds too but this one is the worst). I took my car in yesterday, mentioned this to the technicians, and am now waiting for the fix.. Will report afterwards when I'm wiser!

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 09-07-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:54 PM
RxJedi
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have a “obnoxiously” loud rattle from the roof area, which on first appearance seemEd to originate from the door panels. But, after investigation and using foam wedges to isolate gaps, it is 1000% the under-layment attaches to the moonroof.

Any bump while driving, lane deflector, bass note, etc will cause a rattle that will make you think a piece of the vehicle is falling off. Radio is unusable, at any volume, and driving makes me think buying my first Porsche has become the worst vehicle purchase of my life. And after this being a “ bucket list” item, you can imagine how disappointed I am. Deeply shocking, and disappointing...

Called my local service department, and they said “minor noises are expected and not covered under warranty”. I challenge anyone to listen to the extent of this rattle, and tell me the same thing.

any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2020, 10:40 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by RxJedi
I still have a “obnoxiously” loud rattle from the roof area, which on first appearance seemEd to originate from the door panels. But, after investigation and using foam wedges to isolate gaps, it is 1000% the under-layment attaches to the moonroof.

Any bump while driving, lane deflector, bass note, etc will cause a rattle that will make you think a piece of the vehicle is falling off. Radio is unusable, at any volume, and driving makes me think buying my first Porsche has become the worst vehicle purchase of my life. And after this being a “ bucket list” item, you can imagine how disappointed I am. Deeply shocking, and disappointing...

Called my local service department, and they said “minor noises are expected and not covered under warranty”. I challenge anyone to listen to the extent of this rattle, and tell me the same thing.

any suggestions?
I would say “it’s not a minor noise” and schedule a service.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:57 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I would say “it’s not a minor noise” and schedule a service.
If you've been able to isolate where the noise is coming from and can replicate it in a road test with a service advisor/manager, it'll get fixed. If you don't get satisfaction from this dealer, move onto another one. FWIW, I had a similar noise coming from the sunroof (which I didn't order) in my first 911. It got fixed.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise driving me nuts