Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:38 AM
whitebeard
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is in the dealer at the moment. They asked to keep it for a few days as the diagnosis will happen in steps as they disassemble the dash and screens etc. I’ll report back on the hopeful fix.

To be fair to the dealer there was no argument after they had been in the car with me. The tech speculated could be an alignment issue with some components as the creaking seems to appear as the chassis flexes over undulating surfaces and corners.

Last edited by whitebeard; 09-08-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:05 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RxJedi
Called my local service department, and they said “minor noises are expected and not covered under warranty”. I challenge anyone to listen to the extent of this rattle, and tell me the same thing.

any suggestions?
I would definitely go ahead and get it serviced. I took my 991 in for service and I really appreciated how thorough and understanding they were for rattles/creaks (especially compared to my BMW experience). After addressing, they also kept it for a couple days when it was going to be much hotter to ensure it was not temp dependent.

You should get a survey from Porsche following the appointment. If they don't provide good service, provide negative feedback which they do care about.

Or you could just go to a different dealer
Old 09-08-2020, 11:37 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeard
Hi guys first time poster here with first time 911, a 992 Cab 4S, 2k km so far.

Got to say the driving dynamics of the car are everything I hoped for but I have found the build quality to be a bit so so for a car at this price and with the bullet build quality that is the 911 reputation. I have a number of rattles and squeaks but one in particular is driving me nuts. It's an intermittent creaking noise coming from what sounds like the steering wheel cowl or the lower dash behind the steering wheel or maybe behind the dash. No amount of prodding, pressing or other rattle detection techniques are helping. Seems to appear when cornering and on rougher surfaces. Needless to say the dealer can't replicate or more likely find the source.

Anyone here had anything similar or any particular suggestions? As I say I have had other rattles too, the rear seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat to name two. Not impressed with this on a €150k car. But the dash one is the worst.

I am loath to have the dealer take the dash out as previous experience with this type of major trim removal and refit might or might not find a fix but others issues can appear.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

WB
I occasionally hear a loud squawking noise coming from the passenger seat area. It also seems to provide driving advice.
The following 4 users liked this post by BudFox6:
Carsten Doil (11-29-2020), markchristenson (09-08-2020), Mercuriell (09-17-2020), TheGreatJ (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:09 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BudFox6
I occasionally hear a loud squawking noise coming from the passenger seat area. It also seems to provide driving advice.
Same here. But think for a while what would you do, if that sound suddenly stopped completely and never came back?
Old 09-09-2020, 10:01 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
I've had an annoying creaking (rattling) noise for as long as I remember. First I thought it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard area, but then I realized it was coming from the roof area instead. I actually then went for a test drive together with a dealership technician as at first, they were not able to hear the sound at all when they did a test drive without me. As a result, we both agreed the sound was clearly coming from the roof area and booked a time for investigation and a fix. While waiting for the visit, I was able to narrow down the sound to clearly originate from the rear-view mirror panel (there might be other sounds too but this one is the worst). I took my car in yesterday, mentioned this to the technicians, and am now waiting for the fix.. Will report afterwards when I'm wiser!
Most of my rattles were nearly fixed at the dealer. They did a great job on that sector this time. Part of the roof area noise apparently came from the moonroof mechanism to which they had given proper maintenance, lubrication etc. Some noise is still coming from the panel behind the mirror as mentioned before, but before they can fix it, they need to order some parts that will get broken while opening it. They had also added some insulation inside the doors, as some rattles were originating from there. All in all, I am pretty happy with how quiet the interior currently is. Hope it lasts!

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 09-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:54 PM
whitebeard
7th Gear

I got the car back from the shop, without the creak, for about 20 miles and its back. They reported a component behind the dash was loose. Its going back for a second try.

Am I the only one that experiences this as a very rattly creaky car? Maybe its my expectation thats wrong.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Keith Morgan
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess I'm an oddball. Yeah, I know the car's really expensive. And I definitely have some creaks and rattles. But I don't care. With the sport-exhaust at 6000 RPMs, I can't hear any of them. And that's worth the price to me.
The following users liked this post:
dribar (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:30 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

I got the car back from the shop, without the creak, for about 20 miles and its back. They reported a component behind the dash was loose. Its going back for a second try.

Am I the only one that experiences this as a very rattly creaky car? Maybe its my expectation thats wrong.
Since your description about the noise and when it occurs sounds similar to mine, ask your dealer to check the moonroof (should you have one) and try to listen, with your ear as close as possible, to the rear-view mirror if any sounds originate from the panel it's attached to. Originally, I too had a really hard time figuring out where the rattles were coming from, until by pure luck I happened to lift my head up to the vicinity of that area, exactly while the noise occurred, and thus was able to establish it as the culprit. At first, I thought the sounds were coming from somewhere in the glovebox/dash area, front seats, back seats etc.. Extremely difficult to localize for some reason, although obvious once you realize it!
Old 09-17-2020, 05:32 PM
whitebeard
7th Gear

Mine is a cab. Definitely not the roof!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Mine is a cab. Definitely not the roof!
Ok, that was easily ruled out then. Check the mirror panel though!
Old 11-28-2020, 07:10 PM
Kyle R McHenry
2nd Gear

Default Where in SoCal

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
Ok, that was easily ruled out then. Check the mirror panel though!
I live in SoCal and these rattles have been my only complaint with my 2020 911 C2S.

Anybody know where the best dealership is down here to ACTUALLY fix this stuff?

Irvine = no fix and screwdriver gouge to my dash
South Bay = we don’t hear it

?? open to any suggestions within reasonable driving distance from Irvine CA
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle R McHenry
I live in SoCal and these rattles have been my only complaint with my 2020 911 C2S.

Anybody know where the best dealership is down here to ACTUALLY fix this stuff?

Irvine = no fix and screwdriver gouge to my dash
South Bay = we don’t hear it

?? open to any suggestions within reasonable driving distance from Irvine CA
I've heard good things about Circle Porsche in Long Beach. Haven't tried them myself yet. And welcome to the forum.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:18 PM
vlastan3
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 992 interior rattles

I had one rattle and after second attempt to address it I now have 2 more rattles! One is behind the seatbelt one in steering column and one in A pillar! I now raised it with the service manager. I am so angry to give the car back yesterday telling me all is fixed!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Mingfan Sun
1st Gear

Default I think I have the same issue

Mine makes the same squeaking noise from inside the driver side dashboard, it only happen in the morning when car is cold, then goes away after 20 mins or so when the car and temperature heats up.

see attached video clip.

is this the noice of the steering rack touching the boot? Or something else?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2081.MOV (5.96 MB, 193 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Mingfan Sun
Mine makes the same squeaking noise from inside the driver side dashboard, it only happen in the morning when car is cold, then goes away after 20 mins or so when the car and temperature heats up.

see attached video clip.

is this the noice of the steering rack touching the boot? Or something else?
I had a similar (resonating) sound as yours and I felt like it came from somewhere around the speaker area in the driver's door.. It only happened (similarly to you) when it had been cold outside and the car was cold too (and then went away). The dealer looked into it several times but they never found anything. Now that the weather is warmer, I haven't heard it in a while. So weird! Oh well, now I have a "new" strange noise again, coming from the rear view mirror area. As described above, this particular noise was already "fixed" once by the dealer by changing the plastic panel that the mirror is attached to in the roof. Clearly, it didn't solve the problem. Alternatively, the same reason/flaw that caused it in the first panel has returned. Anyone else had this?

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-05-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise driving me nuts