Sponsored by:

992 audio choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM
kheopsb
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 992 audio choices

Hoping this isn't a duplicate thread (apologies if it is), I'm specing a 992 turbo s and am debating if the burmeister audio option is worth it. I'm going with the noise reducing glass to manage in car noise, i am somewhat of an audiophile, and plan on using it as a daily driver.
It​ would be great to get feedback from current 992 owners who have both the Bose and burmeister to see what the experience is like.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by kheopsb
Hoping this isn't a duplicate thread (apologies if it is), I'm specing a 992 turbo s and am debating if the burmeister audio option is worth it. I'm going with the noise reducing glass to manage in car noise, i am somewhat of an audiophile, and plan on using it as a daily driver.
It​ would be great to get feedback from current 992 owners who have both the Bose and burmeister to see what the experience is like.
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...io-option.html
Old 08-02-2020, 12:38 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,056 Likes on 531 Posts

Ive had both and while the burm is very nice. Im not sure its worth the extra cost. The Bose is plenty if you ask me. I also feel the Bose has cleaner base than the burm. If i were to do it again, I would skip the burm and use that money for another options.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (11-06-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:50 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 822 Likes on 455 Posts

It's completely worth it, especially at louder volumes. And frankly a Turbo S without it is like a 911 without sport chrono.
brucewinter (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:15 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 781 Posts

Burmester is worth the few extra dollars relative to the cost of a Turbo S; similar to an upgrade to Bose in a "regular" 992. If you're going with noise-insulating glass and have a discerning ear, then it's probably a must-have option.
kheopsb (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 469 Posts

Mentioned it there, but I still think the cabin has too much noise for any upgraded system to be worth much in the 992 platform and I've had 991s with both burm and Bose and my 992 has bose, with my upcoming 992 turbo with Bose specced...and I've also heard that the burm constantly shakes the panels around it which isnt really fixable, vs the Bose's issue where they just replace the speaker and it's fine. I don't actually think in this new set of 992 turbo/s burm will be nearly as important as it was on the 991.2, where it was actually quite a bit crisper and cleaner than the Bose...at the end of the day, it's personal. If you're ordering a "normal" spec car...maybe go with it to keep it special, but if your spec is unique, not sure it will matter resale wise.
russbert (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:31 PM
kheopsb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Mentioned it there, but I still think the cabin has too much noise for any upgraded system to be worth much in the 992 platform and I've had 991s with both burm and Bose and my 992 has bose, with my upcoming 992 turbo with Bose specced...and I've also heard that the burm constantly shakes the panels around it which isnt really fixable, vs the Bose's issue where they just replace the speaker and it's fine. I don't actually think in this new set of 992 turbo/s burm will be nearly as important as it was on the 991.2, where it was actually quite a bit crisper and cleaner than the Bose...at the end of the day, it's personal. If you're ordering a "normal" spec car...maybe go with it to keep it special, but if your spec is unique, not sure it will matter resale wise.
all great points, which unfortunately leave me in the same limbo I started with 😏. the shaking issue is the real remaining concern at this point. the option cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things, and it will certainly help the resale equation, I'm just wondering how serious the panel shaking issue is, seems like that would be a deal breaker
Old 08-02-2020, 02:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,056 Likes on 531 Posts

My burm rattled like crazy. The dealer had to add padding to the passenger side door. I will not get burm again for this reason as well. Its bass heavy, and falls off real quick. Its like they set the bass gain to +10 on a 6" woofer. Its too much for whatever size it is. For the first time ever, I actually tried -negative bass on my EQ.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:03 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

This post may be of some help. Moe Mistry of Glistening Perfection in conjunction with MusicCar Northwest have 3 stages of upgrades to the Bose system. 992 options are for later this year. I have yet to receive my 992 Cab, but have spec'd the Bose. Rather than upgrading to the Burmester, I'm going to live with the Bose and if I'm unhappy, will have Moe upgrade. The Stage 2 upgrade should be close in cost to the Burmester upgrade, but also includes the door sound deadening.

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...d-coating.html

Last edited by kpblade; 08-02-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:03 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

if you play music pretty loud you don’t hear any road / cabin noise and that’s where the B is better anyway .. at louder settings.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kheopsb
all great points, which unfortunately leave me in the same limbo I started with 😏. the shaking issue is the real remaining concern at this point. the option cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things, and it will certainly help the resale equation, I'm just wondering how serious the panel shaking issue is, seems like that would be a deal breaker
a) it’s not on many cars .. just some
b) it can be addressed should you get it.
c) pretty sure it has also occurred on Bose systems

Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
a) it’s not on many cars .. just some
b) it can be addressed should you get it.
c) pretty sure it has also occurred on Bose systems

The bose issue was with mainly bad passenger speakers, not the door panel needing to be refit with more deadening etc FWIW. Mine had that. I mean yeah you can turn up any sound system to drown out noise, but the whole point of a high fidelity system is how crisp the mids and highs are even when they don't need to be blasted, granted I love my music loud so maybe that does work haha.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Xsulai
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same spot as you but my car will be base 992 with noise reducing glass and am worried that upgrading the sound system wont change much because of the road noise
Old 08-02-2020, 09:11 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

The bose issue was with mainly bad passenger speakers, not the door panel needing to be refit with more deadening etc FWIW. Mine had that. I mean yeah you can turn up any sound system to drown out noise, but the whole point of a high fidelity system is how crisp the mids and highs are even when they don't need to be blasted, granted I love my music loud so maybe that does work haha.
Originally Posted by Xsulai
I am in the same spot as you but my car will be base 992 with noise reducing glass and am worried that upgrading the sound system wont change much because of the road noise
bottom line, if you plan to play Vivaldi at a nice, peaceful volume while cruising down the road at 75mph .. there will be undetectable difference between the two systems... because the car is not a Maybach or S class.. that is why we drive it. HOWEVER, if you are playing AC/DC at a loud level (and I caveat this by saying you cannot turn this all the way up, it will destroy your hearing).. the sound of the Burmester at mid high levels, is far nicer than the Bose (comparing this directly twice with two different friends 911, a 992 and a 991.2).
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
drgav2005 (10-29-2020), kheopsb (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:40 AM
kheopsb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 992Sam
bottom line, if you plan to play Vivaldi at a nice, peaceful volume while cruising down the road at 75mph .. there will be undetectable difference between the two systems... because the car is not a Maybach or S class.. that is why we drive it. HOWEVER, if you are playing AC/DC at a loud level (and I caveat this by saying you cannot turn this all the way up, it will destroy your hearing).. the sound of the Burmester at mid high levels, is far nicer than the Bose (comparing this directly twice with two different friends 911, a 992 and a 991.2).
Makes sense, Bose will be fine i suppose.

Quick Reply: 992 audio choices