Sponsored by:

992 audio choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:30 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 822 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by PBM
....not in the corner of a bedroom no, maybe properly placed in a living room ( or listening room ) . Saying that ...there is nothing such as an "audiophile" apart from boring ( usually old ) farts in pullovers who stand around talking about the pretend merits of mystical cables and power strips.
Apart from my unwarranted spewings .....that is some sweet kit you got there. Buying quality is never a mistake when one can afford .
I have no choice but to place it where it is... combination of two factors, small condo (SF Bay Area living isn't cheap)... and the sound doesn't make it into the neighbors unit at this spot.. I assure you though, the loss due to placement isn't the end of the world, It sounds heavily ... Life is about compromises.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

We went with the Bose, since the standard setup looks pretty bad.

I’m not hopeful, though. We had an 800-watt system on our old M3 and I always found it muffled and disappointing. I know output is only one part of the puzzle, though, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. My wife blasts music, I usually just listen to the engine.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:53 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by PBM
Saying that ...there is nothing such as an "audiophile" apart from boring ( usually old ) farts in pullovers who stand around talking about the pretend merits of mystical cables and power strips.
That is so funny. I love reading the audiophile magazines/websites but you're kind of spot on :-)
The following users liked this post:
PBM (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 01:21 PM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I have no choice but to place it where it is... combination of two factors, small condo (SF Bay Area living isn't cheap)... and the sound doesn't make it into the neighbors unit at this spot.. I assure you though, the loss due to placement isn't the end of the world, It sounds heavily ... Life is about compromises.
Just ignore me ! its great kit you got ( both cases ) and ironically a good analogy about the high end system installed in the 911 . At least putting top equipment in a less ideal surrounding doesn't make the experience worse
Old 11-07-2020, 01:58 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PBM
Just ignore me ! its great kit you got ( both cases ) and ironically a good analogy about the high end system installed in the 911 . At least putting top equipment in a less ideal surrounding doesn't make the experience worse
your point is valid.... but taken to an extreme.. where do you draw the line? A perfectly setup acoustically perfect room is about 5% of the rooms out there... same can be said for a car. I say go for the best you can under the circumstances you've been dealt.
txpackers (11-08-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Have you tried toeing in the speakers and moving the ceramic vase and trinkets away from the R speaker?
stevepow (11-15-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 05:08 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Have you tried toeing in the speakers and moving the ceramic vase and trinkets away from the R speaker?
its absolutely optimal for this room where they are .. I have a dB meter as well as. Sound pressure and where they are is working perfectly, can’t you tell from the video? I mean it sounded better than when I first heard the speakers at my dealer “listening room”.
Russian Mafia (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 05:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,782 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Helios59
We went with the Bose, since the standard setup looks pretty bad.

I’m not hopeful, though. We had an 800-watt system on our old M3 and I always found it muffled and disappointing. I know output is only one part of the puzzle, though, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. My wife blasts music, I usually just listen to the engine.
There's a bunch of folks here who are more than happy with the Bose system which is cool, and a bunch of others who feel they need more which is also cool. No right answer apart from it's in a Porsche
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
Bluehighways (06-07-2021), Helios59 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

its absolutely optimal for this room where they are .. I have a dB meter as well as. Sound pressure and where they are is working perfectly, can’t you tell from the video? I mean it sounded better than when I first heard the speakers at my dealer “listening room”.
It did sound pretty good.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:05 AM
Lozzer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 992Sam, I’m in the process of configuring my 992, could do with some advice. I love listening to music and have played guitar for many years. A good sound system in the car is important…… but…… not sure whether to go with the basic system, go with the Bose or Burmester….. I’ve read a number of comments on the pros and cons of what to spec, but still undecided….. at the moment I’ve configured the Burmester…. Would appreciate advice from an audiophile 😀😀😀 who owns a 992.
Kind regards, Mark.
P.s. Your hi if set up is stunning.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:56 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lozzer
Hi 992Sam, I’m in the process of configuring my 992, could do with some advice. I love listening to music and have played guitar for many years. A good sound system in the car is important…… but…… not sure whether to go with the basic system, go with the Bose or Burmester….. I’ve read a number of comments on the pros and cons of what to spec, but still undecided….. at the moment I’ve configured the Burmester…. Would appreciate advice from an audiophile 😀😀😀 who owns a 992.
Kind regards, Mark.
P.s. Your hi if set up is stunning.

Thank you... I have the Burmester and love it, but I will not lie, unless you have the double pane windows, or drive on very well paved roads often at speeds below 70mph, the road noise can be high and thus lost on this system a bit ... UNLESS you are playing it at moderately high volumes ... in ether case, my experience is the distortion at moderate volume is lower on the Bermester.. for me it was worth it.
Lozzer (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:01 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 519 Posts

Thank you... I have the Burmester and love it, but I will not lie, unless you have the double pane windows, or drive on very well paved roads often at speeds below 70mph, the road noise can be high and thus lost on this system a bit ... UNLESS you are playing it at moderately high volumes ... in ether case, my experience is the distortion at moderate volume is lower on the Bermester.. for me it was worth it.
I have a M240i convertible with the HK system. With the top down it works. I currently have the Burmester in my Aventurine Green Targa 4S spec, but wonder if I should go with the Bose and add the sports front fascia instead? The Targa is going to have some wind noise and any extra fidelity will probably be lost. I really want the LED Matrix lights, too - but being in the US it still seems like a waste of money.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Lozzer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for getting back to me….. I won’t have the double pane windows and the roads in the UK are mixed….. thanks for your advice, will have to think carefully. I am impressed with the Burmester system from what I have seen on You Tube etc, but am aware it is quite costly. Kind regards, Mark.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:11 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I have a M240i convertible with the HK system. With the top down it works. I currently have the Burmester in my Aventurine Green Targa 4S spec, but wonder if I should go with the Bose and add the sports front fascia instead? The Targa is going to have some wind noise and any extra fidelity will probably be lost. I really want the LED Matrix lights, too - but being in the US it still seems like a waste of money.
Did not like the HK in my M3 and didn't love in my M2. Really enjoying the Burmester.

Quick Reply: 992 audio choices