Sponsored by:

Liquid Wrap vs Traditional Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 03:19 AM
Poonstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Liquid Wrap vs Traditional Wrap

I was wondering if anyone here has done a liquid wrap?
It is basically sprayed on and polished/buffed to almost be like paint.
I am considering it for my car which is here this week. Instead of PPF. I figure i will have it protected and at the same time enjoy the car in a different color for a few years before i peel it off and then can enjoy the natural color.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

I've seen many videos from Dip Your Car. The work they do looks amazing in online. I have not seen a quality job in person though. There have been a few "beater" type cars that had spray wraps and they appeared to be rushed. I'd imagine 99% of it would be the cleaning/masking process, and then the experience of the installer.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:15 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Poonstar
I was wondering if anyone here has done a liquid wrap?
It is basically sprayed on and polished/buffed to almost be like paint.
I am considering it for my car which is here this week. Instead of PPF. I figure i will have it protected and at the same time enjoy the car in a different color for a few years before i peel it off and then can enjoy the natural color.
Get it done by a serious liquid wrap shop with lots or references. It requires paint-like prep.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:05 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

If you go over to McLaren Life, a number of posts on that site on a few 720s owners doing it. Looks great, and real paint like. Summary is that depending on use of your car (Daily vs weekend, track vs not track) it will last 2 - 4 years. Looks like a number of authorized dealers in the US (bigger cities).
Old 07-23-2020, 02:23 AM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

I did it. Auto flex and spray wrap pro. Was debating changing the colour at first, but in the end decided to stick with the clear PPF. Same price but no pigment in the spray. Completely seamless and only disassembly required was the mirrors which was nice. Feels a bit tacky to touch, not quite like paint as I was expecting but close enough. Aside from that, I can’t even tell the car has anything on it. Maybe the tackiness will go away after a wash. There’s going to be some orange peel, but the severity will depend on the spray technique of the applicator and It can be wet sanded and polished. I’d recommend it but the quality you get will depend on the installer, although that applies to any PPF.

If I decide to keep the car for a few years,
I’ll probably do a colour change then.

One thing you should be aware of: you can’t wax it or ceramic coat it for 3 months.

Youre in Vancouver? Are you considering the Dip Dr?

Last edited by leaf345; 07-23-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 PM
Poonstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leaf345
I did it. Auto flex and spray wrap pro. Was debating changing the colour at first, but in the end decided to stick with the clear PPF. Same price but no pigment in the spray. Completely seamless and only disassembly required was the mirrors which was nice. Feels a bit tacky to touch, not quite like paint as I was expecting but close enough. Aside from that, I can’t even tell the car has anything on it. Maybe the tackiness will go away after a wash. There’s going to be some orange peel, but the severity will depend on the spray technique of the applicator and It can be wet sanded and polished. I’d recommend it but the quality you get will depend on the installer, although that applies to any PPF.

If I decide to keep the car for a few years,
I’ll probably do a colour change then.

One thing you should be aware of: you can’t wax it or ceramic coat it for 3 months.

Youre in Vancouver? Are you considering the Dip Dr?

Yes i am in Vancouver and considering Dip Dr. They seem to do good work. Or i might just go the vinyl wrap route.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 AM
snowmuch
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Vinyl wrap is easier to remove as liquid wrap will have too much over spray even if its done properly. You will still see residue in edges and stuff with liquid wrap.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:49 AM
snowmuch
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Poonstar
Yes i am in Vancouver and considering Dip Dr. They seem to do good work. Or i might just go the vinyl wrap route.
If you're close to Richmond try JRS auto. Ask James say Aaron send you for a good price if you wanted to go with vinly wrap

Quick Reply: Liquid Wrap vs Traditional Wrap