Sponsored by:

Soul Sport Cats installed in my C4...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 12:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
The price gouging in this industry is obscene.

I’ve been quoted $420, $540, and my dealer said $1720!! They quoted 8 hours!

I guess my Soul cats will remain uninstalled till I find a reasonable person to do this. And no, DIY is not an option for me

My mod friendly dealer tried that BS on me too. They keep telling me the bumper has to come off to do it correctly. They are so full of ****. I ended up having an porsche indy do mine for 260 bucks. Call your local Porsche indy and show him the instructions. They will mostly likely ask for 2hrs of labor.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (01-23-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tvlaan
...and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I have a C4 with PSE (and Sports Chrono) which is nicely broken-in with about 3000 miles since February. I was pleased with the sound from the PSE, but wanted a little more volume and a deeper tone without being obnoxious. I spent a few weeks researching 4 different brands and reading a ton of threads on the forums. After talking with the folks at Soul I decided to take the plunge. I really like the look and upon receiving them, i can attest to the build quality - really solid and the satin finish is as cool in person as it looks.

The install took about 45 minutes and the tech said it was incredibly easy and fitment was spot on. No real smell after the first two minutes (including on any subsequent drives), so i guess they just needed to get warmed up that first time to burn off anything left from manufacturing. No check engine light so far after a week of driving.

The sound is exactly what i was hoping for. In Normal mode it sounds pretty similar, turn on PSE and it sounds a little deeper. In Sport mode it really opens up and has a bit more volume. The posts saying 30-50% louder feel accurate to me. Additionally, there are quite a few more burbles and pops which i also enjoy. As for any power gains, I honestly don't notice much difference. My 0-60 times were mostly consistent before and after, but i got my best time every with the new sport cats installed - 3.47 seconds (although my best was previously 3.51). Could be the cats, but could be the weather, who knows.

When all is said and done, i'm really happy i went ahead with the mod. Quick and easy to do and the sound is absolutely amazing over 6000 RPMs.

A pic for fun:

Thanks!
Need advice before I start. When disconnecting the o2 sensor and reconnecting seems that spinning the wires is a little shakey.. Not an ace mechanic and don’t want to screw up. Thanks
DrewTJ50 (09-23-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 02:49 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyray
Need advice before I start. When disconnecting the o2 sensor and reconnecting seems that spinning the wires is a little shakey.. Not an ace mechanic and don’t want to screw up. Thanks
You can either find the wire connector and disconnect it at the other end or do what most do and just wind it up. I always pre-wind the wires in the opposite direction before installing so it has no strain on wires when done.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:30 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax15GTS
Duckman
Hey brother spent 26yrs as STS, I did all the boats, 731;617,619,626, 742, 734, Providence, and OK city. I loved my GTS 991.1, the 992 it best Porsche I have had, #15. Just ordered wife a 718 GTS 4.0 be here in month. I am over in Jacksonville, FL. I have another STS in Rhode Island has a 997 Turbo.
Be safe
thank you submariners for putting yourself in harms way for our sake !
SamD (02-07-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
You can either find the wire connector and disconnect it at the other end or do what most do and just wind it up. I always pre-wind the wires in the opposite direction before installing so it has no strain on wires when done.
prewinding is what I was thinking for reinstalling, I’m guessing removing the original won’t over torque the wires. It’s only got a couple thousand miles on so the wires aren’t brittle I’m sure. Probably over thinking this, just don’t want to F it up. Haven’t seen any info on this so must not be as big a deal as I’m making it . Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Update: Cats installed and happy with the results. Have only driven about twenty miles, and really like the sound. Installation straight forward with no surprises. Thanks again.
The following 3 users liked this post by Babyray:
Soul Performance (02-05-2021), TK42ONE (02-05-2021), Tupper (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:16 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Update: Cats installed and happy with the results. Have only driven about twenty miles, and really like the sound. Installation straight forward with no surprises. Thanks again.
I just got mine today. I'll give it a go Sunday.
Babyray (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by TK42ONE
I just got mine today. I'll give it a go Sunday.
I think a lift is the ticket. Not sure I could have gotten my fat *** under there without.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:30 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
My mod friendly dealer tried that BS on me too. They keep telling me the bumper has to come off to do it correctly. They are so full of ****. I ended up having an porsche indy do mine for 260 bucks. Call your local Porsche indy and show him the instructions. They will mostly likely ask for 2hrs of labor.
Which Porsche Indys have you used/recommended in the OC?
Old 02-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ What's your feeling about:

1. Increase in volume of exhaust
2. Change in tone of exhaust (more "throaty" I've heard?)
3. Turbo spooling sound
4. Any change in power or turbo lag? (I'm largely skeptical on this one but you never know...)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:50 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

BTW, I still have my Sport cats in my basement. Just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can finally get these installed. WINTER SUCKS!!!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:32 AM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ What's your feeling about:

1. Increase in volume of exhaust
2. Change in tone of exhaust (more "throaty" I've heard?)
3. Turbo spooling sound
4. Any change in power or turbo lag? (I'm largely skeptical on this one but you never know...)
I haven't really driven much since install, but what I've noticed so far is pretty much in line with the other responses. I haven't noticed any real difference in performance. Exhaust note is deeper in both sport and normal mode. A little louder, but not a great deal louder. Definitely more pronounced burble and pop noises, and turbo noise at idle from outside the car. Not hearing the turbos inside the car, but my hearing or lack thereof could be partially responsible for that. I haven't tried sport plus yet. What I noticed that I haven't heard others report is the deeper rumble at cruise, lower rpm in normal mode. I like that, before you could barely hear the motor. Definitely not obnoxious or too loud. Im happy with the set up and this is probably the only performance modification I'll do to the car. I'd have to say go for it. A little pricey, but what isn't with these cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Babyray:
Soul Performance (02-08-2021), Tupper (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:53 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

I've got a quick jack so it should go easy...I hope LOL
Old 02-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by TK42ONE
I've got a quick jack so it should go easy...I hope LOL
Good luck. That one bolt with the head up and the o2 sensor are the only mild challenge. The one bolt twists loose from the bottom fairly easy, especially on a new car with no corrosion.
TK42ONE (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:03 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Good luck. That one bolt with the head up and the o2 sensor are the only mild challenge. The one bolt twists loose from the bottom fairly easy, especially on a new car with no corrosion.
Well both my bolts are in the wrong direction. What size socket did you put on the bottom of the bolt? Having trouble finding 8 point sockets local.

Quick Reply: Soul Sport Cats installed in my C4...