992 C2S - Terrifying on track brake fade

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 11:43 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Update:

The service manager had me and their tech go attempt to replicate the on-track issue and were able to do so after about 30 mins of hard driving on a very windy nearby country road outside of town. He took some measurements of fluid temp, caliper temp, rotor temp, etc. Because my local dealership also services all of the company Porsche cars for Barber he had some interesting info. The first round of Porsche Experience cars for our location all came originally with steel brakes and were constantly in for brake related issues. They are now all equipped with PCCB and the first round of cars were shipped off somewhere or sold as demo cars. His opinion is that the front rubber portion of the brake lines is an inferior design to the 991 and upon excessive heat and abuse the rubber gets too soft and expands, creating a problematic issue with pedal feel and caliper compression (hence the dead pedal feel). This is his opinion and was going to research if the parts have been updated during production and if so, get my car some new brake lines. He stated I replicated a problem with another 992 C2S from a few months ago, all the brake lines were replaced and two new front calipers. Getting Porsche to allow it was the biggest hurdle at the time to get the car on the road again.
Good to know. I'll put SS brake lines on my list of immediate upgrades. All my track cars have had them.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:46 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Update:

The service manager had me and their tech go attempt to replicate the on-track issue and were able to do so after about 30 mins of hard driving on a very windy nearby country road outside of town. He took some measurements of fluid temp, caliper temp, rotor temp, etc. Because my local dealership also services all of the company Porsche cars for Barber he had some interesting info. The first round of Porsche Experience cars for our location all came originally with steel brakes and were constantly in for brake related issues. They are now all equipped with PCCB and the first round of cars were shipped off somewhere or sold as demo cars. His opinion is that the front rubber portion of the brake lines is an inferior design to the 991 and upon excessive heat and abuse the rubber gets too soft and expands, creating a problematic issue with pedal feel and caliper compression (hence the dead pedal feel). This is his opinion and was going to research if the parts have been updated during production and if so, get my car some new brake lines. He stated I replicated a problem with another 992 C2S from a few months ago, all the brake lines were replaced and two new front calipers. Getting Porsche to allow it was the biggest hurdle at the time to get the car on the road again.
That is extremely informative so thanks very much for sharing what you found! Obviously I (and lots of others) will be anxious to know what is found out about whether or not these parts have since been updated during production.

Looking forward to hearing more, and thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
Todd C (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Not sure if these will fit our 992. This is a necessary upgrade for a track car.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...el-brake-lines
Old 07-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

Update:

If this is the case, what a stupid engineering blunder from Porsche's end. I can't believe this didn't come up in their testing?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM
g00dparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I did my runs on OEM Porsche brake fluid.

OEM Porsche brake fluid is DOT 4, which is more than sufficient for track duty. Of course, you can go better (SRF, Endless, etc.), the but OEM fluid is pretty good and more than capable.
I've boiled DOT4 fluid on track in a 110hp Miata, which does not hit anywhere near the same top speeds as something like a 911. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I'd not turn a wheel on track with anything less than 600 deg fluid in my Porsche.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:34 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

If you get serious about tracking your car.....

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0S/Iron%20disc
Old 07-10-2020, 06:52 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Update:

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Good to know. I'll put SS brake lines on my list of immediate upgrades. All my track cars have had them.
Yes, good to know. Would be great to find out if they all have the same lines or if there has been a change along the way.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:39 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

Just an update:

First attempt after waiting for Porsche to approve everything was brake lines, fluid flush and pedal. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Second attempt was new brake hardware, pads up front, fluid flushed again. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Third attempt was new front loaded calipers, fluid flushed again, brake booster replaced. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Fourth attempt, new front rotors, new rear rotors and pads, new pedal assembly. Same issues over 90 degrees but drastically prolonged (took several hard drives to replicate).

Currently we're waiting to hear back if I can pay the delta in parts costs to update the car to PCCB.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:59 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

^^^what fluid are you using?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Todd C
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for keeping us posted, Jesse. I hope this all works out well for you.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:05 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Just an update:

First attempt after waiting for Porsche to approve everything was brake lines, fluid flush and pedal. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Second attempt was new brake hardware, pads up front, fluid flushed again. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Third attempt was new front loaded calipers, fluid flushed again, brake booster replaced. Same issues over 90 degrees.
Fourth attempt, new front rotors, new rear rotors and pads, new pedal assembly. Same issues over 90 degrees but drastically prolonged (took several hard drives to replicate).

Currently we're waiting to hear back if I can pay the delta in parts costs to update the car to PCCB.
Wow—that is crazy that you’re still having the same issue. Maybe Porsche brakes have found their match in you :-) Seriously, though, I hope you get some satisfaction at some point—that would drive me bonkers.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9914s
^^^what fluid are you using?
Porsche fluid, after all, it's getting worked on at the dealership completely under warranty and I'm not out a penny so far. The moment I start changing the parts protocol I am on the hook for the costs associated with the non factory parts and any failure related to directly or indirectly. This car is my daily driver, not a toy. I'd like to keep it under warranty.

Also, before anyone starts quoting snippets of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, I've been in the automotive aftermarket parts manufacturing corridor my entire working adult life. I am extremely versed on it and using the factory fluid here is the best way to limit my liability on the braking system failures in my professional opinion.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Wow—that is crazy that you’re still having the same issue. Maybe Porsche brakes have found their match in you :-) Seriously, though, I hope you get some satisfaction at some point—that would drive me bonkers.
I am actually just stoked Porsche is working with me on this the way they are. As it is currently, it's light years better than it was with the changes they've made but it still has some fade I'd like to see go away.

If I can't upgrade to the PCCB reasonably I'll just keep the car as is and likely start taking the Lambo to the track more.
The following 2 users liked this post by JesseRohr:
markchristenson (07-23-2020), rouxeny (07-25-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:26 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

I understand why you don't want to use a non Porsche fluid but this sure sounds like a brake fluid issue. Staying with the same fluid, one option is to improve the brake cooling. Glad you are getting support from Porsche and hopefully this helps us all out as Porsche figures out what is happening.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I have to say I feel for you with this one, it's very strange. Has anyone else responded with - or that you know of - the same issue / experience? I mean, the brakes on these cars have been well up to the job for years and over several model cycles.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S - Terrifying on track brake fade